Rochester and Ernesto?

Chill out everyone! We are only getting a tropical storm here in FL, by the weekend it'll peeter out probably on the east coast. Although, watch out for Lake Effect Snow!!! Ya never know.

on the news last night they said, and i quote, "this is really no worse than an average rainy night in florida"

a heftier breeze than normal and some rain down here. two days off from school, too b**bs :P

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's early in the week yet, folks........ let's pray that the Weather Gods smile on Rochester this weekend.

Fran

Although we've had many practices in downpours, wind, and heavy rain .... I'm with you, Fran ... let's pray things'll be good to go this weekend!

:)

Safe trip and great weekend to all in attendance!

Newest UPDATe from local weather forecasters!!

Earnesto has been DOWNGRADED to a Tropical depression !!! yeah ! :blink:

HOWEVER - once it goes back out to sea and heads towards the Carolina's it could be upgraded again.. hopefully it will disintegrate by the time it goes over Florida to nothing more than rain showers and clear weather greets us in Rochester!! B)

Safe travels everyone

After rain (or torrential downpour...) in Corning, the light sprinkle that occured in Reading felt like nothing. HOWEVER... If it rains this weekend, for the third weekend in a row, I will be angry. My sneakers are STILL noxious from Corning (I took them out of their plastic bag when I got home after that weekend and almost gagged... and then there were the socks)... and thats after hosing them down, leaving them on my deck in the rain, AND running them through the washing machine. I'm not looking forwards to breaking in the new sneakers to drum corps with a weekend of mud and rain!!

Ernesto is starting in annoy me... :P

Lauren

Edited by esmenbari

Although we've had many practices in downpours, wind, and heavy rain .... I'm with you, Fran ... let's pray things'll be good to go this weekend!

:)

Safe trip and great weekend to all in attendance!

Im in Orlando and the news has "ernesto" 20mi to my east and there isnt even a breeze.

;-)

YES....DCA Finals was rained out in 1987, and they used the prelims scores as the finals scores.

1988 was ALMOST a rainout as well. Prelims were fine, but finals night was raining so hard they had to move the competition to Monday (Labor Day) as the weather predictions were for clear skies that day.

:ramd: Now you've done it! It's gonna rain for sure, :sos: I say the show must go on! Does anybody remember the Arnold flood? MCL had so much fun in the rain they did it twice! ^OO^

:ramd: Now you've done it! It's gonna rain for sure, :sos: I say the show must go on! Does anybody remember the Arnold flood? MCL had so much fun in the rain they did it twice! ^OO^

BRing it on :P .!

Im in Orlando and the news has "ernesto" 20mi to my east and there isnt even a breeze.

;-)

Sprinkles here in Sarasota with overcast skies. Hey Rochester...don't worry! I wish I could come up but Jet Blue doesn't start flying out till Sep 21st and I have a cheap roundtrip to see my youngest son in October. Maybe next year I'll be with a corps...whoever wants me. Call!

Here's the update from the National Hurricane Service - usually they are more up to date than the weather channel.

Yeah, we're always correcting them. b**bs They update hourly, and we update every 4 hours - 6 hours.

Word is from my personal meteorolist friend "on the inside" at TWC (I work in their IT department), we stand a chance of getting the rain for sure on Sunday. You can already see increased t-storm activity all across the eastern seaboard as a result of convection ahead of Ernesto.

Here's how it's going to come down:

If the cold front picks up speed (as they tend to do with the drawing power of a powerful low like a hurricane) the cold front will keep Ernesto out of our hair. If, however, the Smokeys form a strong enough barrier against the cold front progressing, Ernesto will go north and then sweep around the end of the front and poop all over our parade.

The question is just how much poop. Even NWS can't tell us that.

I checked with NOAA, NWS, TWC, and several other weather-related acronyms and the general consensus from my guy is that everyone's predicting rain a little less than 50% because the possibility exists for rain, but not enough to be substantially worried about it en masse, but the possibility is definitely there.

>EDIT<

I just got the 4PM observations. It looks like the Saturday chance has been bumped up to 60% while leaving Sunday at 40%, so the consensus among meteorologists is that the cold front won't get fast enough to push on Ernesto, but he *is* supposed to pick up speed (but not steam). Therefore, there is a very real chance of it barelling right over us, and with pretty good vigor.

The only outside chance is if he can peter out the majority of his moisture before he gets to us.

Edited by CVQuesty

Hi all!

Sure can't question Jerald's connection to weather central, nor his desire to see this weekend go through as planned!

I'm responding from beautiful Geneva, New York. It's about 40 miles from Rochester. I stayed my first night here. I have a 10am meeting tomorrow morning in Rochester, and who wants to wake up at 2am, get in the car, then drive hazily off the side of the road? Right now, its mostly sunny and about 68 degrees. I am of the camp who thinks Rochester is too far north of Ernie when he passes through the Northeast.

Tonight, I'll be enjoying a porterhouse steak overlooking Seneca Lake. After that, a little drum corps work. My purpose in staying here was to check-out the Ramada Inn Geneva- Lakeside. Only been here about 90 minutes but this sure looks like a future long weekend destination for Chris and I! Very nice community, and a fabulous view from my top floor suite (don't worry, it's at my personal expense).

Here's the scoop about weather this year. PAETEC Park has the finest Fieldturf (artificial surface) and drainage system money can buy. This will not be another midnight Allentown decision. Boy, can I tell you stories! Even more reason to attend Prelims. You'll double your chances for a normal evening of drum corps. The only thing that will stop us is continuous lightning. For me, the trip to Rochester would be worth it for just Friday night. And that's indoors! I really think we'll be fine.

I'm here to help. Do not hesitate to contact me for information. Problem is, I will not be as easily accessible as when I'm back in Bethlehem.

I will check DCP as often as possible, and respond if I have tiime (and sobriety). Also, you are welcome to call my cell. That's 484-788-1017. If I can hear you, I'll answer. Please don't call me for scores. The DCP crew will have all of that up as it happens.

What a weekend!

Fred