Stupid Penalties

It should have been obvious from the original joke that it was indeed that...a joke. I jokingly replied, as did a few others.

Bear in mind we all just got back from NEW YORK. </JOKE> </sortof>

Not that A## in a Skirt jives by people driving cars with NY plates and wearing other corps jackets at "OUR" hotel made us be in the mood for jokes. </NO JOKE>

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no argument on the front line penalty as a safety measure. Tom explains the reasoning well. In fact the Renegades should know better as we have been bit by this rule before. However a couple things are a bit excessive if you ask me.

Why is the penalty assessed at 1 point? That's huge! In some cases that could drop a corps down several standings. Is it that big of a safety hazard? Wouldn't a 10th or two per person be sufficient?

Also with the tick system gone and subjective judging the rule of the day, is there no room for a toe or two touching or inching over the line by accident compared to someone blatantly stepping over the line with full intentions? This penalty is treated like a football team fighting for first down. For one full point the judge should get out the chains and measure from the front sideline. Can I get a ruling from the booth?

Change the rule or not I really don’t care. Gades down two points for a penalty does not matter. Down two points in finals score compared to prelims, now ya got some splainin to do. I have long ago stopped trying to figure out the judging system for DCA or DCI. I have seen so many blatant discrepancies over the last 6 years that I put no value in the scores or placements other than amusing antidotes. Why I go to DCA is for whatever inconsistencies the judging may have it produces a variety of show styles with a focus on entertaining the audience. In turn it creates fans that are not afraid to stand up and cheer or boo or show emotion. I wish more of my fellow members could have this attitude but unfortunately these inconsistencies can and have discouraged people from returning. That’s bad for corps however you look at it.

All I know is that Tom Argy, the T&P judge for DCA Finals in recent years, knows the rulebook inside and out and is a no-nonsense guy. Reminds me a lot of Harvey Wingo on the DCI side. Both guys REALLY know their stuff. Don't mess with either of 'em on Finals night!!!!

Fran

Or ask them to play C above the staff and they take it up an octave! :P

Thanks for the clarification, Tom!

Well, duh! That's the only way to live! ^0^

I actually have a question about this whole penalty matter myself.

My understanding was that last year Bush trooped the stands and therefore went past the front boundary (obviously since you troop the stands by going in front of the field). They were only given a .01 penalty for the entire corps breaking the boundary.

That confuses me since Renegades were given a full point for 1 person.

Can you help clear this up as well Tom?

Thanks!!

I actually have a question about this whole penalty matter myself.

My understanding was that last year Bush trooped the stands and therefore went past the front boundary (obviously since you troop the stands by going in front of the field). They were only given a .01 penalty for the entire corps breaking the boundary.

That confuses me since Renegades were given a full point for 1 person.

Can you help clear this up as well Tom?

Thanks!!

Actually, Bush recieved a 1.0 penalty, which cost them second place.

The difference is that Bush's penalty occured AFTER the performance had ended, while the Renegades committed thier heinous crime during the show.

Let the beatings commence!

Actually, Bush recieved a 1.0 penalty, which cost them second place.

The difference is that Bush's penalty occured AFTER the performance had ended, while the Renegades committed thier heinous crime during the show.

Let the beatings commence!

but technically are you not under performance untill the last corps member ( not including pit ) has crossed the end zone goal line. ?

hey hey hey! i can take care of myself!

and even if i couldn't, it's good to know people bigger than me :P

Ummm we Kilties are very civilized and dont tackle any women unless invited to do so.

It was me.

It was me.

Those are bragging rights in the Renegades! You are going to have to prove it to get the glory.

It was me. During the final note of the show I took such a deep breath it momentarily pulled the frontline in past my feet. After unleashing the final note I believe the front line ended up in the press box. I understand John Donavan is still wiping cheap white field paint off his lap top. I swear it's true B)

Edited by dugada