Is this for real?!?!?!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I see that posting the first thing I thought was how much Hop's job must pay , plus the travel and all the drum corps. If they can afford to get him a personal assistant then I think I would want his job instead! It probably pays better than my job with better perks.

I think Guidestar shows the compensation for the top executives.

Amen. The job requirements of an exec admin are quite ill defined. The better exec admins are HARD to find, and the BEST ones are THE BEST. It's all a personal balance between a very competent exec admin and what he/she wants to devote a period of his/her life towards. I would say that "The Cadets" would be a worthy calling and life changing! To whoever takes on the challenge I say, "Hold on for the ride of your life! It will be good!"

John

Unfortunately, the best C level assistants that you refer to (which could really do wonders for YEA overall if the right person was there) come with a hefty price tag. I know of some in the "for profit" world whose salaries are what Hop earns himself before bonuses, etc, and others that have a higher base salary than his!

And that is what will make this employee search more difficult, IMO- that the pay will most likely be considerably less than what that same experienced person could earn at for-profit corporation. Hopefully there is someone out there with the right amount of experience who can take the job for the sake of the kids, regardless of the pay.

Mike D- when I checked in January, yes, Guidestar did have the execs salaries on there.

Unfortunately, the best C level assistants that you refer to (which could really do wonders for YEA overall if the right person was there) come with a hefty price tag. I know of some in the "for profit" world whose salaries are what Hop earns himself before bonuses, etc, and others that have a higher base salary than his!

And that is what will make this employee search more difficult, IMO- that the pay will most likely be considerably less than what that same experienced person could earn at for-profit corporation. Hopefully there is someone out there with the right amount of experience who can take the job for the sake of the kids, regardless of the pay.

All true, but the salary for the CEO, CFO, etc in this field are also significantly lower than in the the "for profit" world, and yet people do it. Employee searches in the non-profit world are always difficult because at all levels, you need to find a person who is not only qualified, but also commited to the cause enough to accept the generally lower pay and benefits, be it a museum, an activist group, a drum corps, the boy scouts, whatever. Best of luck to YEA in their search.

And this quote just kills me:

Wow - tragic, yet very amusing! Who knew he was so incredibly important? Very Miranda Priestly of him. How much does that job pay?? Does his office have a view and a kitchen? I might apply.

If I'd known the Barry Diller of DCI/YEA! was looking for an "Executive" Assistant I would've introduced myself on Saturday night at the Stadium Bar in Madison.

It's tragic that a CEO (that is his title, you know) needs an assistant? By this logic, how dare Mr. Hopkins hire accountants and PR folks and a receptionist, etc., etc.? How dare he think that he is so important as to require employees. I bet he hired someone different to clean the office and take out the garbage. What ego!!!! He should be able to run that whole place by himself. After all, what are they paying him for???? Of course, then I'm going to criticize him for spreading himself too thin and not allocating enough of his time to the Crossmen, the cad. (/sarcasm)

Really, Mr. Hopkins doesn't need me to defend him (nor would I on some things), but this is ridiculous. As I stated before, I'm still waiting for the thread that criticizes him for breathing in and out, like he owns the air or something ....

I have no experience as an executive assistant, I'm only in my first job... but seeing as how I'm only making $30K right now anyway, George, I'm letting you know that I can be bought cheap. :P

####, I make half of what you make... :P

I can be bought cheaper!

I guess it's an OK job if you wanted to be Hoppy's gopher. I feel sorry for the person who gets it.

I dont see this position being so much a gopher...I think it would be someone that assists George in keeping the YEA! house in order.

As people have already said, this is nothing that an experienced admin person wouldnt already be used to.

Also...$30k doesnt seem like a bad salary at all for Allentown, PA (I will admit that I dont really know the area though). Is the cost of living there that expensive? $30K for an EA in Manhattan would be peanuts....in Chicago...it would be about standard.

I could theoretically survive here in Chicago if only even made about $12K a year (I'm really conservative with money though).

To be honest, if YEA! was in Chicago...I would probably have applied for that job.

I've made much more then $30K in the past...and working at YEA! as an admin assistant wouldnt be my long term career plans...but I think the experience would interest me enough to take the lower salary and work there for a while...and I am sure there are other people out there with the same mindset.

No where does it say that this job will pay $30k -- that was was someone else said they currently make, so this job sounded good to him (all in jest, of course).

I'm sure that the position will be marketed at the appropriate salary rate for the skill set required, for the Allentown market, and for the not-for-profit world. This is a perfectly normal posting for a perfectly normal job being dissected on DCP in a perfectly normal "About Hop" manner.

No where does it say that this job will pay $30k -- that was was someone else said they currently make, so this job sounded good to him (all in jest, of course).

According to Guidestar, Hoppy's compensation from YEA was $21,250 in 2004, with no benefits or expenses covered. :lol:

YEA 2004 Report on Guidestar

Page 20.

According to Guidestar, Hoppy's compensation from YEA was $21,250 in 2004, with no benefits or expenses covered. :lol:

YEA 2004 Report on Guidestar

Page 20.

Yes, but that is for his role as Executive Director of YEA. He may receive a separate amount from the "Instructional Fees" of "Tour Staff Fees" of the Cadets for being its Director.

For those that don't know, GuideStar (990 form) lists all of the compensation/benefits/discretionary just of its executives (President, Board Members, etc.) and just for those roles. Most Board Members in drum corps receive no compensation, unless they work more than around 10 hours a week. Still, this only covers their time on organizational/administrative aspects of the corps. Instructional staff payment is not viewable by individual, so it is tough to see how someone who tours with the corps is paid.

If we assume that what we saw under Executive Compensation was all the person way paid by the organization, then Jeff Feidler earns $0. I find that hard to believe.

More than likely, Jeff is a volunteer in his role on the Cavaliers' Executive team (VP, if I remember correctly), but he gets paid a reasonable amount for his time as director over the summer and during camps. I mean, he has to pay the bills, right? Then again, he may need someone to remind him. B)