What is it about DCA people

I noticed at prelims and at finals night.. that people seriously like to talk LOUD!!! Yes LOUD IS GOOD but with horns Yes! but with chattering sucks like from what i heard in the stands, NO!!!

People were just chatting and chatting and chatting

Oh and what made it worse.. the people who block the entrances to the stands didnt do their job. THey were just letting people walk freely.. blah blah!! (well at least where i was at)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed at prelims and at finals night.. that people seriously like to talk LOUD!!! Yes LOUD IS GOOD but with horns Yes! but with chattering sucks like from what i heard in the stands, NO!!!

People were just chatting and chatting and chatting

Oh and what made it worse.. the people who block the entrances to the stands didnt do their job. THey were just letting people walk freely.. blah blah!! (well at least where i was at)

People walking freely will always be a problem but also, I'm sure, will be corrected as the people who block the entrances become more savy. On that note, sorry to say, drum corps' personnel are probably the worst offenders. They somehow think it is their right as a participant, either past or present, to do so. Very hard to eliminate this problem unless we import the Brown shirts from Scranton. THIS they were very good at, but I'd much rather be in RaChaCha.

I agree with you.

However, I see people talking loudly on their cell phones everywhere. At the store, the bank, shows, you name it.

So unfortunately, yes sometimes you have to ask an adult to not speak on the phone during a performance. Some people are just that stupid.

agreed

I think, as a culture, we've already lost the "loud public cell phone conversations" battle.

On that note, sorry to say, drum corps' personnel are probably the worst offenders. They somehow think it is their right as a participant, either past or present, to do so. Very hard to eliminate this problem unless we import the Brown shirts from Scranton. THIS they were very good at, but I'd much rather be in RaChaCha.

Ha.....all very true!

At the Alumni show I had a big family with kids come in the stands with three corps left to perform walk up during the Rebs performance (I had a video camera going) right past the camera sit behind us and talk and pass a big bag of noisey chips and soda cans around and preceed to torment the bees and shake up their soda cans. Not one time did the parents correct their kids they were just as bad. I athought you were not supposed to bring in food or a cooler they had one.

What happened to the common courtesy of waiting for the corps to finish before approaching the stands. Some of the uniformed Alumni were guilty of this too.

Good points. Good points. A few of you brought up breaking rank.

I was taught VERY EARLY in my marching career, that fans/spectators (particularly at non-drum corps events ie football games) break the ranks of marching units as a blatant show of disrepect.

People who do this think that who they are and where they are going is soooooooo freaking important that simply cannot wait for the unit to pass and therefore try to break rank. This happens quite a bit when the the corps is in 2's.

My first marching instructor marched Contra at VK in the mid-80's. He always used to yell at us when we were in 2's or in a parade form: "DONT LET ANYONE BREAK RANK!!!!!"

in the last 10 yrs, ive had ample oppurtunity to stop potential rank breakers. Sometimes I even leave a little extra room, to tempt the person whose time must be soooo important - just so I can put my hand out, stop them and teach them a little lesson about respecting the ranks, "I'm sorry - I CANT let you through ... we consider it an insult"

This thread just compelled me to remind everyone of the rule that is likely as old as military marching itself:

"Don't let anyone break rank!!!!!!!"

Sometimes I even leave a little extra room, to tempt the person whose time must be soooo important - just so I can put my hand out, stop them and teach them a little lesson about respecting the ranks, "I'm sorry - I CANT let you through ... we consider it an insult"

Classy.

<**>

Here's my two pennies. I was in the suites in VIP seating and had a family of people who's daughter simply worked for the stadium sitting around me. Couldnt have cared less about the show. I had to ask the one of them FOUR times to please just go to the back of the suite area by the stairs if you wish to talk. Each one request got progressively nastier and I was given the look like I was in the wrong for making such a request. Quite frusterating.

Edited by Iplaytimpani

I sat next to a VERY loud mother of one of the mellophone players in the winning corps at Championships.

She ran her pie hole and talked on the cell phone during many of the corps performing.I made some exaggerated gestures towards her and she finally shut the heck up.

People,,show some respect for the corps while your in the stands and SHut your pie hole.If you want to run your mouth,,,go behind the bleachers and talk all you want to.

I'm sorry one of our mothers offended you, but was it really necessary to bring her corps affiliation into the equation? If you need an appology from the corps, I can offer one, but the way you word it seems like you're more offended that she was with the Bucs than the fact that she was talking.

Good points. Good points. A few of you brought up breaking rank.

I was taught VERY EARLY in my marching career, that fans/spectators (particularly at non-drum corps events ie football games) break the ranks of marching units as a blatant show of disrepect.

People who do this think that who they are and where they are going is soooooooo freaking important that simply cannot wait for the unit to pass and therefore try to break rank. This happens quite a bit when the the corps is in 2's.

My first marching instructor marched Contra at VK in the mid-80's. He always used to yell at us when we were in 2's or in a parade form: "DONT LET ANYONE BREAK RANK!!!!!"

in the last 10 yrs, ive had ample oppurtunity to stop potential rank breakers. Sometimes I even leave a little extra room, to tempt the person whose time must be soooo important - just so I can put my hand out, stop them and teach them a little lesson about respecting the ranks, "I'm sorry - I CANT let you through ... we consider it an insult"

This thread just compelled me to remind everyone of the rule that is likely as old as military marching itself:

"Don't let anyone break rank!!!!!!!"

I think those days are past. And I come from further back than you do. In any case I always thought rank breaking was only an insult when done by someone who knew better or should have known better such as a member of another corps, not a fan. Now I think its only considered impolite.