Crossmen have no housing in Madison

thanks for clarify that. i definately misread your original post.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Columbine, sexual assualt, fires, medical liability, someone trips and falls it's lawsuit time, overtime to the janitors etc....heck, I wouldn't house a corps.

I know that is the way those bureaucrats think, but I wonder if anyone could produce one single lawsuit that has emerged against a host school by a drum corps or its members.

crossmen were a good 2 + hours from housing in 99 and 02 in madison, so this isn't a new thing...

Really? I must have been so into it because I thought it was something like 30 minutes away in 02. I do tho remember in 2003 getting shacked up in Cocoa Beach and being an hour away from Orlando, without traffic.

From my to years spent there, there was ALWAYS a strict policy when it came to following the host schools policies. In fact, we were usually told the policies right after stretch and run where we would get news as to what we would focus on that day. There were a few days were we couldn't go shirtless, added into the music is cool days we had to wear shirts (not problem for me, since I always took off the shirt 2 weeks before finals.) We were often told that schools specially requested that we rehearse at their site because of our attitude to them.

With practice sites being harder to find, every corps need to take up strict adhearence to all the rules given to them. Not doing so, may not just hurt your corps, but other corps in the future.

Edited by CrossmenBaritone

I know that is the way those bureaucrats think, but I wonder if anyone could produce one single lawsuit that has emerged against a host school by a drum corps or its members.

I'm sure the answer is no, but I'm attempting to think like a school administrator who knows little or nothing about drumcorps.

A lot of these school districts, especially the suburbian types with the money have to adopt rediculous measures due to parents, lawsuits, and school shootings etc. Like I said, it's a stupid world we live in.

I am furious with the corps that ruined the housing site that's only about a 15 minute drive from our house.

Mike/Carla...Can I assume that this school is in Cobb County? I know that in the past, back in the 80s, the school system banned drum corps from using the county's school facilities because of such lack of respect for their property. Do you think this one corps' actions might possibly lead to another such county wide ban? If word of this misuse of facilities gets to the School Board, we might lose the use of ALL Cobb County Schools, which would be a terrible loss, even though there weren't but a few housing corps this weekend. Any loss of future housing sites will make big events even more difficult.

There has to be some kind of discipline established. But what could you do? You can't fine some corps as they barely have enough money to tour. You can't pull them out of shows as that would be ripping the fans off.

There has to be some kind of discipline established. But what could you do? You can't fine some corps as they barely have enough money to tour. You can't pull them out of shows as that would be ripping the fans off.

It doesn't seem like too much of a penalty to make offending corps pay for damages in the case where the school ends up with expenses and in all cases of host rule violations to make offending corps responsible for finding their own facilities without DCI help.

This kind of discipline (proper respect for a host's hospitality) can be instilled in any corps that has a staff that makes it a priority. And it would become a priority if there were consequences felt by offenders. This is a case where a few individuals can degrade the quality of an activity with over 3000 (DCI Div I only) participants.

Sure, a litigious environment is the backdrop school adminstrators have to work with, but it's inexcusable to give them a concrete rationale for acting on their fears and refuse the use of their facilities.

and by not fining them or pulling them out of the show you send the message that there is no punishment for this type of behavior and therefore encourage it.

which in the long run will result in NO school allowing ANY corps to stay EVER AGAIN.

.... scoop up the hair, the shower overflowed out of the locker room, into the hallway, down the hallway and into the athletic department offices, soaking boxes of new team uniforms that were sitting on the floor.

That was strike one.

The principal came to the school because of the flooding. First thing he finds is someone smoking on his campus, which was clearly marked as a non-smoking facility.

Strike two.

Then, the principal finds an empty rum bottle in one of the classrooms being used by the corps for staff sleeping.

That's strike three folks, and we're out as far as EVER using that facility again for corps housing.

THAT, my friend, is INEXCUSABLE.

This only happened recently.....this corps should be made to pay full restitution to the school. Complete with letters of apology etc. Hopefully the right thing can be done by this school, the goal of DCI should be to mend this relationship....do whatever it takes.

I remember marching with corps back in the late 80s. We were made well aware of our corps and other drumcorps reputations for leaving housing sites shabby, and breaking rules. Part of our corps desire to get better was to be as good off the field as on. Our policy became "leave the school better than when you find it".

The DIV 2 corps I was on staff with even went as far as to have all of their own cleaning supplies. Buckets, brooms, mops etc. It takes one or two janitors to clean a school.....do you know how much you can clean with 135 kids? Leaving a housing site better should be a NO BRAINER!

In today's day and age (smoking policy/law, litigation etc) the utmost care should be taken to to be as professional as possible. Maybe DCI should get involved with corps "code of conduct". DCI now oversees the financial stability of a corps, so why not?

Having fun on tour is what DCI is all about. But if drinking, carelessness and stupidity threaten the ability of other corps to have housing at a show site, the offending corps should be held accountable.....in a big way.

As a side note: Being a former staffer that like to have a few drinks on tour, I really think a staff that is drinking and partying all summer is doing a diservice to the paying corps members. Many corps have member policies on these matters, maybe it's time to have staff policies.

SO...

Is there anyone who lives in Wisconsin that knows of a place where the Crossmen can stay?? I think it would be awesome if they were able to locate something due to a little help from DCP.

I was just about to send them an e-mail suggesting UW@Whitewater or a Whitewater school. Looks like they have found their a place to stay in Whitewater. http://www.yea.org/site/News2?JServSession...ws_iv_ctrl=1401

Now the Cadets need a place for the 7th and 8th. http://www.yea.org/site/News2?JServSession...ws_iv_ctrl=1401