An apology to George and The Cadets

its really interesting how all the cavalier, phantom and bluecoats fans are busy in this thread defending their right to bash cadets or defining it as "not so bad"

and Cadets fans do it as well. happens every year with every "target corps"

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been an interesting thread to read! Let me first say that, as a former Cadet, I am NOT a huge fan of the 2005 and 2006 shows. However, I do believe the quality of the writing and perfomance of the members both years has been incredible. I am a fan of George's however. Not because I marched there. But mostly I admire his dedication, and how much he cares about the experience of the kids.

One thing no one has mentioned yet: It may not be the actual scores and placements that bother George (and others). It could be what judges are basing those scores on during critique sessions. If the judges were saying, "I like your show, but it's just not as clean as the others", George might not have much to gripe about. But if judges are saying that they can't understand the show, and that there's too many distractions, then this could affect they way they perceive (and score) the entire production. And maybe THAT'S what his gripe is about (fair or not).

Quite possibly, if judges are not 'buying' the show, it would then be difficult for a judge to give the Cadets a higher score than another corps whose show he is definitely 'sold' on. Would this be unfair of the judge, since they ought to be judging performance and execution? If judges don't 'prefer' the Cadets show concept, or are confused by it, then only GE scores should be affected. I'm not saying this is what's going on, but if this IS the case, the George has plenty to gripe about.

This year, I much prefer Phantom's show to the Cadets' show. It entertains me more, and has lots more GE (for me). But I have to say that the Cadets' show is much deeper, with more layers, more for the members to execute, and more for the fan to take in. Now, execution among the members being equal, which corps scores higher? It all depends on the judge. Glad I'm not one of them!

looking at the recaps, i'd say cleanliness is the big issue

I saw the Cadets in Pittsburg KS. The "four" cg (Alice, White Rabbit, Red Queen, and Mat Hatter) were WONDERFUL performers and showed great showmanship. Although there were problems with the show that I previously posted (narration) it was an enjoyable show.

Interesting spin, answering a challenge with a question.

This is what the original poster said: "I haven't read too many Coats or Phantom fans bagging on the Cadets. They are too busy hyping their own shows, which they should!"

To which you sarcastically replied that he must use the Ignore feature quite a bit. And I asked YOU to please tell us who those people are who are bagging on the Cadets, instead of hyping their own shows.

I'm still waiting, because I was honestly curious who these people were.

Waiting...

You'll have to wait. . .its time for band camp. :blink:

By the way, didn't you just make a plea to all Phans (or FMM of Phantom) to stop bagging on Cavies in another thread?

Was I sarcastic in making my point earlier, yes. . .but it is definitely a tactic you often employ yourself.

You'll have to wait. . .its time for band camp. :blink:

By the way, didn't you just make a plea to all Phans (or FMM of Phantom) to stop bagging on Cavies in another thread?

Was I sarcastic in making my point earlier, yes. . .but it is definitely a tactic you often employ yourself.

Spin spin spin.

I'll keep waiting for you to give me those names.

As for the other thread, I implored phans to stop arguing with Cavies fmm, not to stop "bagging" on them. World of difference, skippy.

I'm dizzy from all the spinning. :lol:

there's a lot of folks from the "camps" bagging on the various other "camps" right now

"all" was the wrong word - I wasn't referring to the greater world at that point - just the "all" in terms of all those posting in this thread defending their right to "comment" on the show were guilty

anyway - this conversation is getting dull.

Allentown tonight!!

Spin spin spin.

I'll keep waiting for you to give me those names.

As for the other thread, I implored phans to stop arguing with Cavies fmm, not to stop "bagging" on them. World of difference, skippy.

I'm dizzy from all the spinning. :blink:

Nikk - there has been folks from each camp bagging on other camps. Bashing vs bagging is a fine line and open to debate.

If you think Phans haven't been doing this you're not really paying attention.

As for the need for the collective apology - I wish I could answer that one.....

It's just one person giving his opinion, that's all. I don't see why anyone would get all riled up over it. Of course no one thinks he is REALLY apologizing for all of DCP.

I agree - it is more heated this year, which points to the fact that this approach to show design has raised more ire than any of the other changes that have been pointed to while mocking the "day that drum corps died" mentality. My conclusion is that this kind of show is something the audience cannot and will not embrace.

BTW glad you changed your avatar George, the rabbit gave me the creeps. A Battlstar commander is one I can identify with! I'm sure our avatars will be good friends. :P

Actually the overall audience embraces it just fine...it's those here on DCP who are unwilling to accept shows that are outside of the norm that creates the furor.