Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

*sigh*

I wonder, did you speak this very same opinion directly to the face of the 2006 Scout whose shoulder you draped your arm over when you sang "never walk" together with him on Wednesday night?

He is critical of the program that his brother Scout was asked to perform, not of his brother Scout. Each of those kids put their heart and soul into what they were given. In the end, particularly in DCI today, what the designers come up with is more important than the performers who perform it.

What binds the generations of Scouts together has very little to do with the programs they played or the placings they achieved.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never do that to a scout. The would have been just a little bit rude & uncalled for dontcha think???

Posting it here (even anonymously) is "doing that" to a Scout -- all of them, in fact -- don't YOU think?? Falls equally under the headings "rude" and "uncalled for," IMO.. I guess you weren't thinking too clearly with all the adrenaline still pumping.

What binds the generations of Scouts together has very little to do with the programs they played or the placings they achieved.

So.. then.. they have or have not completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique?

And they have or have not become a generic drum corps who have lost their identity?

Seems to me if a Scout is a Scout is a Scout, regardless of the show he marches, then nobody is in danger of losing that "unique Scout thing" or "identity" at all. So long as a boy puts on his superman suit.. right?

Edited by ScribeToo

oooooooooo I feel a tussle of jabs coming on...and you certainly must do and say as you feel in an open forum... and love you as I do as a friend and

pal Stef I most humbly urge restraint in a wordy toe to toe battle with them that has worn the uniform.

Your desire to squash out chat of old school and some opinions of "bring back..." whatever is well known here... but you will never change everyones minds

even with the most snappy retort.

Not picking on you here... but oooooooooo gosh don't smack around someone who speaks from THE experience ... not outside it.

After seeing the Scouts 2006 show & uniforms, I for one am thrilled that the Scouts BOD made the decision to change directions. I know that Sal is a Scout alum, but the Scouts have completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique. The Scouts today are a generic drum corps who have lost their identity, & therefore no longer get the wild crowd reaction that we were known for. I happen to think that you will see some of the old school scout traditions return, first & foremost of which will be a return to a uniform that will resemble the classic scout uniform, as well as a return to exciting music that is musical rather than a race to see who can play the most notes & run the fastest drill. And while they are at it, PLEASE hire some staff members who actually marched in the scouts...& get rid of the bando's. I want to see the scouts march like Men rather than running around the field in chiep looking jester uniforms...& what the #### was that the color guard wore? The scouts are an all male drum corps...please look & act like it! No more Michael Cesario please...

I smell a very accessable & exciting show from the scouts in 2007! The return of the Scouts!

So the only uniform the Scouts can wear was the one from the 80's-90's? How narrow minded. I can certainly recall some not so good Scout shows over the years. Should the staff and director been fired for that? I just LOVE listening to Monday morning quarterbacks telling every one how it should be done. So they had a not so good year after a very steady climb out of the cellar. Why not give them a break? Most every drum corps has had that "what was I thinking show" over the years (case in point BD in 05). I personally thought the show was just ok. The drill and guard really killed any chance the corps had to hold serve or move up. Didn't the weak visual program and marching lead to the decline in 2000, 2001, 2002? Kudos to the corps director and staff for picking up the ball in 2003 and runing with it. Kept the Scouts from slipping into a place that none of us fans wanted to see them go.

oooooooooo I feel a tussle of jabs coming on...and you certainly must do and say as you feel in an open forum... and love you as I do as a friend and

pal Stef I most humbly urge restraint in a wordy toe to toe battle with them that has worn the uniform.

Your desire to squash out chat of old school and some opinions of "bring back..." whatever is well known here... but you will never change everyones minds

even with the most snappy retort.

Not picking on you here... but oooooooooo gosh don't smack around someone who speaks from THE experience ... not outside it.

As always, I'm obliged and respectful words from the heart of a good friend.. but ###### Geno.. are you SCOUTS or not?

If it means little the show you marched or the style of uniform you wore.. then how can ANY of you stand in public and say that "The Scouts" have lost their identity and become generic and forgotten what it is to BE a Scout?? Based on the show you marched?? The designed program you performed?? And how can any OTHERS among you stand for it?

I'm baffled. Truly.

well... I won't get into a battle I can never "win."

Dan S. stated it best above. It might be close to say someone like Troy Aikmann, who now as a TV sports anchor... watches the Dallas Cowboys and

finds criticism with what they do now days. He will always be a Cowboy but speaks from experience from within that organization, and means no disrespect

to the guys currently playing on that team he loves, just the way they are playing.

You are a true champion for protecting and mother henning all the great kids that march now days from all us old meanies who talk and talk and blither on

about "the good ol' days when we marched" and making sure we don't hurt their feelings with mean sounding opinions...

but the implication that we stood falsly with our little brothers and patted them on the back but secretly thought they weren't "real" Scout's is wayyyyy off base.

You're missing the point of that post about the current trends of corps style... obviously an OPINION that you don't share... so shake your head and skip it.

And you know what? In ten years it will be the kids marching NOW who will be here on DCP talking about how much drum corps has changed from THEIR day

back in 2006...

How long until we find a director that will workout for the long term. We need to get some continuity.

and a staff

Thanks. :)

Now, then...I don't think we should underestimate what Sal did for the Scouts, bringing them up to 6th place in three short years. Let's not think this is an automatic return to mid 90's Madison (there were a lot more design minds at work than just the director in those years), nor is it an automatic signal that Scott Stewart is returning.

I'll be the first to admit on first blush it's an opportunuity full of potential for the Scouts to remake themselves again; but I hope this doesn't turn into a old school/new school argument.

2007 Madison isn't going to be playing "Slaughter" or "Ice Castles" any more than the Cavaliers OTL next year is going to be "Bully", so let's eliminate that thought process.

Who can merge the visual punch that the top tier requires now with the Madison brand identity?

hmmm...cavies...Bully....todays drills.

hmmmmm

I for one have to say it's a very sad day for me and for the rest of us. We all love Sal and Cody, and I hate to see them go. It's a pretty nervous time for me, as to who will replace them, and where we're going.

I don't see why people didn't like our new unis and this year's show. I think the new uniform is more "old school" than last year's. We brought back the red sash, put red back on the aussie, and had a big friggin Fluer on our chests. So the pants and the jacket colors got inverted, big deal. I think they looked sweet. Drum corps keeps changing. If we didn't try to keep up with the times, we'd still be marching elevator drill with hand-cranked timpani and glockenspiels on the field, and not making it even close to finals. Quit giving your brothers crap for trying to adapt. So you're taking a jab at the design, but it's still a slap in the face to tell us we're just another drum corps and we've lost our identity.