Rochester and Ernesto?

The current projected path of Tropical Storm Ernesto takes it through the Rochester vicinity over the weekend. Granted, forecasts of tropical systems, especially their movements this far north (where they're more susceptible to the jet stream, etc.) are unreliable so far in advance. It also looks as though the storm may take a more easterly path than what's plotted in the link above, which would certainly be a welcome relief to many of us. Still, there's a very real possibility that the weekend could be a washout.

so if the storm takes a westerly path i'll get hit in rochester, and if it takes an easterly path , i'll get hit goin back to long island :(

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an fyi, as someone sitting through so called "Ernesto" it is nothing to be concerned about. At best it's like a bad thunderstorm. It fizzled out to a Tropical depression. And while granted it is nasty but not a big deal at all. Even if it does go back out it will probably do the same thing it did for us.

Thank Goodness for that. Good luck up there. :) I'm in Kissimmee, and we're supposed to be getting the "bad end" of the storm (so they say). But really, it's like a bad thunderstorm and some winds, no big deal. :)

I think I'm on the line where the cold front Jerald mentioned is hitting the first bands from Ernesto, and I can tell you it is MISERABLE outside - we may be getting it worse than Florida right now.

All afternoon we've had vivid lightning, heavy downpours, we have some cars floating in the streets and several homes and a church burning from lightning hits.

CorpsVets are leaving in one hour, and I fear we are going to be following this all the way up 77/79/90.

Get on the Bus!!

Fred - Thank you very much for the detailed response. That was exactly what I was looking for!

As to how Ernesto is shaping up, it looks like the computer models are coming into better agreement. They're generally showing the remnants of Ernesto moving through Upstate New York from Saturday afternoon into Sunday (although they vary on whether the worst of the rain will pass through western or eastern NY). It looks like prelims will be wet, but the rain should hopefully move out in time for finals, at least the way things are looking right now. Of course, things do sometimes change with these systems, especially in this situation, because there is no jet stream in the vicinity to strongly influence Ernesto's movement.

As far as what to expect under this scenario - showers throughout the day and night on Saturday, possibly with some heavy downpours, but also some breaks in the rain. It will probably be a bit breezy - more gusty should a thunderstrom pass overhead or nearby - but not terribly windy for the most part. Bring a poncho and it should be tolerable.

I'll try to post another update in the next day or two as the picture becomes clearer. Safe travels to anyone heading up in the next day or two!

I think I'm on the line where the cold front Jerald mentioned is hitting the first bands from Ernesto, and I can tell you it is MISERABLE outside - we may be getting it worse than Florida right now.

All afternoon we've had vivid lightning, heavy downpours, we have some cars floating in the streets and several homes and a church burning from lightning hits.

CorpsVets are leaving in one hour, and I fear we are going to be following this all the way up 77/79/90.

Unfortunately, our Floridian optimisim may be short-lived. Ernesto died out over Florida and is now back up to 50mph winds out at sea on a path to land in NC with some force.

Good news is there is alot of real estate to cover between NC and Roch and hopefully he dies out like he did here in the Sunshine State.

My last DCA...that I marched in anyways.....was in 1987 Allentown....and that really S&%$ed!

I pray that everything will "not be too bad"....so that I can enjoy being on the field with my fellow Brigs, and all the fans can enjoy some quality drum corps from all particpants.

I am sure knowing Allen Buell....he has a hot line to the man/woman (got to be PC) upstairs to make it all good!

See everyone this weekend, and best of luck to all corps!

Current Rochester forcast from Weather.com:

Saturday - Rain in the morning, cloudy during the day. High of 63, low of 62. Winds from the east at 12-14 MPH. Humidity 75-78 percent.

Sunday - Rain. High of 69, low of 58. Winds from the southwest at 9 MPH. Humidity 77 percent.

last i saw said rain saturday, followed by rain saturday, followed by rain saturday