Strange yet interesting question...

Does anyone know of any drum and bugle corps that are associated or sponsored by fire departments that are active today? I would suspect that they would be very local, and parade or standstill only.

And yeah, yeah, yeah, I already know about the Bluecoats and who used to sponsor them. Thank you. I may be dumb, but I am OLD.

Wait.

That didn't sound right...well, anyway, you get what I mean.

Move along.

Didn't Cadets get the help of a fire department in 2002?

a "sounds" sponsorship? I know it's not the same but

it was the first thing that came to mind.

On the all-age side, I think the Golden Eagles parade and exhibition corps from West Sayville, Long Island, are sponsored by the local fire department. The Golden Eagles won the DCA I&E mini-corps show a couple of years ago.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Does anyone know of any drum and bugle corps that are associated or sponsored by fire departments that are active today? ...

And yeah, yeah, yeah, I already know about the Bluecoats and who used to sponsor them. ...

Bluecoats were founded as an outreach program of the Canton, Ohio Police Boy’s Club in 1972.

Bluecoats were founded as an outreach program of the Canton, Ohio Police Boy’s Club in 1972.

That was the PAL (Police Activities League)wasn't it? The PAL is still in existance today here in Bakersfield, CA but I have no idea about other localities.

On the all-age side, I think the Golden Eagles parade and exhibition corps from West Sayville, Long Island, are sponsored by the local fire department. The Golden Eagles won the DCA I&E mini-corps show a couple of years ago.

Fran

I am thinking they used to be a junior parade and exhibition corps back in the late 70's...early 80's. I used to judge indoor shows out on the Island and there was a group with the same name from the same area....who were not bad. The great BS drum instructor Bobby Thompson was their drum guy, so you KNOW the kids got great training on the fundamentals of drumming.

These shows were all-day-long events. There would be individuals held in classrooms at a school, usually lasting all morning long....percussion, brass, and guard. A corps show would follow in a gym or multi-purpose room (they seemed to have been held mostly in elementary schools)....and then in the evening a guard show.

That was the PAL (Police Activities League)wasn't it? The PAL is still in existance today here in Bakersfield, CA but I have no idea about other localities.

I don't believe the PAL was involved. It was an activity of the Police Boys Club and I'm not sure whether the club still sponsors the corps in any way but the corps still holds rehearsals in ohio at the police boys club and the middle school next door.

Does anyone know of any drum and bugle corps that are associated or sponsored by fire departments that are active today? I would suspect that they would be very local, and parade or standstill only.

And yeah, yeah, yeah, I already know about the Bluecoats and who used to sponsor them. Thank you. I may be dumb, but I am OLD.

Wait.

That didn't sound right...well, anyway, you get what I mean.

Move along.

There is the Hamilton Fire Fighters from Hamilton, ON. Although their uniform makes them appear to _be_ firefighters.