Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

I don't hear alumni talking about brotherhood, I hear alumni talking about their likes and dislikes and preferences, just as you stated that I am. What's funny to me is that the most vicious comments always seem to come from former Scouts. I remember the thread titled "What in the world are the Scouts Playing? And Why?", started by a former Scout. Are you telling me you haven't noticed this trend, of alumni attacking the product because of their likes and dislikes? I know I'm not the only one.

As I said, you can characterize it as likes and dislikes, but its not, and it would be the same for any other corps. If someone from BD for example was to complain about a new direction they had taken I know his criticism would be motivated by their history and love for their former corps. Maybe its quibbling, but i see a difference.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, what's funny is that the most vocal critics of the present Scouts always seems to be alum, prompting non-alum to come to the current corps defense. B)

EXACTLY! And that is a dangerous position for a corps to be in since drum corps count on alumni financial support. I have a feeling that I will be throwing more supprt towards the Scouts with their intended "change in direction"...which is/was sorely needed!

What's wrong with a new direction?

Do all of you Madison Alums simply want your old corps to play new arrangements of Malaguena every single season and park and play latin jazz? Let things evolve!! You can stay true to tradition, maintain the brotherhood, stay competitive, AND go off in a new direction and evolve.

BD still plays jazz, but they continue to innovate and go off in new and different directions. They don't simply re-hash the same tunes over and over and over again.

SCV maintains their traditions, but you don't hear them playing Fiddler on the Roof or Phantom of the Opera every other year.

So I ask of you: what is wrong with a new direction, with playing something different, trying something new? Are you telling me that Madison slipped in their placement because they were not playing Malaguena? I doubt it.

Edited by yellowbusredux

I am not and have never been afiliated with the Scouts; but have been a long time fan.

So my perspective is an outsider looking in.

I think it's really not about the specific tunes the Scouts play. I don't think most of us long time fans or the alumni want the Scouts to simply rehash old stuff. I think when certain shows and tunes are referred to it's as an "example" of what they would like, not just to do the same old same old. It's more about the traditional Scouts personna; the in your face playing and agressive masculine style. (IMO they've always done that in a very musical way.)

It's also about the way the changes came about with Scouts falling out of the top 12.

I think (??? again I'm not associated with the organization or any members/alumni, just my observations) that it "appeared" to some, whether real or not, that Sal changed the Scouts to much, to quickly and seemed to want to distance themselves from the Scott Stewart era; something that any way you slice it, is offensive to the members who marched under Scott and were a part of that.

For me personally it's not wanting to hear the same tunes/shows over again. It's wanting to hear the PASSION and ASSERTIVNESS in the music that IMO simply hasn't been there the last four years.

BD still plays jazz, but they continue to innovate and go off in new and different directions. They don't simply re-hash the same tunes over and over and over again.

You are really being generous by calling what BD has done the past few years Jazz. They haven't played complete and legitimate jazz charts in years. Designers know that playing full charts (like corps did in the 70's 80's 90's) is suicide today. Visual design has pushed things in that direction.

You are really being generous by calling what BD has done the past few years Jazz. They haven't played complete and legitimate jazz charts in years. Designers know that playing full charts (like corps did in the 70's 80's 90's) is suicide today. Visual design has pushed things in that direction.

You know, BD 2006 was a great example.

That score was more classical/symphonic than anything else they've played. Yeah, the storyline took place in the earlier part of the 20th century, but you can't base a show that just isn't jazz and isn't the right feel in big band style. Swing the godfather theme...ok...add some juicy BD jazz chords that we've heard for ten years...alright...make the melodramatic plot into an action show... just no.

I'm sorry, but to me, that show was all flash and rehashed material. It hurts to say it, because I loved parts of it, like the ballad, which really stayed true to the atmosphere...but the rest, i just didn't feel. I love those Wayne Downey chord progressions too, but you need to start to change some stuff up.

Do all of you Madison Alums simply want your old corps to play new arrangements of Malaguena every single season and park and play latin jazz? Let things evolve!! You can stay true to tradition, maintain the brotherhood, stay competitive, AND go off in a new direction and evolve.

... Are you telling me that Madison slipped in their placement because they were not playing Malaguena? I doubt it.

I've tried but cannot find here on DCP where ANY Madison alum has stated or implied that he thinks Madison should rehash old tunes over and over... if you can find

a quote or someone who said that please quote it. Nor can I find any alum who has specifically said Madison (or whomever) shouldn't move forward with the times

and continue to grow in the direction drum corps as an activity goes. I don't think one single alumni feels that the corps should go back to old drill styles up and down

the 50 and play Malaguena every year. What I DO think MANY people would like to see (not just Madison alumni...) is for corps to return to a type of music that a fan

can really get behind and enjoy overall... to walk away from a show and be able to sing the part of the horns or drums that impressed them.

I'm sure many can do that now... and that's fine. But I think the general concensus (IMO) seems to suggest that people are unsure and sometimes not so enthusiastic

about shows that are SEEMINGLY designed to impress only musicians with a PHd in music theory. The average fan can't really relate to that, impressive as it may be.

There is plenty of argument room in the middle of your "let drum corps evolve" argument and the opinion of others that say "bring back more recognizable music."

There is a happy medium out there for someone who has the right arranging ability to keep the music exciting and difficult by todays standards and still embrace

the classic charts that could be played... and I don't mean Malaguena.

What do you have against Malaguena, anyway? :P

What do you have against Malaguena, anyway? :P

Ya, it's the "quick draw" for those who debate people who want the Scouts to stay true to their roots...

"well, you just want them to play Malaguena and latin jazz every year!" lol :P

ok, soooooooooooooo...let's see...Malaguena in '88 and '96 (possibly others earlier on...can't remember)...and then the latin jazz trilogy from '94-'96 including a re-emergence of Malaga in '04...

"OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SCOUTS PLAY NOTHING BUT LATIN JAZZ AND MALAGUENA!!!"

People make me laugh sometimes. :P

Why can't we be known as those who ONLY want the Scouts to play City of Angels every year...or Slaughter...or Ice Castles...etc.

:D