An apology to George and The Cadets

Again, I keep hearing this, yet I haven't seen either you or TxMystreaux actually call out any of those people. I am genuinely curious...I want to know who has been bagging or bashing the Cadets. Can no one back up their claims and actually point out these people for me? I am genuinely interested in reading their posts and finding out what constitues bashing/bagging (whatever the heck that means) to different people.

I mean, surely you're not just tossing out blanket statements...I mean, if I said something like "Hey, all the Cadets on DCP are really obnoxious when they post, and I've seen lots of them bag on ___insert corps here___" then you'd want to know who it was I observed, wouldn't you? Especially since I used a "blanket word" like all?

I don't think I am asking for much...I want to know where those posts are.

Search for posts by Hrothgar15 - It won't take you long to find his opinions of the Cadets and what they are doing this year.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Search for posts by Hrothgar15 - It won't take you long to find his opinions of the Cadets and what they are doing this year.

He's talking specifically about Phantom and Bloo folks - Hrothgar sure has some strong opinions but he hasn't ever marched.

Except that, until this year, Hrothgar15 would have been considered a Cadets superfan, and has clearly claimed that the Cadets are his favourite corps in DCI. Many times. (I know, you wouldn't believe it by his posts this year, but it's true).

Spin spin spin.

I'll keep waiting for you to give me those names.

As for the other thread, I implored phans to stop arguing with Cavies fmm, not to stop "bagging" on them. World of difference, skippy.

I'm dizzy from all the spinning. :blink:

Skippy?

Are we in junior high now?

. . .back to my rehearsal.

So, you had enough time to post...just not enough time to identify anyone in particular?

As George once said..."interesting."

I think it is really too bad for the kids that make up the ranks of the cadets. You don't get into the world champion corps unless you are

top notch already. Then to dedicate so much effort and talent only to have to march a show that sucks so very, very badly. Shame on

Mr Hoppy and his staff. I didn't really like last year's show concept but there is no denying the skill with which it was performed. Same goes for this year - that drumline could be #1 if they were allowed to act like a real drumline. I figured that it would change for the better and the cadets' fans would be treated to another championship year. Hey - I'm a Madison fan before all others but I figured the cadets had at least a couple of years to go until they slipped down into the ranks again. I wonder how many first year cadets members wish they had tried out for a different corps.

So, you had enough time to post...just not enough time to identify anyone in particular?

As George once said..."interesting."

Right. It took no time to respond to your sarcasm and condescension.

There is no need for me to take the time and go search posts and "call out" people. Its obvious they are there.

Surely, you don't need me to point that out for you.

Edited by TXMystreaux

I think it is really too bad for the kids that make up the ranks of the cadets. You don't get into the world champion corps unless you are

top notch already. Then to dedicate so much effort and talent only to have to march a show that sucks so very, very badly. Shame on

Mr Hoppy and his staff. I didn't really like last year's show concept but there is no denying the skill with which it was performed. Same goes for this year - that drumline could be #1 if they were allowed to act like a real drumline. I figured that it would change for the better and the cadets' fans would be treated to another championship year. Hey - I'm a Madison fan before all others but I figured the cadets had at least a couple of years to go until they slipped down into the ranks again. I wonder how many first year cadets members wish they had tried out for a different corps.

You are more than allowed to dislike the show. . .to each his own. But I find it really sad that you even entertain the rest of the thoughts in your post.

Further down on Hop's blog from 8//06:

No way can The Cadets even be considered in the same category as the other 3 top corps that placed ahead of them last night, as their performance is SO FAR above what anyone else is doing. Yes, the others are clean... and simple, and BORING. Hopefully, your kids are hearing the crowd now! It is understandable that the entire organization must be feeling frustrated and discouraged, but PLEASE, continue to build them up!!!

Just like DCP -- 'Hop's Blog' will post things from people that ave their opinion of the Cadets. The only difference is 'Hop' Blog' isn't going to post things that talk about challenges or problems people see with Cadets program, or post things from people who think Cadets shouldn't be n the top 6!!!

Why am I mentioning this?? Because DCP allows all of us to speak our minds!!

:)

I have to admit that I am greatly disappointed he (George Hopkins) posted that remark. In many ways, I lose any and all sympathy for the criticism he receives when he is so willingly posting on a public journal that he thinks the shows of Blue Devils, The Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment are BORING. He apparently has a lack for designing anything if he cannot at least recognize the intracasies of the design in The Cavaliers' and Blue Devils' shows. Cleanliness and simplicity alone does NOT get you scoring 2-3 points above The Cadets.

Furthermore, while he is entitled to a personal opinion of someone else's product, he is the director of an allegedly world-class organization and is showing a dramatic lack of class by describing other's shows with such pedestrian vocabulary in a publicly viewed journal. I fully expect any director to hype his/her own corps and even criticize the judges who are actually paid and trained to analyze the shows, but to so blatantly trash the efforts and products of his collegues from other corps (i.e. Jeff Fiedler, Dave Gibbs, etc.) is beneath any level of professionalism, especially since YEA does so many joint business and musical ventures with Blue Devils, The Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment. If he expects the crowd to show more respect to his Cadets, then he needs to start by showing more respect to other corps, in my opinion.

Finally, I don't like that the tone of his blog indicates that the crowd is just now coming around to like The Cadets' show because they are getting over their bias or something similar. He does seem to stop and realize that The Cadets are putting on a different product than they were at the beginning of the season. The singing is gone from the opener and the music has been changed. Other additions/subtractions have been made. In other words, it's not the same product!! He does not realize that maybe (just maybe) the crowds generally did not like the initial product and prefer the entertainment of the current product, and that has led to a better response.

In some aspects, I have the greatest respect for George Hopkins, what he has done, is doing, and will try to do for both The Cadets and the drum corps activity. But at time like this, I feel he needs to be better at practicing some decorum or at least practice a less juvenile level of analyzation on a blog that countless people are going to read. Vent mercilessly in a private journal, not a public one.

Edited by pags

How are they not acting like a real drumline? They have a 2+ minute solo! And otherwise play as much as they did last year except for the ballad.

Further, it's their music performance scores that are holding them back, not so much the product. Granted, some say that's because judges aren't giving them a fair shake BECAUSE of the product...