Big Event on TV tonight!

I'm sure I didn't get the quote exactly right, but did anyone catch that and/or was anyone else bothered by that? Maybe I heard it wrong or am reading too much into it .... Maybe I was distracted by the, ummmm, well you know ....

Anyway -- thoughts??

I get what she was saying, though and no it didn't bother me so much.

Color Guard is supposed to be expressive. Their faces, their body movements.. everything they do is designed for visual effect so their "expressiveness" (like a dancer expresses him/herself) is pivotal.

Tell me it wouldn't make a difference if BD's colorguard wore expressionless faces and merely moved their arms and legs around to complete the work and I'll give you a million examples of why you'd be wrong.

They're dancing and dancers -- like gymnasts or actors -- since they can't do so through words, must to express the appropriate emotions through use of their bodies.

Stef

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what she was saying, though and no it didn't bother me so much.

Color Guard is supposed to be expressive. Their faces, their body movements.. everything they do is designed for visual effect so their "expressiveness" (like a dancer expresses him/herself) is pivotal.

Tell me it wouldn't make a difference if BD's colorguard wore expressionless faces and merely moved their arms and legs around to complete the work and I'll give you a million examples of why you'd be wrong.

They're dancing and dancers -- like gymnasts or actors -- since they can't do so through words, must to express the appropriate emotions through use of their bodies.

Stef

Yeah, I see your point. But I could say the opposite as well .... Tell me it wouldn't make a difference if BD's colorguard had terrific facial expressions while dropping equipment left and right and missing their forms and not staying in time with each other and I'll give YOU an million examples of why you'd be wrong, as well. :)

I get that the expressive side is important, but it seemed to me that she went out of her way to say MOST important -- implying more important than skill and technique -- and that I would take issue with.

We're all on the same side here. People contribute how they can, when they can. For some, that's donating time. Others donate money. Some just buy a t-shirt or put a few bucks in a gas fund at the souvie booth.

It's not a pissing contest, nor should it be made out to be one, right? :wink:

All this rigamaroll over a mention of Div ll/lll corps on the DCI telecast! Sheesh! Are not the ll/lll corps part of DCI? Were they not at the same competition? More importantly are there really people who cant brook even the mildest criticism of DCI?

All this rigamaroll over a mention of Div ll/lll corps on the DCI telecast! Sheesh! Are not the ll/lll corps part of DCI? Were they not at the same competition? More importantly are there really people who cant brook even the mildest criticism of DCI?

Welcome to the off-season. :P

But it wasn't recorded in High Definition.No, it wasn't.

Is the quality of a non-HD show higher when it is broadcast HD?Yes it is- if you

have a HDTV, switch between "regular" and HD- you should see the difference. I think maybe marginally so (anyone know for sure). But it sure isn't anywhere near what HD looks like. HD has really spoiled me. Even last years DCI DVDs don't look crisp and clear to me. DVD resolution is not HD resolution.Correct, DVD=480 lines, HD=1080 (interlaced) or 720(progressive)

And I don't know about the sound. Was it more than stereo? No, it was Dolby Digital 2.0. vs. Analog stereo.

a Dolby Digital 2.0 source, when converted to Dolby PL II EX will result in a more realistic surround than Analog Stereo. Just cause a show is on an HD channel doesn't mean it utilizes all the potential of the channel. Correct again.

sorry about my messed up formatting.

Edited by audiodave

Yeah, I see your point. But I could say the opposite as well .... Tell me it wouldn't make a difference if BD's colorguard had terrific facial expressions while dropping equipment left and right and missing their forms and not staying in time with each other and I'll give YOU an million examples of why you'd be wrong, as well. :)

Yeah, well when BD does that (emotes themselves out of execution), then I'll agree.. till then.. :wink:

I get that the expressive side is important, but it seemed to me that she went out of her way to say MOST important -- implying more important than skill and technique -- and that I would take issue with.

I see what you're saying now.. I wasn't listening that closely so it didn't bug me.

Stef

The commentary is done a week or two later after finals. That's probably why it sounds less than spontanious. The definately know what they're talking about.

A week or two after finals??? It was done at finals. They know what they are talking about. Yeah, they rehearsed it. That's what they do on television.

I can't believe that there are that many people out there who don't know who Steve and Dennis are. Guys, now we know why this activity is changing so drastically. It's being taken over by the young. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ESPN (Disney) and DCI have to make a $ somehow. So therefore, commercials. They don't show entire perfromances because bright people may decide to record the broadcast and not buy the DVD's and CD's. Now we wouldn't want that would we. I appreciate the fact that the whole country gets to see a little piece of what I've loved for over forty years.

How many do you think watched the PBS broadcast in the past as opposed to ESPN's show?

Please look at the big picture. It is a step in the right direction for our activity to be seen on a national platform. Be grateful for the chance.

Nat Mazyck

OLPH Ridgemen 1964 - 1966

Sunrisers 1967 - 1970

Sunrisers 1978 - 1992

:wink::wink:

A week or two after finals??? It was done at finals. They know what they are talking about. Yeah, they rehearsed it. That's what they do on television.

The commentary is done a week or two after finals at an edit facility in Chicago. The stand ups are done in Madison such as the oppening sequence and the interview with Jeff at the end.

After reading several of these, I think we all can agree on one thing:

Whether good or bad or not the way you would had done it, DCI on ESPN 2 was a GOOD THING. It's true that there is no such thing as bad press. I remember how I found drum corps...it was scanning through cable channels in '95 when I saw what was then on PBS. I remember thinking "They HAVE this?!" Why then should we nit pick about how scores were mis typed, and too many close ups. The bottom line is it reached a much larger audiance which inturn will be great for the future of drum corps.

just my dos cents.

After reading several of these, I think we all can agree on one thing:

Whether good or bad or not the way you would had done it, DCI on ESPN 2 was a GOOD THING. It's true that there is no such thing as bad press. I remember how I found drum corps...it was scanning through cable channels in '95 when I saw what was then on PBS. I remember thinking "They HAVE this?!" Why then should we nit pick about how scores were mis typed, and too many close ups. The bottom line is it reached a much larger audiance which inturn will be great for the future of drum corps.

just my dos cents.

Thank you. That's all I was saying. I'm not a broadcast tech or an expert in the field of tv, but I do know having more people than ever getting a glimpse of our activity can't hurt. We need more and more viewers and participators than ever. The ESPN show was a good way to achieve that goal.

Nat Mazyck

OLPH/Sun - 4 2 many yrs