2006 DCP-I Rules Congress

Galen

Personally I dont like either of those ideas... (no offense to Matt intended). For point 1... it would give an unfair advantage to the finals directors and would discourage new directors from signing up. We or at least I dont want to see the same corps in finals every year unless they deserve it. It was nice seeing some new corps in Finals....

For point 2, personally I like having the real scores used for finals. With the generated scores, it takes some of the skill out of it, and you just have to guess who would have the highest generated score. Im pretty sure I would have won season 1 had we used the real finals scores, and not the generated scores... :P

I know, and I didn't expect you to agree or like either. That was the George Hopkins coming out in me. Besides, I think this same set of ideas has been brought to the table before, and it has not passed... So I wouldn't even try to propose it again, unless others thought they were good ideas. :P

Besides, I don't need the extra point, my groups do fine with the current system...and one of my groups made finals without using the full amount of points you could have. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll throw one out- corps that are ranked in the top 8-12 going into finals week get an automatic berth in quarterfinals (like DCI used to do), but DON'T get the extra point to work with as a trade-off. Thoughts?

The rookie speaks the truth- that was indeed a gag.

OMG did he really say that?? OK half the time I find myself defending SOME of his ideas, but that is just DUMB!

I'd like to post a couple suggestions for the execs that I think will help make things better in future seasons.

1: Ok, so we tried to do the website ala FDCI for our caption changes- hasn't quite worked out yet. In lieu of that, I'd like to see a return PM from the execs confirming that a corps' caption changes have been received and input. I say this because I know there are some directors who did not have their changes for finals week registered- this has been a chronic problem for DCPI, and should be the top priority for next season. I know it'll mean a little extra work for the execs, but it doesn't have to be anything long- just a simple "got them!" would do.

2: I'd like to see the execs keep a regular "office hours" time on AIM/Yahoo/MSN/whatever, so directors can get instantaneous feedback on questions if they have them. Again, I understand that both execs have full-time jobs, but just a little bit of time, maybe 30-60 minutes in the evening, would be useful.

"H": Get rid of the online recaps- nobody pays any attention to them anyway, and people just use them to cheat and bag on other corps' performances ^0^

I agree with point 1 after my first season (and I had issues). Point 2 I am ok with but I can honestly say for the most part people always got back to me relatively quickly (thank you).

point H, I am still going "what???" (and thats after I read that it was a gag)

the only thing I honestly didnt like were the changes in the last week. I say changes stop before finals. I ONLY say this because it was next to impossible for me to get recaps of DCI in time to make any changes and then find a way to get those back to someone, so i didnt at all (maybe why I got 13th and missed finals) BUT if people actually go to finals and dont have a lap top--it is pretty darn difficult. Talk about needing a 24 hour hook up! AND I say this knowing FULL WELL I will NOT be at the Rose Bowl next year and that by 2008 I will probably finally get a lap top! LOL I say this for anyone who may find themselves in this same issue in the future.

Other than that, I dont need to add flutes, change the age group, add 25 more members or allow nudity (although my corps will continue to push the envelope on that last one once and awhile! :) )

My Ideas:

1. Bring back the Div II/III focus shows. Have at LEAST 2 or 3 Div II/III focus shows again, kind of like the old Open system (Canadian Open, North American Open, Garden State Open, and Coast Guard Open) and have them determine the Finals order of performance.

2. Regional Championships are only open to corps that call that region home. For example, since my Tennessee Nipples are from Memphis, they can only compete in the South Regional....

3. No more than 3 corps allowed per director. And only 1 in each division. (I could be convinced to allow 4.)

4. If Caption changes are not in the correct format, they will NOT be implemented. PERIOD!

5. For Div 2/3 Finals, add up all the competing corps, then find out the percentages of corps in each division. For example, if there are 40 Div 2/3 corps, and 30 of them are Div 2, then make the finals split be the top 9 Div 2 and Top 3 Div III. Just seems more fair.

I think that is it for now...

My Ideas:

1. Bring back the Div II/III focus shows. Have at LEAST 2 or 3 Div II/III focus shows again, kind of like the old Open system (Canadian Open, North American Open, Garden State Open, and Coast Guard Open) and have them determine the Finals order of performance.

That's easily done- all I'd need are stadium suggestions (I'm not as up to date on D2/3 history and stadiums as I am with D1, regrettably). I've also got solid plans for another famous "Open" show that East coasters will enjoy B)

3. No more than 3 corps allowed per director. And only 1 in each division. (I could be convinced to allow 4.)

Have to disagree with that one, for purely selfish reasons :laugh:

5. For Div 2/3 Finals, add up all the competing corps, then find out the percentages of corps in each division. For example, if there are 40 Div 2/3 corps, and 30 of them are Div 2, then make the finals split be the top 9 Div 2 and Top 3 Div III. Just seems more fair.

Seems like we kinda go back and forth on this each season, and that it is usually 9 and 3 that make it into finals anyway.

Edited by Galen

My Ideas:

I've tried to get that on the ballot and passed since the beginng, but it get's turned down every time.

When in seson 1 I get beat by 11 directors and place 12th cool, then in season 2 get beat by 5 or 6 directors and place 14th.

Either that or not allow ANY (currently 4) shared captions between same director corps. If it's a different corps it should have different captions. Just don't think it's fair that finals (which is most director's goal) 12 spots should be taken up by 4-6 directors.

4. If Caption changes are not in the correct format, they will NOT be implemented. PERIOD!

Can we get a clarification? I tried looking in the original, and it doesn't really give much of any way to submit changes, besides corps name, previous and new captions.

I've tried to get that on the ballot and passed since the beginng, but it get's turned down every time.

When in seson 1 I get beat by 11 directors and place 12th cool, then in season 2 get beat by 5 or 6 directors and place 14th.

Either that or not allow ANY (currently 4) shared captions between same director corps. If it's a different corps it should have different captions. Just don't think it's fair that finals (which is most director's goal) 12 spots should be taken up by 4-6 directors.

I do agree with this. It does get intimidating when you have some directors with 2-3 DI corps. I'm lucky that this year I did sneak into finals (was sweating it after prelims.)

I would like to amend the only one per division. I think we could do multiple corps from a director in DII/III (ex: one director has 3 DII corps and 2 DIII.) The number of corps in each of those divisions is much lower than in DI. It might make for a more interesting finals week.

Okay so here are some ideas that I have come up with:

1) Create some type of "State" Championship contest to be held where there are several corps from a given state. My idea was to not have the groups compete by Division at this contest, but to have it be more of an open class type event. I see the problem of corps using D2, and D3 not being able to stack up with D1 captions, but perhaps we could fix something to where it is more equal. I say this because some states may have a number of D2 corps and only 1 D1 corps, and the majority of the time, a D1 corps will take the title. But I would like to see some love toward having state run events, that are nothing like regionals. State Championships would still allow for (if you wish) non state members to compete, but the title would have to go to an in-state corps, period. There are a high density of corps from: Washington, California, Indiana, and etc... so I think this could work out.

2) Have caption changes due at the same time for ALL corps. The only thing I would make different (and this is optional) is to have D2/D3 captions due at a different time. But before this season, I actually liked how all corps had to have captions due on a given date, or they had to wait until the next time to change. In my opinion, it made it easier on us (the active body) because we knew when something was coming up and how to change and when accordingly. You could schedule your shows accordingly to make sure that you still were able to get the bonus points. This would also make it easier for directors (in the live season) who may not have access to internet, to plan ahead too! I was lucky to have done as well as I did this season being on the road with a real corps.... I took DCPI just as serious as I did working with my real corps! hahah.

3) I can agree with Jeff in only allowing 3 corps per person (maybe 4), but they should be able to choose which division they want to spread those out in. I say on seasons where the number of corps competing is scarce, to allow a director to have more corps. I can understand why some may want as few corps per director as possible, seeing as 4 directors had at least 2 corps in finals this season (Mitch: Star of Jupiter and Cross, Matt B.: Kosmos and Kadence, Matt S.: Emerald Regime, Tri-color and Cascade Christian, Shannon.: Mystre and Menagerie) That is 9 of 12 corps occupying a finals spot with only 4 directors. While there were new faces in finals this season, they probably could have been a few more. I've tried to get this rule going before, and no one supported it, and we have had this problem if you can call it that--for a while. I think this would make the playing ground a bit more level if you will. Some directors (including myself) would just have to pick and choose when they wanted to use certain corps (i.e. live or off seasons).

4) Create a regional Division I division, for those directors who wish to have that "extra" D1 corps. The points allowed could be anywhere between Division II and I points, but you can restrict the amount of shows regional corps are to compete in.