Stupid Penalties

jojo- Your statement is true, IF judging begins once the Honor Guard steps on the field. But if the judging begins after the DM is asked, "Is your corps ready? etc" well, by then the Honor Guard is already posted. I DO agree though...no one in the corps should ever preceed the colors, once they're in 'performance mode.'

I'm suprised this thread has gotten so much attention. Throughout the years, I've heard too many comments alluding to how the Honor Guard "isn't really important at all. They 'just stand there'." Etc. But, of course it's precisely because of what those colors stand for, that we are free to do this thing we call drum corps. :worthy:

:P So there!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout the years, I've heard too many comments alluding to how the Honor Guard "isn't really important at all. They 'just stand there'." Etc.

I kinda' miss the old color-pre (thinking of old school Kilts in particular) -- it's a tricky thing to choreograph because of the rules and it always elicits a great response ... but even when the flag is not part of the show or even on the field (i.e. DCI), I think us colorguard types realize it's the reason we're here at all ... especially those of us with weapons in our hands.

Edited by jojo

jojo- Your statement is true, IF judging begins once the Honor Guard steps on the field. But if the judging begins after the DM is asked, "Is your corps ready? etc" well, by then the Honor Guard is already posted. I DO agree though...no one in the corps should ever preceed the colors, once they're in 'performance mode.'

I'm suprised this thread has gotten so much attention. Throughout the years, I've heard too many comments alluding to how the Honor Guard "isn't really important at all. They 'just stand there'." Etc. But, of course it's precisely because of what those colors stand for, that we are free to do this thing we call drum corps. :worthy:

:P So there!

Honor Guard etiquette has been stressed to the Renegades members every year we've gone to DCA. I'm personally proud to have an honor guard especially at the DCI shows (since we're usually the only one).

Next year we discuss Honor Guard etiquette and boundary lines. B)

Mistress Kelli & jojo- Ladies, it's nice to know there are still those who appreciate the significance and true meaning behind the flag that represents our great nation.

As a side note- Doesn't it seem a little 'two-faced' that you see Honor Guards at DCI Finals, (every corps) but NONE at regular season shows? What's up with that? IMHO, the Jr. corps could at the very least, follow the lead of DCA, and post their Honor Guards in the RF corner.

Soap box off.

Also with the tick system gone and subjective judging the rule of the day, is there no room for a toe or two touching or inching over the line by accident compared to someone blatantly stepping over the line with full intentions?

The line has to be drawn SOMEWHERE....DCA has chosen to draw that line at 15 feet.....if the rule is 15 feet, and we KNOW they won't give penalties for 15 feet, 3 inches, then some people will stand at 15 feet, 3 inches.....and if they "accidentally" go 15 feet 6 inches and get a penalty, you know they will be griping about that too.....or wondering why they stood at 15 feet 3 inches while another corps stood at 15 feet 6 inches and DIDN'T get penalized...heck, we've already seen that in this thread alone. As for deeming whether somethign is purposeful or accidental, personally, I'd rather NOT let DCA have to power to decide.......I don't want to get penalized for accidentally crossing a line becuase some judge "decides" that I did it on purpose, and then he let's another corps off the hook becuase he decides that it was merely an "accident" that their upoper lead sops all ended 18 feet in front of the pit, HOWEVER, if DCA DOES decide to operate this way, it's up to each corps to evaluate whether or not they want to abide by the rules of DCA and if so, welcome back, but if you can't abide by the rules of the governing board of the activity, then there are probably better things to do with your summer.

As someone who was a "victim" of the penalty in 03 (which, by the way, was MY fault ), I have no right to complain about it...granted, the individual corps memebrs were never informed of the boundary rules before hand, but you can BET that when we came back in '04, we ALL knew wher ethe lines where and which ones not to cross....we chose to accept those rules and we played by them. That was the best show I have ever been lucky enough to have been a part of, and granted, I personally think we still got robbed scorewise in 04, but THAT's a whole different story! :P

It was me.

Both years.

Chris, i'm tellin ya, there's a show in this.

Johnny Cash walked the line, but you guys keep crossing it

Mistress Kelli & jojo- Ladies, it's nice to know there are still those who appreciate the significance and true meaning behind the flag that represents our great nation.

As a side note- Doesn't it seem a little 'two-faced' that you see Honor Guards at DCI Finals, (every corps) but NONE at regular season shows? What's up with that? IMHO, the Jr. corps could at the very least, follow the lead of DCA, and post their Honor Guards in the RF corner.

Soap box off.

Unless it's mandated, it will never happen.