Who Will Be the Next 1st-Time DCI Champiom

How about the over/under on there won't be one? If there is, at least 20 years from now? DCI isn't geared towards crowning new champs. Yeah, I know Crown won, but look at the history and forecast forward.

It seems the common belief is that Bluecoats or BAC are the consensus contenders, barring a meteroric rise. Have there been any other instances of a meteoric rise like Star of Indiana's run? Or does anyone foresee any other corps that could make that kind of run?

Had Jim Ott not been tragically killed, I think we would have seen Spirit of Atlanta win a title in the early 80's. His passing took the wind out of their sails. Many predicted they would make finals their first year competing in 1977, and I have heard that they had a difficult time adjusting to the high altitude of Denver, competing early in prelims, and a jittery performance that was not characteristic of their previous shows, though a quick place at Corpsreps does not support this theory. Their first year in finals they placed 6th, then 4th, and in 1980, They were within a point of taking the title.

• Like 2

In fall of 2007, I created the Competitive Inertia thread to answer this specific question. In that thread, I predicted, in order, Crown, Bluecoats and Glassmen (for consideration, based on the sustained leadership of Brian Hickman.) For Crown:

<<If I were to use this data to make a prediction of "who's most-likely to win that hasn't?", I'd first look to corps with long and consistent leadership.

Carolina Crown has had the same leadership since its inception, 1990. They are certainly going about things the right way, and they've improved regularly. With a Top 6 finish this year, LOOK OUT in the not too distant future. (but they'll have to finish in the Top 3 first, see above)

>>

They followed the CI Theory to the letter, first coming in 2nd or 3rd, and then winning. There is no mystery...consistent leadership.

Bloo is up next, as they have already finished 2nd or 3rd.

If it's to be any OTHER corps, that corps will have to make it to 2nd or 3rd first, and then earn 1st. Who has the most consistent leadership? Boston? Blue Knights? I really don't know. But I know it will have to be a factor.

Just stumbled across this topic and thought, this is interesting. Went to page 1, only to discover that I started the thread way back when. It took 7 years, but it seems I was right about both Crown and Bluecoats. Guess I'll quit while I'm ahead and make no more predictions for seven more years or so.

• Like 1

In fall of 2007, I created the Competitive Inertia thread to answer this specific question. In that thread, I predicted, in order, Crown, Bluecoats and Glassmen (for consideration, based on the sustained leadership of Brian Hickman.) For Crown:

<<If I were to use this data to make a prediction of "who's most-likely to win that hasn't?", I'd first look to corps with long and consistent leadership.

Carolina Crown has had the same leadership since its inception, 1990. They are certainly going about things the right way, and they've improved regularly. With a Top 6 finish this year, LOOK OUT in the not too distant future. (but they'll have to finish in the Top 3 first, see above)

>>

They followed the CI Theory to the letter, first coming in 2nd or 3rd, and then winning. There is no mystery...consistent leadership.

Bloo is up next, as they have already finished 2nd or 3rd.

If it's to be any OTHER corps, that corps will have to make it to 2nd or 3rd first, and then earn 1st. Who has the most consistent leadership? Boston? Blue Knights? I really don't know. But I know it will have to be a factor.

I think BK are closer than anyone not named Bluecoats. Their past two programs show that they're on the right path.

I think BK are closer than anyone not named Bluecoats. Their past two programs show that they're on the right path.

I totally agree. BK has a great design team, especially their visual design. It will take some time, but I think they could make a move. I hope we see the Bluecoats win in the next five years or so. I think it would be good for the activity to see more corps compete at the very highest level. It will encourage the best talent to spread out a little more.

I don't think they will be the next.. but if Crossmen ever FITFO, get a good staff in there, and figure out how to use the talent they have in their backyard, watch out! It's crazy to think the time this thread was made they were still under YEAs umbrella. Crazy. Seriously.. if they get a good consistent staff, and place well into finals.. watch out!

Bluecoats would be my next guess. Bluecoats, Boston, or Blue Knights. Consistently in finals. Bluecoats having the obvious best chance having been in the top 3 and having strong caption across the board.. jsut need to have talent and design line up together and there is your championship.

Boston and BK still have a bit to go.

I don't think there will be a new 1st time champion in the next 10 years, as long as SCV, BD,Crown, Cavalier, Madison , Phantom and Cadets are around its not going to happen.......

• Like 1