Was There a Worse Year for Entertaiment Value

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that also because the two valves weren't considered "real instruments".

That's exactly right. It was a special ASCAP gift to help Drum Corps, and D&BC loved that designation as it opened the door to free usage of any and all compositions ever written by anyone, even new tunes.

Of course, when instructors insisted on using three-valve trumpets and other brass instruments in D&BC, it was no longer possible for ASCAP and BMI to look the other way.

By the way, harmonicas were also included in the "not real instruments" category, and during the musicians' strike in the 1940s they were used liberally.

you mean the 80s? LOL

well what happened was they went to 3 valves, then Bflat

Got all artsy fartsy with the dance stuff

corps started writing "original" music

and they did away with full retreat LOL

This is supposed to be funny. So don't go nuts.

"Not Going Nuts":

You actually made a really good point.

Elphaba

If there was a worse year than this one I don't think I can remember.................yes there were some highs but overall it was absolutely horrible...........are we trying to bring new fans into the fold or are we just happy to keep losing support..........this is no reflection on the performers they worked as hard as ever ..............but the direction of the staffs is abominable.........especially when it comes to value for the dollars fans spend............

Are you kidding me? I thought it was one of the best year ever and thats even from the bottom of the pack! Sometimes I wonder if it is the "newer" people being brought to drum corps that have an issue, or just the old people NOT wanting anyone new brought because they want everyone old school!

Are you kidding me? I thought it was one of the best year ever and thats even from the bottom of the pack! Sometimes I wonder if it is the "newer" people being brought to drum corps that have an issue, or just the old people NOT wanting anyone new brought because they want everyone old school!

Raises hand....

Old person here (see sig) who thinks this year's corps were fabulous.

I wonder what old or young has to do with anything...................is because if you are old.............. you don't like whats happening now because heaven for bid the old people want to keep corps exactly as it was (doubt that very much)..........and the young people love it because it is so esoteric (again know that is a blanket statement)!!!!!!!!!!!

No one who agrees that corps are not playing to their strengths should be pidgeon holed into any other catagory except they want drum corps to survive.........and right now its on the edge...........losing corps and fans fast..............It's a wake up call.......when you see as many empty seats in Madison (of all places) as I did.

I wonder what old or young has to do with anything...................is because if you are old.............. you don't like whats happening now because heaven for bid the old people want to keep corps exactly as it was (doubt that very much)

I think you're being sarcastic, right? Because you know that there are a lot of older fans who love what's going on now. Sure, there are some malcontents, but there are quite a few who love it. I'm probably "older" when it comes to drum corps (I'm 32 years old and became a fan in '85 or '86) and I think DCI is generally moving in the right direction in terms of entertainment value, especially after what I consider the doldrums of the late 90s. Keep in mind that most all of the guys who are writing today's shows are "older." - LOL - Hopkins marched in the early or mid-70s, right? B)

...........losing corps and fans fast..............It's a wake up call.......when you see as many empty seats in Madison (of all places) as I did.

I thought attendance has been on an upswing the past several years, on average.

Edited by Orpheus

That's exactly right. It was a special ASCAP gift to help Drum Corps, and D&BC loved that designation as it opened the door to free usage of any and all compositions ever written by anyone, even new tunes.

Of course, when instructors insisted on using three-valve trumpets and other brass instruments in D&BC, it was no longer possible for ASCAP and BMI to look the other way.

By the way, harmonicas were also included in the "not real instruments" category, and during the musicians' strike in the 1940s they were used liberally.

Uh...this is one of the most popular drum corps urban myths. (I don't know anything about the harmonicas thing.)

DCI is paying for the sales of music on the CDs and DVDs back to the inception of the organization, WAY back before we ever had B-flat instruments. I only know this because a few years ago one of my responsibilities was assisting in writing letters to get permission for works to be on the recordings, with the accompanying standard payments mentioned.

There are so many ways recordings are disemminated now than there were before. And the recordings of old drum corps are seeing light they didn't see when they were originally produced.

BMI, SESAC and ASCAP are more proactive today on the issues of music licensing than they were years ago. I wouldn't lay this one on instructors who wanted to use three-valve instruments. We'd still be going through the proper channels for rights and payments even if we had gone backwards to valve-rotor horns.

Times just have a way of changing things.

Uh...this is one of the most popular drum corps urban myths. (I don't know anything about the harmonicas thing.)

DCI is paying for the sales of music on the CDs and DVDs back to the inception of the organization, WAY back before we ever had B-flat instruments. I only know this because a few years ago one of my responsibilities was assisting in writing letters to get permission for works to be on the recordings, with the accompanying standard payments mentioned.

There are so many ways recordings are disemminated now than there were before. And the recordings of old drum corps are seeing light they didn't see when they were originally produced.

BMI, SESAC and ASCAP are more proactive today on the issues of music licensing than they were years ago. I wouldn't lay this one on instructors who wanted to use three-valve instruments. We'd still be going through the proper channels for rights and payments even if we had gone backwards to valve-rotor horns.

Times just have a way of changing things.

Thank Goodness DCI has you around......................