Don't Ask, Don't Tell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Bluecoats88. DCI used to broadcast the highcam show with a PIP(picture-in-picture) in one of the "4 corners" (ha-ha) for horn solos, drumline breaks, bunnies, etc.)

Well since this is being broadcast nation wide to a paying public it should not be the place where the camera men are practicing for the DVD's.

They should attend one of the super regionals with all div I corps participating just before finals week and get a sense of what to do and practice at that time.

PLEASE use mid to high cam views and keep the close ups to a minimum.

All I have to say is, there are some corps that you need to stay high camera on and nothing else.... Cavies would be one of those corps.

All I have to say is, there are some corps that you need to stay high camera on and nothing else.... Cavies would be one of those corps.

Exactly! Would anyone have been upset if they showed the Cavvies entire show on high cam?

And I actually thought the cameras did a good job, for the most part. With two exceptions.

1) Phantom's show was, to me, ruined by the ridiculous camerawork. I feel like I missed half the show while I was having to look at Faust, the devil, and the girl run around the whole time. They showed so much of that they it seemed like they forgot that there was a very talented drum corps performing. I really wanted to see more of the visual (which I was very impressed with, by the way) and a LOT more of that drumline. I feel like I missed out on a lot.

2) The same thing goes for the Cavvies. I feel like I missed so much good visual because they always cut to some pointless close up during a cool drill move. They basically completely missed the corps skipping like a record (and the guard guy restarting them), and they didn't show the ending very clearly either. Again, I feel like I really missed out on a good portion of their show.

Actually, while I thought the video for last year's show sucked rocks, I couldn't have been happier with both the picture and sound this year.

The sound system at my theater (AMC 16 - Burbank) was outstanding ... They also had it cranked loud enough that you new you were listening to a drum corps show.

The video was immensely improved over last year (a point driven home by some of the past years videos that were shown during the program, which all looked like ... the south end of a horse headed north), so much so that it was like night and day.

In short, I don't know what theatre the original poster was at, but I think Tom & Company upped the bar again this year.

I agree with the origina post, camera work has got to go. If the judges can figure out where to be on the field by finals weeks, so should the darn cameras. Show a solist, but not for the whole solo. Show faces....but not so much. My biggest pet peeve is hearing the drum solo, and the camera makes it to them afterwards. Does it seem like the cameras miss the best shots...only to pan over AFTER the cool dill move, toss or soli happen?

Is the camera director a drum corps guy, or a video director that has seen corps before. How much say does Tom Blair have in the direction? I would dare say I could map out the camera shots after a few show viewings much better than the current people. Am I being naive?

The camera work was just about what I expected it to be. I would think that only someone with very little experience watching DCI videos would have been outraged over what happened. I knew where they were going to bungle it and they were right there doing it. It is NEVER better than being there in person and NEVER will be.

Worse than the camera work were some of the fools in the theater audience. I really wondered why they spent $18 to chat with their buddies all night and make jokes about the various corps yet not having a clue how hard a corps actually works just to make it to Quarterfinals regardless of where they place.

Edited by Tekneek

I hope I did not overlook this answer, but Quarterfials has always been the TESTING ground for the camera people. They don't come into the shows already knowing where to point the camera. They get a script and each night that script gets modified before the next show pending the corps does not change something which throws things out of whack. This was talked about on PBS many times concerning the camera angles long ago.

Not true. On Season Pass they were showing how the camera crews are at the regionals every year making notes about show design and doing dry runthroughs of how they want the camera to go. They are already planning this during the season.

The camera work was just about what I expected it to be. I would think that only someone with very little experience watching DCI videos would have been outraged over what happened. I knew where they were going to bungle it and they were right there doing it. It is NEVER better than being there in person and NEVER will be.

Worse than the camera work were some of the fools in the theater audience. I really wondered why they spent $18 to chat with their buddies all night and make jokes about the various corps yet not having a clue how hard a corps actually works just to make it to Quarterfinals regardless of where they place.

Theatres are not the only place that happens... lots of know-it-alls in the live audience as well... :(