Thank you from DCA.

I may be wrong but... weren't most of the Established DCA East Coast corps once Jr. Corps? I don't know my history here but, I'm assuming that DCA was available to these corps as an alternative to DCI.

The majority of established DCA Corps were always Senior Drum Corps. Most were started after WWII and competed under American Legion and VFW auspices prior to the establishment of DCA. So, since neither DCA or DCI existed then, your assumption is incorrect.

Ian

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the talk about established fan base is very understandable to me. After sitting back and going through all the conversation... something struck me. I may be wrong but... weren't most of the Established DCA East Coast corps once Jr. Corps? I don't know my history here but, I'm assuming that DCA was available to these corps as an alternative to DCI.

Which in turn got me thinking about corps in Michigan such as the Saginaires/Northern Aurora/Squires/Coachmen etc etc., which still have an active alumni base. There were thousands of corps all over this country not so long ago. These folks out here in the corn do pay attention to what's going on with Alumni corps and DCA Sr. Corps. I know this because I get emails from them constantly.

After pondering that fact ...... I don't see fan base as an issue. If you advertise it in advance .... be proactive and spread the word ..... THEY WILL COME! I know the regional circuits of DCA are doing their part to grow the fan base. It shouldn't take too long for the goals to succeed, along with an influx of new corps in regional areas. Besides, aren't DCI fans DRUM CORPS FANS? The midwest jr. corps from the late 60's are still Jr. Corps with DCI (which have a huge following and have obviously been successful over the years). The alumn's of those corps him and haw all the time on this forum about how they hate what DCI is doing to drum corps. Now put two and two together and see what conclusion you come to. I think it's not only valid to make a serious effort at doing championships farther west ....... I think it's imperitive.

I know that most will say it's too costly for the North Eastern corps to travel so far. Maybe so, but that's only for one weekend out of the year. The last time I checked ...... 15 of the 31 corps that participated in DCA this year were NOT from the NorthEast. Those 15 corps spend 6000-10000 dollars per trip to get their corps to a single show (transportation costs alone). If the argument is that DCA is interested in the financial wellbeing of it's corps ..... I'm sure it's not just the 51% they are considering .... right?

Larger venues have more seats. More seats are more ticket/food/souvie sales. More funds generated for DCA Championships equals LARGER SHARE POINT dollars to each corps.

Anyway ........ just my own personal thoughts .. strike at will

keep building the regions. it will happen. casual fans will not show up for finals prices without regular season build up

The majority of established DCA Corps were always Senior Drum Corps. Most were started after WWII and competed under American Legion and VFW auspices prior to the establishment of DCA. So, since neither DCA or DCI existed then, your assumption is incorrect.

Ian

I'm sorry that part came out unclear. I was asking the question in reference to 1972 (post AL/VFW). I do thank you for clearing up the part about SR. corps in general. I was unaware that a Sr. division exhisted in the AL/VFW era. I guess the deeper question is ...... was DCA strictly an Eastern circuit upon inception? If the answer is yes, then I can understand why there are so few Sr. corps in other parts of the country that have competed consistently since the transition from AL/VFW to DCI/DCA.

was DCA strictly an Eastern circuit upon inception? If the answer is yes, then I can understand why there are so few Sr. corps in other parts of the country that have competed consistently since the transition from AL/VFW to DCI/DCA.

YES

I may be wrong but... weren't most of the Established DCA East Coast corps once Jr. Corps? I don't know my history here but, I'm assuming that DCA was available to these corps as an alternative to DCI.

Some of the Senior corps that started after WWII had lot of members that were in in Junior corps before the war. But the corps that were started after WWII were always Seniors.

Three examples off the top of my head are Skyliners (had members from two AL Junior corps), Caballeros (St George <something> Jr members) and Westshoremen (VFW Jr corps members).

Now that I saw your follow up post. (Shame on me for not reading the whole thread first) :blink:

American Legion started with what became known as Senior corps by having corps with all Legion members (IOW - all veterans). American Legion started 1919 and I know of at least one post that had a corps in 1920. Around 1938 the Legion started sposoring activities for the kids of the Legion members. This was the start of the Sons of the American Legion (SAL). The SAL sponsored baseball, trips and .... of yeah... Drum Corps. So for the American Legion, the Senior corps started before the Juniors did.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Jim....in Philly there were many corps who came back as seniors after WWII, principal among them would be Archer Epler from Archer Epler Jr. corps and Upper Darby Post 214; the Reilly Raiders who returned as the A.K. Street Seniors (they were once a junior corps) and East Germantown juniors; Osmond Post (Osmond Cadets); Imhoff Thunderbirds; Olney Post; Huston Post; and others in the area...........a long tradition

Some of the Senior corps that started after WWII had lot of members that were in in Junior corps before the war. But the corps that were started after WWII were always Seniors.

Three examples off the top of my head are Skyliners (had members from two AL Junior corps), Caballeros (St George <something> Jr members) and Westshoremen (VFW Jr corps members).

Jim....in Philly there were many corps who came back as seniors after WWII, principal among them would be Archer Epler from Archer Epler Jr. corps and Upper Darby Post 214; the Reilly Raiders who returned as the A.K. Street Seniors (they were once a junior corps) and East Germantown juniors; Osmond Post (Osmond Cadets); Imhoff Thunderbirds; Olney Post; Huston Post; and others in the area...........a long tradition

Guess I'm banned from going to Upper Darby for not thinking of Archie. :P

Thinking about it Jim, was there any Senior corps that started in the late 1940s that didn't have a connection to at least one pre-war Junior corps? And seeing the same corps listed as a Junior and Senior corps (but different years) can make you look like --> :blink:

And supersop, first MidWest corps to make DCA Finals was Boys of '76 (Racine, WI) in 1970. Minnesota Brass and Chicago Connection started making the trip in the late 1970s.

...... was DCA strictly an Eastern circuit upon inception? If the answer is yes, then I can understand why there are so few Sr. corps in other parts of the country that have competed consistently since the transition from AL/VFW to DCI/DCA.

No with a slight yes.

DCA was founded to replace some disagreements with AL and VFW circuits, to include all American, Canadian and any other country who wished to participate. No rules were changed to later allow, say, Dr. Terren Frenz's Ohio Brass Factory to compete, and the rules stood to allow Inspires to enter from Japan.

Yet, most all the sr. corps in 1965 were from the Northeast and this was reflected in those first few years and later.

Whether old-fashioned or avant-garde, all corps nuts have had to adjust to the healthy growth of adding corps from all over. Shakos off to all the "newer" corps. Soon, it will be time to expand the Finals back to the top 12! B)

....LOLOLOL.....that might make 2 of us.......as for seniors who did not have connections to a pre WWII junior, I don't know of any........hey did I tell ya that I saw my 1st show in 1949???? And Victory is still good brew.

Guess I'm banned from going to Upper Darby for not thinking of Archie. :P

Thinking about it Jim, was there any Senior corps that started in the late 1940s that didn't have a connection to at least one pre-war Junior corps? And seeing the same corps listed as a Junior and Senior corps (but different years) can make you look like --> :blink:

And supersop, first MidWest corps to make DCA Finals was Boys of '76 (Racine, WI) in 1970. Minnesota Brass and Chicago Connection started making the trip in the late 1970s.