Senior Year of High School Marching Corps?

Not that you'd want to miss your grad, but if you asked anyone who has marched, they'll all tell you that the drum corps experience - even early season move in - is better than standing around listening to a crap rendition of P&C. Knowing both, I'd have gladly given up my HS grad. It was nice, but in the scheme of things, move-ins and such were way more important, fun, and meaningful.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 05, I know that there was at least one person that left for a few days for graduation. The staff is fairly accomodating in those situations.

My rehearsal day spent with the Bluecoats while skipping my HS graduation in 02 means more to me than my 4 years of high school. Simple as that.

I agree. I remember being on the field during evening ensemble rehearsing "Johnny Quest" during my rookie year in 02 and thinking how much more awesome it was than sitting in a crowded auditorium listening to preppy kids give speeches and ghetto kids screaming "aww dats my cousin!!" B)

Miss as little of spring training as possible.

Graduation ceremonies are way over-rated. You won't have missed anything. I mean, I graduated in 1991. I have a lot of great memories from high school, but commencement isn't one of them. Fifteen years later, all I remember of the ceremony is sitting outside in the heat, being totally uncomfortable in my cap & gown and shirt & tie, and being bored to death by the speakers. Now I don't even have the slightest clue who spoke or what they said, though I imagine it was the same old platitudes, "Commencement isn't an ending, it's a beginning ..."

Edited by Orpheus

I skipped prom for a camp (no brainer) and didn't want to go to graduation, but my parents really wanted me there so I went for them.

these 20 some years later: If I could do it all over again, I would have told my Mom and Dad I loved them, and stayed with the corps. Graduation was boring, I felt like I was letting my team down the whole time.

Make sure you tell your corps about your intentions early, when I taught corps I really hated asking where one of my guys was, only to hear "He is at a _________" (prom, wedding, graduation).

I skipped prom for a camp (no brainer) and didn't want to go to graduation, but my parents really wanted me there so I went for them.

When you think about it, it does seem like graduation ceremonies really are more for the moms and dads than for the students.