When were you deflowered?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some high school friends marching 82 Freelancers. I visited my dad in Denver that summer and the Freelancrs were going to be there.

So my first show was DATR, 1982. I remember Freelancers (loved the entire show), Madison Scouts (Ice Castles) and Phantom (Spartacus!) What an awesome show. Hooked every since.

The show that sold me on everthing was the 1969 troopers using the following music:

Hang 'Em High

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Tumbling Tumble Weeds

Aquarius

Let the Sun Shine In

When Johnny Comes Marching Home :worthy:

This was my beginning in drum corps marching with the Eldoradans, Blue Knights, Anheim Kingsmen and aging out with the Blue Devils in 1979. Every Drum Corp gave me something to carry on in life. What everybody forgets if you start with a corps that is low and not going to make finals it really gives you the appreciation to enjoy what you worked for to accomplish the final ending.

"Deflowered":

It "May" have been in 1956. I do remember it was a senior contest, and the Hawthorne Caballeros won. Bridgeport's 'Parade of Champions".

Go get em' Ralph....

Elphaba

July 4th, 1964 Oswego, NY on the parade grounds of historic Fort Ontario. A Sr. show with Rochester's Crusaders, the Syracuse Brigadiers, Fulton Gauchos, Canadian Commanders, Springfield Marksmen, Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots.

I was 10. I saw all these corps in the parade earlier in the day. I picked Cru to win....and they did! I was hooked forever!

First live show was 1984 Dayton, OH. First corps on was Avante Garde in their bright yellow jackets, followed by Pride of Cincinnati in their yellow jackets followed by Bridgemen in their yellow jackets. Also saw the Crossmen, 27th Lancers and Garfield Cadets. My first souveniers were a Garfiled baseball cap that featured a "disco font" and a Crossmen patch. I was hooked.

Funny how I can remember that night so clearly.

2000 Pittsburgh(Baldwin) PA. Troopers Bluecoats performed, and Boston was on when the lightning came. Then next show I saw I was performing in.

First time I ever came across Drum Corps....flipping through channels after band practice in 1993 and caught the tail end of the PBS DCI finals broadcast. Very curious at this point...

Made sure to catch the entire 1994 PBS DCI show....my first love was the Madison Scouts Malaga :blink: never seen anything like it. Then just a few minutes later, I cheated on Madison and found the Blue Devils...My Spanish Heart :rock: simply amazing! I was sold right then.

My first live show was kind of a disappointment... Normal, IL BOA Summer Band Symposium...it rained and the Cavies were there :( I couldn't see a thing sitting in the back on the floor and the sound was horrible in the fieldhouse during their standstill. The year of the planets of all things.

My first real show was in 1996 at the same BOA event, it didn't rain and got to see the Madison Scouts Drum Corp Fans Dream Part Dos! and the Cavaliers.

Never joined a Corp, I played a woodwind instrument and never got around to learning brass. Boy do I wish I would have known about drum corps earlier or I would have picked a different instrument in band class.

Todd

Edited by Toddro