5 Glassmen 85.200

6 Colts 83.600

7 Troopers 79.100

8 Southwind 72.100

9 Spirit of Atlanta 71.500

10 Kiwanis Kavaliers 71.300

11 Nite Express 65.800

12 Allegiance Elite 61.500

I was 15 years old then and thought that the Marching Illini were the coolest thing ever on a football field. Boy was I wrong. I remember being in awe of the corps as they entered and exited the field, they looked larger than life to me. I remember my heart swelling during retreat when all 12 hornlines joined in during America the Beautiful. I don't remember a single moment of any of the performances though. Much like putting on a great performance when you don't remember anything of the details of your actual performance, you only remember the intensity.

What I do remember though was feeling that they Cavaliers got ripped off that night. I thought that the Planets was an incredible show and even though I know there have been some shows with better design, execution or both, the Cavaliers 1995 show will always have a special place in my heart. The Cavaliers are without a doubt the corps that got me into the activity for life.

:blink:

Ken

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first show was finals in 1993 in Jackson, MS when I was 13. I went with my HS band. I only have two memories from that show though. 1) That it rained during the Scouts performance. 2) That Star of Indiana's show was wierd.

After that, I didn't see my next show until Champaign-Urbana in 1995.

My first drumcorps show was the DCH show in Almere, Holland in 1999.

I didn't really know what drumcorps was, I just joined the corps because my brother and sister were in their too, I was 8 back then. I didn't marched the show yet because I had to learn the basics first, so I wandered around and watched some shows but I can't really remember what I thought of it, only I will never forget seeing a uniformed corps for the first time doing their thing on the field, that was the first thing I saw there when we got out of the bus, and I thought it looked real neat.

Cadet Class

1 Jong Beatrix 65.900

Corps Style

1 Jong Holland 38.000

Open Class

1 Juliana 54.200

2 West Coast Sound 46.000

3 Starriders 41.700

4 Joint Adventure 32.100

The year was 1995

The location was Historic Horlick Field in Racine, WI

The 2 shows that hooked me were Scouts and Cavies. I haven't been the same since :P

As my parents were involved when I was bornt - somewhere around late 1962 or 1963 would have been my first exposure. Somewhere in Wisconsin. I've always been a fan and even now, I'm still involved and marching.

btw, the 70's were great (of course I don't remember much of the 60's), and the 80's were great too. So was the 90's and the 00's are pretty cool too. I'm not sold on amplified singing or amps period. But some things have to run their course before you find that they just don't work. Kinda like Hoppy using comma's in place of rifles.

Yowsa, yowsa, yowsa.

Dan

Edited by dsaeger

My first experience to it was Dekalb, IL 2004.

Cavaliers

Cadets

Bloo

Kiwanis and others.... don't remember them all :S. I got hooked on it before I went though... Band class always has down time at the end of the year, and we did nothing but watch DCI dvd's ^_^

My first show was Bloomington, IN in 1990. I was instantly hooked by the precision and class of SCV, the style and humor of VK, and the big band sound of the Bluecoats (I don't care what you say, I LOVED the power blue unis).

I bought my first drum corps souvenier that night...a yellow VK shirt with the red Converse All-Star hanging down. I wore that T-Shirt ALL the time...completely wore it out.

1986 Whitewater - after a marching band show, Scouts did an exhibition. See below.

Mine would be 1994 at DCI South in Nashville. The Crossmen took the W there with one of their Songs for the Planet Earth shows. Was good times....

First actual competition?

DCI South - Grant Field at Georgia Tech, July 6th, 1985

1 Garfield Cadets 87.900

2 Madison Scouts 87.200

3 Spirit of Atlanta 84.500

4 Cavaliers 77.600

5 Suncoast Sound 77.200

6 Star of Indiana 73.600

7 Troopers 71.500

8 27th Lancers 69.800

9 Crossmen 60.100

10 Florida Wave 56.500

(Thanks Corpsreps!)

First time viewing a drum corps? Suncoast Sound, some camp weekend, Lake Howell High School in Casselberry, FLA, 1985

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum