Thank you from DCA.

Alot of people have mentioned the same positives I observed, so I'll just state my personal issues:

1.) I got out on the field in the whipping winds and pouring rains and as soon as we broke to go into our opening set, I realized there were no hash marks, yard lines, or even yard markers! I understand that water based paint will not stay out in that kind of hurricane weather, but what of the yard markers?! I can deal without the lines, but what the heck?! Gimme a clue.

2.) Given what I just said, was there any particular reason we couldn't have a one-day show on Sunday? I mean, let's face it... I know I'm not the only one who could have done a much better show with a marked field, yard markers, and without the wind pushing and pulling my horn off my face. I think the fans would have gotten their money's worth seeing all the corps put on one GOOD show. Just a thought.

3.) I understand Moe Knox may have been having health issues, and I certainly wish him the best. Moe has been a staple of DCA competitions since long before I started doing this. He's THE photo guy as far as I'm concerned. But, DCA has to be like DCI and I understand that. Now... what bothers me is even though I was forced to perform in "less than favorable conditions", and then with no hash marks, yard lines, or yard markers; they stopped taking action photos with the corps before mine. So after all that, I don't even have any photos of my miserable performance! And fat chance like I'm buying the corps photo crammed onto slippery bleachers in the mud having to hold my contra in front of my face in the dark and pouring rain. What's the point?

But just so I can be clear, even though I had a fairly trying weekend, it wasn't all bad. I would be doing a great dissrespect to alot of hard working people who made things go as well as they did. To them I say "thank you." But I was just particularly perturbed by the items I mentioned above. And I hope DCA will take these items into consideration, should a similar situation develop again next year (God forbid it!) - Not like it has ever rained at a drum corps show before...

Thank you. And thanks for listening. That shows a great amount of respect for the fans a participating members.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ALL good stuff - and yes, good that it's happening...

and yes, the young lady from bucs on the cover bears a strong resemblance to my Sue... just lighter hair...

Keep up the good work Fred.

<**> I have a few points to address. My issues pertain to the Alumni show. the first was the handicap parking. I drove five of the wives of the elder Yankee Rebels over to the stadium and they were all over 70 one woman just had knee replacement. We were told the parking lot near the shuttle bus point was for vips only. That parking lot remained somewhat empty the whole show. This is the show that the old timers attend. I think that someone needs to address that. The second maybe a shuttle again for the alumni show also.

2.The vendors that were in the stands selling progams, again the alumni show were screaming "progams"during performance.

3. I did take the shuttle finals night, which was nice except the parking lot was not lighted and in a desolate area. Maybe some lighting or somewhere with lighting. Hooray for the bus driver. He told us they had 4 buses but he had to send 2 home because no one was taking the shuttle. More organization on this issue.

4. :worthy:PEOPLE DURING THE ALUMNI SHOW ENTERING WHILE THE CORPS WERE IN PROGRESS. HOW ANNOYING. I had a family behind me with for young sons who were yelling for their lunch from a cooler. Needless to say it was a big bag of chip crunching and soda cans popping. Why didnt security at the gate stop that cooler from coming in. No one was allowed to bring in large umbrellas and I thought no food was allowed. And what happened to courtesy while a corps is in progress? Is that only for the competing corps.

5. :worthy: Rumor has it programs were sold before the event even started in Rochester on Friday and one alumni corps bought 200 programs. I hope this was not true. I do not like the people's choice for the alumnis everyone works just as hard and it is only a exibition. A cash prize was awarded. Again everyone works just as hard as the next one. My opinion.

6. <**> I think the photo's and the videos are over priced just like the tickets for some of the drama of the weekend. IS DCA CHANGING IN THE DIRECTION OF DCI. I paid 19.95 for 2 4 x 6 photo's of my husband ,which only cost about 25 cents at walmart. And you had to buy two. DCI monopoly?

7. :( The Alumni announcer did not annouce everybody with the same energy. In my opinion he showed his favorites. Next year keep consistant. We want Fran . He knows the alumni circut.

8. <**> More seating. If you want to expand the spectators in the Rochester area you need a bigger place. Is this the only place in Rochester area. Are there no football fields with more parking and seating.

Thank you for letting me vent. I am glad the competing corps had no problems but some of the Alumni corps felt cheated. I hope the next one leaves me with no heartache as this one has. I WILL TAKE THE SHERIFFS ANYDAY. I FELT SAFER IN SCRANTON OR SYRACUSE FOR THAT MATTER.

Thank you for letting me vent.

5. :worthy: Rumor has it programs were sold before the event even started in Rochester on Friday and one alumni corps bought 200 programs. I hope this was not true. I do not like the people's choice for the alumnis everyone works just as hard and it is only a exibition[/u]. A cash prize was awarded. Again everyone works just as hard as the next one. My opinion.

gotta love that rumor mill. <**>

just how much were progams? $7? x 200? so that would be spending $1,400 to POSSIBLY win a $3000 prize. that seems like a totally rediculous risk to me considering that most corps work on a shoestring budget to begin with.

it was even more rediculous to me when the rumor made its way over to our hotel that we were supposedly doing this. <**> <**> <**>

i used to have respect for our fellow corps that supposedly started the rumor but not quite so much anymore. it is one thing to bad mouth us based on our show ~ our performance ~ real issues. it's another to spread blantant lies. THAT really sucks and IMO it brings down the whole activity in the long run.

4. :worthy:PEOPLE DURING THE ALUMNI SHOW ENTERING WHILE THE CORPS WERE IN PROGRESS. HOW ANNOYING. I had a family behind me with for young sons who were yelling for their lunch from a cooler. Needless to say it was a big bag of chip crunching and soda cans popping. Why didnt security at the gate stop that cooler from coming in. No one was allowed to bring in large umbrellas and I thought no food was allowed. And what happened to courtesy while a corps is in progress? Is that only for the competing corps.

This happened a lot on Sunday as well. All I can say is that I was guilty one time after waiting an eternity for food, I ran back into my seat just as Cabs were starting. I'd already missed MBI in the line-up for popcorn and I sure didn't want to miss Hawthorne too.

However there were people going in and out at the halfway point of some shows. There was an announcement at the start of the show but no enforcement.

The two best things about DCA in Rochester were:

(1) The Rochester field did not become dangerous to the performers when it got wet. In fact, it was remarkably "not slippery." I prefer the acoustics of Lackawana Stadium in Scranton, but when it rained, the field was nightmare that DCA corps members don't need.

and

(2) The police, hotel staff, and general population were VERY hospitable to our corps, and seemed to all understand that some chaos naturally comes with the territory of having thousands of drum corps maniacs invade your city for a few days. Chris Nalls and I were stunned to have a police officer near the stadium actually tell us that "this is all about having a good time," and "we appreciate the fact that this event is bringing in so much revenue to our city" (his exact words).

In Scranton, the attitude of the police etc., was more like resenting the fact that we were invading their turf, instead of the drum corps being guests.

Bottom line, I was impressed by the effort the community made to make us all feel welcome, and it is great that DCA Finals found a home in Rochester for awhile.

Anyone know an attendance figure? Seemed like the stands were pretty full all the way to the end zones.

was there any particular reason we couldn't have a one-day show on Sunday?

Not knowing much about the finances of DCA, I'm betting this had to do with money. Let's face it, had DCA made it a one day event you would have had to refund any money for ticket sales on Saturday. I believe all the corps get a piece of this action; they split the DCA weekend money according to how many shows they performed in throughout the year. Therefore, while unpleasant to perform in, I'm sure the corps weren't pushing DCA to make it one big show the next day. In addition, you would have had to loose the alumni show to make it happen. Now imagine, practicing your butt off for a whole year to perform in one show and having it cancelled.

I can understand why DCA made the decision, and why the corps' supported it. However, with wind gusts pushing 30mph at times, I was concerned for the performers marching around potential projectiles. Good thing no one's eye got put out. :P

My mood would have certainly been dampened had I seen someone become injured.

Let's keep the folks that did the program book. Too often, DCA settled for second best when it comes to this valuable PR piece.

The design, layout, COLOR and choice of individual photos in this year's book was all a winner. Score pages are great fun for the statistic types. I doubt enough were sold to make it profitable given the poor conditions on Saturday and Sunday morning, however, underwriting the program should be a priority. Simply put: It makes DCA look World Class.

Can we open the book to sponsored "well wishers" (e.g. "go get 'em Statesmen! From Bill) Two lines for $5.00? And if not in the actual book, as an insert?

Can we make the program book available at the Individuals venue via volunteers?

Can we add a "day-specific" insert to keep it fresh and in demand? Gamin, Cozy, Tom P can give you content in a hurry.

Can you underwrite the inserts with a vendor ad and some coupons?

Can we include the program as an offering in the ticket packages and mail either the book or a claim coupon with the pre-sold tickets?

Can we homogenize the write-ups just a little more? Some of the write-ups were sheer prose, others left something to be desired.

And who was on the cover this year? I say it's a picture of Susie Peashey from either Crusaders or Brigs. It's just a wonderful shot. Can you confirm?

And can we make sure ALL the corps competing are listed??? I looked and there was NO section on SoCal Dream....none, zilch, zip, nada

My only other real complaint was the photo setup afterwards... #1 unstable stands....the riser I was standing on wobbled way too much for my liking. #2 the guy running it needed a megaphone that actually worked....it was like listening to a drive-thru speaker (want fries with that?), #3 (and the biggie) can someone educate teh guy that demanding that the contra players take a 35-40 lb hunk o' brass up a narrow, wobbly, and rain-slicked set of metal stands WHILE it's monsooning is NOT a good idea....he seemed mortally offended when our contras opted for the much safer and logical option of being on the ground.

Edited by 84BDsop