Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

So.. then.. they have or have not completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique?

And they have or have not become a generic drum corps who have lost their identity?

Seems to me if a Scout is a Scout is a Scout, regardless of the show he marches, then nobody is in danger of losing that "unique Scout thing" or "identity" at all. So long as a boy puts on his superman suit.. right?

Well you are putting someone else's argument in my mouth. I am only saying that there is nothing wrong with an Alum criticizing the program the current Scouts have embarked upon, it is not as you imply, a personal attack on a brother Scout around whose shoulder ones arm is draped.

I didnt agree that the Scouts identity was lost or that the uniforms were not Madison. I stated a number of times here that I thought the new look was a step in the right direction. I also liked their 06 show despite it being such a departure from what traditionally has been the typical Madison show.

Edited by MantkuJPusskertant

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one have to say it's a very sad day for me and for the rest of us. We all love Sal and Cody, and I hate to see them go. It's a pretty nervous time for me, as to who will replace them, and where we're going.

I don't see why people didn't like our new unis and this year's show. I think the new uniform is more "old school" than last year's. We brought back the red sash, put red back on the aussie, and had a big friggin Fluer on our chests. So the pants and the jacket colors got inverted, big deal. I think they looked sweet. Drum corps keeps changing. If we didn't try to keep up with the times, we'd still be marching elevator drill with hand-cranked timpani and glockenspiels on the field, and not making it even close to finals. Quit giving your brothers crap for trying to adapt. So you're taking a jab at the design, but it's still a slap in the face to tell us we're just another drum corps and we've lost our identity.

:lol:

You are so right!! I applaud your thoughts and your conviction to stand your ground!!

here's a question...is it possible that the field result sha dnothing to do with the decision?

also, is it possible they'd go outide the family? maybe because of the internal conflict of what a Scout show should be, it may be time for new blood

After seeing the Scouts 2006 show & uniforms, I for one am thrilled that the Scouts BOD made the decision to change directions. I know that Sal is a Scout alum, but the Scouts have completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique. The Scouts today are a generic drum corps who have lost their identity, & therefore no longer get the wild crowd reaction that we were known for. I happen to think that you will see some of the old school scout traditions return, first & foremost of which will be a return to a uniform that will resemble the classic scout uniform, as well as a return to exciting music that is musical rather than a race to see who can play the most notes & run the fastest drill. And while they are at it, PLEASE hire some staff members who actually marched in the scouts...& get rid of the bando's. I want to see the scouts march like Men rather than running around the field in chiep looking jester uniforms...& what the #### was that the color guard wore? The scouts are an all male drum corps...please look & act like it! No more Michael Cesario please...

I smell a very accessable & exciting show from the scouts in 2007! The return of the Scouts!

You should get used to the uniforms i think they'll be around for a while. Also the Scouts are "a generic drum corps" what would rather hear them singing with props in the background like its a BOA competition. at least they r still a drum corps.

jofus, I agree with you. Loved the new uniforms, loved the show......no matter what happens, the scouts will still be the scouts, and I will love them anyways. All I ask of you (and the other members) is to stay true to what you believe in and keep performing your ###es off like you do year in and year out, and you'll keep everyone coming. I wish I knew that feeling of knowing many of the people were at that show, specifically to see what I'm doing. I'll rephrase that, I can't wait to have that have that feeling.

dupe

Edited by MantkuJPusskertant

It does stink that this is going on in the Scouts. But instead of why the BoD made this decision, lets talk about who we think the new director will be. Sure, as a fan, I liked what the scouts did in the past 4 seasons, but i an not an alum nor am I in the know. But Sal did a tremndous job in the 4 years he was there.

Will there be a current serving corps director leaving their current organization to run the Scouts? Who knows, but I will be on the edge of my seat anticipating the announcement

I don't know that I've ever cared that Madison was in title contention...even in 1995, most knew they wouldn't win it all. I just cared about being entertained and wanting to throw children at the end of the show. :)

However, it's an interesting dichotomy...supposedly, under Scott the last few years (2000, 2001, 2002)...the old ways of "big and loud" didn't work. The visual and guard scores brought the corps down towards the end of his tenure.

After seeing the Scouts 2006 show & uniforms, I for one am thrilled that the Scouts BOD made the decision to change directions. I know that Sal is a Scout alum, but the Scouts have completely abandoned the traditions that made the Scouts unique. The Scouts today are a generic drum corps who have lost their identity, & therefore no longer get the wild crowd reaction that we were known for. I want to see the scouts march like Men rather than running around the field in chiep looking jester uniforms...& what the #### was that the color guard wore? The scouts are an all male drum corps...please look & act like it! No more Michael Cesario please...

I smell a very accessable & exciting show from the scouts in 2007! The return of the Scouts!

Yeah, for me as a Scout fan, yet never involved with the Scouts, I would like to see the high energy, powerful, masculine, in your face show again that made the Scouts such a favorite with any crowd they performed for. Yes, they have placed higher since 2002, but they seem to have lost their heart, soul, and identity in the process. The thunder of applause they used to get simply isn't there any more. While I'm sure ever member worked his tail off this summer, I saw no sign of the enthusiasm, energy, and showmanship people naturally associate with the Scouts. Personally, I would like to have one of my favorite corps back again. I'm not putting down anyone here, this is just how I feel. As with any corps, I don't care what the #### the judges think - if they know how to entertain me and put on a high-energy show, they are truly winners in my book. Scouts haven't done that in awhile in my opinion. I wish them the very best in 2007.

here's a question...is it possible that the field result sha dnothing to do with the decision?

also, is it possible they'd go outide the family? maybe because of the internal conflict of what a Scout show should be, it may be time for new blood

If the corps director is not a Madison alum, they will have a hard time getting those of us (at least me in particular) who still have years left to come back.

Who, if not the corps director, will instill the Madison brotherhood and philosophy upon corps members? If the corps director is not a Madison Scout then how will new members learn what it is to be a Madison Scout? I marched in 2003 and 2005, I'm tired of being in a transition. I want some stability. I believe in 2005 we had a great approach to blending old school style with new school. We had music that had flares of classic Madison along with more musicality, and we had great drill. 2006 was another great show, a show that was way more demandin than either of the two years I had marched. The uniform was classic Madison (look at 83-84), and was one step away from returning to the uniform that most everyone is used to.

Is Scott Boerma still on staff? I hope so or else I'll fear we'll lose that Madison sound. To all those who think we've already lost the Madison sound, I strongly disagree with you. Having edge or whatever did not make the Madison sound, we've simply taken the G-bugle Madison sound and refined it for what works with B-flat. We don't sound like Madison on G-bugles, we never will.

MYNWA

Paul

03;05;07

Edited by MadisonDude