Academy?

Academy?

Definitely legit! They are putting all pieces together like what was mentioned in previous posts.

I was able to watch a couple of ensemble rehearsals and I admit, they still practice like a Div. II/III corps though. Colorguard had to be reminded to spin when the box called "Field." Both box time and field time were WAY TOO LONG before resetting and running the segmentg again. I was cringing when my watch read 8 minutes of talking and 2 minutes of playing.

I know it was hot in Tempe. I was sweating just standing there, but kids learn by doing and not by being talked to. The only way any corps can advance to more difficult music, drill, guard work, etc., is to maximize every rehearsal. There were simply too many voices needing to talk from the box.

That being said...I feel the staff had a rehearsal plan and were executing the plan for the rehearsal. The worst moment a corps can have...standing at ease while the staff decides, "Well, what should we do next?" I've seen Div. I rehearsals run like this at times and again...I cringe.

I would love to see the Academy debut in Indianapolis in 08 as a brand new Div. I corps. Next year, they can own the west from Phoenix to Pasadena...a nice 6 hour drive.

Oh, by the way...I should mention that I feel privleged to be able to watch Academy rehearse and everyone, members, staff, parents, volunteers were extremely nice and appreciative. With my recent move to Tempe, it's cool having such a high quality home town corps. I've really lucked out....Regiment for a lot of years when I lived in the Rockford area, Scouts when I moved to Wisconsin and now Academy. How cool is that?

Check out the adopt a horn program...what a cool idea. I also think they should do an adopt a bus seat. Charter busses are expensive.

Enough Sunday morning ramblings...

Tom Brace

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I encourage people to get their APD. The hornbook was very challenging. that last number was probably the most difficult piece from any hornline to play this year.

I totally agree. It's a corps that others will have to reckon with in the not too soon future, so the target on their chest just got bigger, but it looks like they're up to it. Those kids really have something special to look forward to. If they stay the course, they'll have one heck of a ride, and an enjoyable one at that.

I would personally rather see them stay in DII for many years, than to have them go DI, and have some sort of financial or other problems and fold.

i think Academy is great.. but they are a division 1 corps. imo they shouldnt be in Div 2 just because of their numbers (but thats another argument)

if they stick around in div 2.. while being a div 1 size and quality corps.. thats only unfair to everyone else. they arent being challenged in div 2 (only 1 loss.. ever!)..

the real test for academy lies within div 1

The last minute of the show is smokin'! Seems like all the right pieces are in place. The innovation is real. Without question, their horn line is top 9-12 material (in-tune, on rythm, nice balance -- aka no heroes). Has anyone seen them in person? Are these guys legit?

These folks are for real. - Can someone say "Better than Star of Indiana?"

i think Academy is great.. but they are a division 1 corps. imo they shouldnt be in Div 2 just because of their numbers (but thats another argument)

if they stick around in div 2.. while being a div 1 size and quality corps.. thats only unfair to everyone else. they arent being challenged in div 2 (only 1 loss.. ever!)..

the real test for academy lies within div 1

They weren't in Div. II because of their numbers though - they were a full corps (with alternates at one point I believe?). All corps are required to start out in Div. II/III before petitioning to move up.

And I'm pretty sure they haven't even been defeated once. The focus show this year was 2-days, with ECJ scoring higher on the 2nd day, but since Academy performed on the 1st day it can't really be considered the same show.

The last minute of the show is smokin'! Seems like all the right pieces are in place. The innovation is real. Without question, their horn line is top 9-12 material (in-tune, on rythm, nice balance -- aka no heroes). Has anyone seen them in person? Are these guys legit?

They are for real. I really enjoyed seeing them in Div II/III finals. My only hope is that they continue to present shows with very appealing music (Like in 2006).......

Triple Forte

They are definitely for real. And yes, technically ECJ didn't beat them because it was a two day show, but I like to hold on to that one victory just to make my ego feel better... Haha.

As far as moving up to Div 1 is concerned.... I think they need to improve their visual program and their percussion... Not that they're bad right now, but they are the weak parts of the corps. They have a killer brassline, and with a top-notch visual program and some serious percussion staff they could be a finals contender in 07 or 08... I'm looking forward to watching them grow over the next couple of years.

Edit: And yeah, the Star comparisons are ridiculous. No one could ever hope to recreate the success Star had... Academy won't do it, no one will do it. Star was Star.

Edited by TSRTS13