Drum Corps is the Most Amazing Activity on the Planet!

Amen, brother.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing indeed!!!! :lol:

The WordRider :lol:- Sumo Smiley vs The Bottle Dance. Heah!

By far my favorite quote EVER!!!

"Drum Corps,

For those who know,

no explanation is needed,

for those who don't know,

no explanation is possible"

"Drum Corps,

For those who know,

In that :lol:

The WordRider Heah!

What other competitive activity can you see the corps that finished second by a narrow margin turn and serenade the champion? A simple act like that defines so much about this activity.

"Drum Corps,

For those who know,

That's a great quote indeed, and a great post George.

It's been an interesting couple of days in my household, having my daughter home now from her first summer of marching. She grew up watching it, and has been to Championships every year since 1996 (she was 4). She always liked it, and learned to appreciate it even more as she became involved in competitive dance and playing the trumpet. But, she was never an addict like me.

Now that she is back, the talk about drum corps has not stopped. She's sharing her stories with me, and grilling me for stories that she now can fully appreciate. She's also been pouring over the DVD's and videos from the past to pick up on stuff I've told her about that she didn't quite grasp, or to see things she heard about. She's also trying to check out the shows the staff members marched in. She is also constantly going on about how much she misses it already, and how she wishes the season was not over. She also can't wait for next season to start. It's in her blood, and she's hooked. The change in her from the past 2 months was huge. It was such a positive experience for her.

My wife doesn't understand (and is a bit annoyed with both of us for talking drum corps constantly). She attends Championships every year (91, then 93 on), and even went to a couple of the regionals this summer. She watched a few hours of rehersal in San Antonio. She's heard me tell her some of the stories and try to explain it. She thinks that overall it's a great activity and good for kids, but she doesn't fully understand. You are so right - we do speak our own language, and outsiders just can't "get it".

Senior corps? Yup - they are the best part-time marching-music organizations in the world!!
And we do it not because it's easy - but because it is difficult. Not because it's popular - but because we love it.

Not sure if senior corps is really part-time. I mean, they practice, sometimes, two camps a month and every weekend in May to Labor Day Weekend. Maybe they don't travel alot BUT, in a way, this may save Drum corps. Less traveling, less gas bills than DCI corps. As much as I like junior corps, senior corps doesn't cost that much money...compared to Jrs.

"Drum Corps,

For those who know,

I just happen to read this line at the climax of PR's Ave. Major goosebumps. Thank you George for reminding us the gifts around us.

I think my favorite thing about drum corps is that people volunteer out of love for the activity and the kids it produces. No one says: "I need to do some volunteer work so that I can feel good about myself or get into heaven. I'll go help out a drum corps." No. From my experience, volunteering with drum corps has a really weird and fantastic principle:

No matter how much time, money, or effort you put in, you somehow always feeling like, in the end, you came out with the better end of the deal

Edited by stxmoose32

2002, my son was invited by a friend to join this "thing" called a Drum and Bugle Corps. - Never heard of it. I discovered an activity, ####, an entire universe that was previously hidden to me. I was drawn in and saw my young son mature in so many ways. Thru these 5 years of DC I have seen a lot of organizations where there is a nurturing of skills that will last their lifetimes. How to get along with others, dedication, hard work, a sense of a job well done, comaraderie, self accomplishment as well as being a part of something bigger than yourself.

Not to mention his skills as a musician were enhanced.

I am grateful he and my other son got involved in such an activity.

I started for them, but think when they are older and on their own, I will still be hanging around - --- just because

Just because

It is sooooo cool!!!

Dad

Edited by Impulsivedad