When will Phantom win another ring?

When will they take finals?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Which year?

• 2011+

I'm a huge Phantom Phan, have been for almost 3 decades now. I believe they can and hope they do get a championship VERY SOON!!!

However, I've also loved the Cavaliers since the first time I saw tham in 76 at DCI North in the Silverdome. I agree their music books are maybe not quite as difficult, but they aren't as easy as some seem to think. Just listen to them play a standstill where you can focus on the music alone. I also think much of their original music is very accessable. There are melodies I remember. There are other elements, repeated rhythms and beatiful chord progressions, you can grab on to and enjoy as well.

Some, not all, of Phantom's classical repetoire might be more familiar to those of us who listen to lots of symphonic music. I

wouldn't say it's always singable.

I think when we debate these things we all, including myself, tend to make generalizations, because it's easier to debate that way, that simply aren't true.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if for some odd reason the DCI judges' sheets were changed to emphasize music over visual, I have no doubt that Cavaliers would be able to redesign their programs to fit the sheets. Cavaliers are the most successful corps this decade because they have designed shows that both max out the sheets, as well as to their members' abilities. Also, they teach their members to perform at a higher level. You assume that Cavaliers shows would remain exactly the same in a fantasy world where the sheets are changed to place a higher emphasis on music. I think that their staff would probably be just as successful at designing a show that maxes out whatever sheets are in use.

Is "designing a show to fit the sheets" the same thing as designing a "good" show? In other words, and I know there have already been a zillion threads on this topic, but has the idea of just writing a solid and fan-friendly horn book been sacrificed on the altar of visual design?

When they tie with someone else.

I think that if for some odd reason the DCI judges' sheets were changed to emphasize music over visual, I have no doubt that Cavaliers would be able to redesign their programs to fit the sheets. Cavaliers are the most successful corps this decade because they have designed shows that both max out the sheets, as well as to their members' abilities. Also, they teach their members to perform at a higher level. You assume that Cavaliers shows would remain exactly the same in a fantasy world where the sheets are changed to place a higher emphasis on music. I think that their staff would probably be just as successful at designing a show that maxes out whatever sheets are in use.

Plus, you say Phantom does a great job with their music programming. That's pretty much undeniable. I (and, apparantly, a lot of the fans and judges) say Cavaliers do a great job with their entire show design.

This is a great observation. And I would have to agree.

The Cavaliers are definitely "playing the game" better than anyone else at this point (or decade rather)

This is a great observation. And I would have to agree.

The Cavaliers are definitely "playing the game" better than anyone else at this point (or decade rather)

Yes, they play the game very well. Especially when a Czapinski's on the pannel at Finals!

Did the Cavies deserve to win? Sure. Was PR's show more difficult? Sure.

Yes, they play the game very well. Especially when a Czapinski's on the pannel at Finals!

Did the Cavies deserve to win? Sure. Was PR's show more difficult? Sure.

What tie(s) does Marie Czapinski have to the Cavaliers? She obviously didn't march there. Her counterpart that night, Michael Gray must have had the same feelings as her, if they both put them in the same box. I do not think judges are that messed up anyway. Lots of judges marched in some of the best corps, that doesn't mean they reward their corps more points. :)

How about "PR will win another ring when their alumni and fans finally learn to graciously accept that other corps can also excel both in terms of musical ability and in their visual program - even the Cavaliers." Talk about your deal with the devil.... ^0^

Ya know, that made as much since as, well, nothing, and has even less of chance of being reality than my statements. Now that's saying something. or not.

RM - :music:

ampssuck

However, I've also loved the Cavaliers since the first time I saw tham in 76 at DCI North in the Silverdome.

Hey! That was me! That was a real trip bringing the corps in through the airlocks (the Silverdome had an inflatable roof). Glad you liked the show, Russian Sailor's Dance was a blast for the mellowphones!

Edited by rgortowski