Rochester and Ernesto?

The current projected path of Tropical Storm Ernesto takes it through the Rochester vicinity over the weekend. Granted, forecasts of tropical systems, especially their movements this far north (where they're more susceptible to the jet stream, etc.) are unreliable so far in advance. It also looks as though the storm may take a more easterly path than what's plotted in the link above, which would certainly be a welcome relief to many of us. Still, there's a very real possibility that the weekend could be a washout.

I have my Prelims tickets and am planning to make the 2-hour drive up for the show on Saturday morning. Does the show go on regardless, or if the situation looks completely horrible, is there a chance that it would be called in advance? (And if prelims is called, what would happen with finals?) I'd rather not get to Rochester only to immediately turn back around due to cancellation...and I really need one last drum corps fix for the summer.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my Prelims tickets and am planning to make the 2-hour drive up for the show on Saturday morning. Does the show go on regardless, or if the situation looks completely horrible, is there a chance that it would be called in advance?

Whatever is left of Ernest won't hit the Rochester area until mid-day Monday. That's according to the Weather Channel and weather.com.

The current projected path of Tropical Storm Ernesto takes it through the Rochester vicinity over the weekend. Granted, forecasts of tropical systems, especially their movements this far north (where they're more susceptible to the jet stream, etc.) are unreliable so far in advance. It also looks as though the storm may take a more easterly path than what's plotted in the link above, which would certainly be a welcome relief to many of us. Still, there's a very real possibility that the weekend could be a washout.

I have my Prelims tickets and am planning to make the 2-hour drive up for the show on Saturday morning. Does the show go on regardless, or if the situation looks completely horrible, is there a chance that it would be called in advance? (And if prelims is called, what would happen with finals?) I'd rather not get to Rochester only to immediately turn back around due to cancellation...and I really need one last drum corps fix for the summer.

You think you have a problem. I live in the Tampa area, and am scheduled to leave here THURSDAY. Still sweating that out. Then if I do get there, I have to sweat the weahter out again.

Plane and Hotel paid for long ago.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Whatever is left of Ernest won't hit the Rochester area until mid-day Monday. That's according to the Weather Channel and weather.com.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USNY...pnav_undeclared

First time I checked this it was all sunshine and mid-70s. Now they're saying 40% chance of showers.... :(

You think you have a problem. I live in the Tampa area, and am scheduled to leave here THURSDAY. Still sweating that out. Then if I do get there, I have to sweat the weahter out again.

Plane and Hotel paid for long ago.

I'm not nearly as concerned for myself as I am for the many fans and - especially - corps that are giving up several days to make the trip up here. I consider myself fortunate to be so close.

Regarding the weather.com comments...well, my source is the National Hurricane Center...and the computer models that the NHC uses to make forecasts...and I'm a meteorologist. So I have pretty valid reason for being a bit concerned about the weather. Still, I'm hopeful that some of the more recent computer forecasts have Ernesto tracking farther east and being much less of a nuisance. Let's all hope for sunny and 75!

Here's the update from the National Hurricane Service - usually they are more up to date than the weather channel.

Hurricane Ernesto

204813W_sm.gif

As of now the center will be close to NY around 2pm on Sunday . . . it'll just be a tropical depression but that still can mean a whole lot of rain and some winds. . . like a normal summertime thunderstorm. Yuck!

See you packing a rain poncho!

But Ernesto is definitely coming to Orlando. Hooray :worthy:

The corps' flight in early Friday morning. We should make it barring this storm becoming a major hurricane over land. (Yes I know that's impossible)

Yikes... let's hope that #### storm stays away.

1999..... Friday midday, the local forecast for Allentown was calling for clear skies all weekend.

Friday evening, we got back to our hotel room.... and the forecast was now calling for rain all day Sunday. We were like, WTF?????

Seems a hurricane (Hurricane Dennis, I think?) that had been spinning off the North Carolina coast for days and days, decided to move inland. "Perfect" timing. <**> Yes, it rained that Sunday.... but we also caught a break when the rain stopped about halfway through Finals.

It's early in the week yet, folks........ let's pray that the Weather Gods smile on Rochester this weekend. :)

Fran

Chill out everyone! We are only getting a tropical storm here in FL, by the weekend it'll peeter out probably on the east coast. Although, watch out for Lake Effect Snow!!! Ya never know.