Madison Scouts 2006

I have seen this years show and actually like the music a lot. There is nothing visually that works at all. Seems like Myron laid a big fat egg with the drill and staging. Who knew that he would choke like that?

Well, I wouldn't say he laid an egg either...I just think it was a bit too ambitious.

But you're right...Hopefully they will put out a better product next year.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madisons show has potential...if it sounded like the Madison we all know and love. but they don't.

the key is they don't sound special or unique...they sound like everyone else

The one thing the Madison Scouts HAVE TO DO is........get Scott Stewart back AND NOW !!!!!! :ph34r:

I think Madison needs to get some oomph in their design staff and stick to certain genres of music that have a lot of passion and pizazz. I don't think Madison really lost their identity until this year. I totally knew it was Madison on the field in 2005 with their Carmen show. That show was pretty ###### in many different ways. It had a lot of identity and a lot of power.

So... hopefully in 2007, the Scouts will have a more aggressive musical program that will bring the crowd back to loving Madison as they did before. I also think maybe they should hire some Cavaliers for their guard staff. It works in Rosemont...and I think it would DEFINITELY work in Madison.

Madisons show has potential...if it sounded like the Madison we all know and love. but they don't.

the key is they don't sound special or unique...they sound like everyone else

So what is missing? From what I have seen of the show, it would be hard to play agressively while trying to march that drill. Its a beast!

So what is missing? From what I have seen of the show, it would be hard to play agressively while trying to march that drill. Its a beast!

they did it in the past....they could do it again. it has to be taught from day one.

Loosing their identity the last few years they were slipping? Did you see or listen to anyone one of those shows? I'm assuming you are thinking 2000-2002. Those shows were as Madison as it gets. Was 2002 as clean as previous years...no, but it was pretty #### entertaining...and I guarentee that was the biggest crowd a semi-finals show has ever seen when the 13th place corps took the field...and not to mention the biggest and loudest standing ovation a "13th place" corps that was loosing it's identity and fan base got.

Actually, they were 14th that year, behind Blue Knights. I really liked that show. I listen to it often - some great tunes and great arrangements.

So, you have a trade-off: be entertained by a 2002-like show that isn't competitive (in the sense that Madison is traditionally a top six corps) or revamp the corps for better placement.

When the new regime took over in 2003, I thought they put out a great product. Really enjoyable show, I thought. 2004 was still pretty vintage, I thought, but musically and visually boring to me. 2005 was awesome. It appeared that after "rebuilding" in 2003-2004, the corps was finally back.

And now 2006 - the corps is revamped AND not competitive (again, in the traditional Madison sense).

I think Cesario is a valuable guy to have on the sidelines. Perhaps Salas shouldn't fire him but put him on a shorter leash. Tell him to replace Albeniz and Ginastera with some Holman and Bellson. Surely Cesario has been around enough to know how to make a rockin show to fit any style.

I hear alot of people saying there are only two choices - play an entertaining show and

not be as competative, or design a judge freindly show that isn't as entertaining. I think

there's a third option (and it's what Pat Seidling has done with Phantom.) Design a fan friendly

show that maintains your image, but season the show with just enough higher demand

and General Effect that is realistic for the performers, and clean the crap out of it. Phantom to me is the PERFECT

example of a Corps that has become more competative, but hasn't lost an ounce of

their crowd appeal or their image....thanks in big part to Pat Seidling (a Madison alum that we should've hired)

Edited by madalumni

Actually, they were 14th that year, behind Blue Knights. I really liked that show. I listen to it often - some great tunes and great arrangements.

Actually they were 13th going into Semi-Finals...thus performing in the 13th place slot. But you are right, they did end up in 14th.

And I totally agree....2003 was a great year! Entertaining...but the catch, they only had "re-designed" the corps on the outside...it hadn't quite crept into the blood of the staff, members, and design team.

Edited by mdsnsctfan