San Antonio Crossmen

yeah so everyone who now cant go march THEIR corps should just suck it up cause change is good.

Well, what else is there to do Jeff?

Whining will change nothing. Its happened. The Crossmen have moved. They did what they needed to do, and no one here is going to change that. Yes, some people will not be able to go back to the corps...but what is there to be done about it? What can we do? Find a member to sponsor!

Its a shame some won't be able to go back, but the corps primary duty is to survive...and with this move, they ensured it.

I'm personally thrilled Texas will finally have a div. 1 corps (though now it makes my job harder! :P ).

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i have some background with the Crossmen and I am left confused,concerned,and with many questions the press release did not answer.I will as i usually do got straight to the horses mouth to ask my questions.

I saw something coming as early as 2001 . After being there for 2 years and seeing numbers crunched to make ends meet something had to give at some point.YEA has provided more than most will ever know or understand to the survival of the Crossmen.As a former member and director I thank George and the board of YEA for all they have provided.I believe that this move would not have been made if they were not convinced it would be in the best interest of the Crossmen.

That said I surely understand the plight of the current members and alumni. I myself have many mixed emotions about this move as i sit here trying to guess what the future holds for my corps.So i decided i am not going to guess but i will simply wish my corps the best in this move to Texas. Many did not like the move to YEA but it produced many great shows and 11 years of incredible experinces for the marching members . I mean for me, i get to see my buddy Al Chez play on tv 5 nights a week , i doubt i would have met my new friend had i not been at the Crossmen.I have years of great memories that will stay with me no matter where the corps is moved.

My memories of marching in a cape ,pushing a few busses ,being keyed from a press box for being too loud , Randy driving the bus away from Princeton,and a few other priceless stories will stay with me and my corps buddies for life.

Having marched with folks like Mark Thurston,Jim Dwyer , Jill Moyer,Brett Mascaro,And countless others you have gone on to give back to the activity. I can only say those memories stay with me where I am. The thrill of learning from the likes of Thom Hannum, Jerry Kelsey,and Frank Dorritte to name a few was priceless.

The biggest thrill of going back as director for 2 years and sharing the Crossmen experinces with new staff guys like Ed Devlin,, Dean Musson, Chuck Naffier , Lee Beddis,Evan , Ron and many others was priceless.

So , as the Corps moves to Texas new memories will surely unfold for myself ,alumni and future Bones.I hope they work to keep certain traditions alive and to keep the legacy intact.While forging new ones with new people.

Is it doom and gloom?? No !! IS it Easy street because they moved ?/ NO !! But what in drum corps is ??

Again I wish the corps well and my heart goes out to any current members displaced because the corps is too far away .I look forward to getting some questions answered about the approach that will be used to handle current members . And few more i will keep to myself and my closest friends and corps buddies.

Good Luck BONES !!!!

It was a struggle for a lot of members to march the past two years, when the corps was in our neighborhood, so to speak. Being able to afford flights to TX just may be beyond reach for some. But this whole situation is sure making me think about my time with the Crossmen, and I know it'll have the same effect on some others. We'll sure do our best, I just hope our best is enough.

I'm happy for the corps, and for the potential we have now. I just wish it could've waited until after I aged out :P . It's gonna be a tough time figuring this one out

Edited by vbc33

I rarely ever post here on DCP and try to be as secretive as possible about being in a corps because I don't want anything about the corps to get bashed but now I think it's ok to allow this one post. I AM a member the Crossmen, have been for 4 years. This upcoming year is my ageout. As a member, who no matter what #### or high water comes, I swore I would ageout with a cross on my chest. I fully intend to do that. I have been around since 2003 and have experienced a wide variety of things. But the things I am most proud of are the traditions. I know we are now from San Antonio but we will always be that rough and tough group of kids from philadelphia. I will carry the traditions with me and help restore things that may have started to disappear over the years. However there is one thing I need to ask all of our fans and alumni: Give us all the support you got. Even if you hate the fact that we aren't on the east coast anymore we are still the Crossmen, that corps that was formed back in december of 1974. We will ALWAYS be that corps. Please just give us your hearts and your support. Old guys like me need all the help we can get.

Stick with me here, I'll try not to ramble too much.

So I marched with a local corps steeped in tradition for 4 years - I started when I was 15 and matured greatly through the tutelage provided through the corps. The traditions, the honor, and the pride were deeply instilled in me through this group.

Then I returned home one weekend from college, all ready to begin rehearsals for the new season, only to find out that this corps had folded, leaving behind all that had been built up over the course of 36 years.

To me that was the end of my drum corps career. Until I was called by a friend to come march with another corps 600 miles away. I hopped on the train and marched with that group for two summers. Once again, I had plans to make the 12 hour drive down to camp - I called ahead to confirm the location, only to be told that this group had also folded.

I immediately called another friend, and instead of heading south for the weekend, I headed east, to age out with another corps that welcomed me with open arms.

I can sympathize with all the alumni and the current and future marching members. I know what it is like to lose a corps in your back yard. I would love to be able to watch the group that I used to be a part of, a group that influenced much of my life; I would love to watch them perform and be able to say that I used to be a member there. Unfortunately, I cannot. I am grateful to look back at my final year in jr. corps, and be able to say that I was with one of the classiest, most consistently entertaining groups in the activity, but that will never be the same as looking back and saying, that is the group that made me what I am.

To all of you alumni and members of the Crossmen - I wish you all the best with this new endeavour. Being a part of drum corps in TX has been a great experience for me, and I hope it will be for all of you as well.

Look to the future Crossmen, and take pride in the fact that you were a part of that, and if you have the chance, do what you can to remain a part.

As a returning Crossmen member, I see the move as an adventure, but emotional nonetheless. It's a very disheartening that we're leaving the area where the Crossmen were born, but I can't give up my dream of marching in the Crossmen. I will do what it takes. If anyone wants to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. My email is kb3099@ship.edu. Flying to every camp will be a challenge, considering I could hop in my car and be at camp in less than three hours. But I am determined - I can't wait to take the field without having to hear ".....sponsored by YEA Pennsylvania"

Well, what else is there to do Jeff?

Whining will change nothing. Its happened. The Crossmen have moved. They did what they needed to do, and no one here is going to change that. Yes, some people will not be able to go back to the corps...but what is there to be done about it? What can we do? Find a member to sponsor!

Its a shame some won't be able to go back, but the corps primary duty is to survive...and with this move, they ensured it.

I'm personally thrilled Texas will finally have a div. 1 corps (though now it makes my job harder! :P ).

and in the process, have alienated many kids who were planning on going back, as well as fans, alumni and volunteers.

and IMO sucking it up like this sucks. I can only hope that the NJ corps and DCA corps benefit from this.

Removed out of respect for Crossmen alumni, members, and voluteers...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

I love Aaron's "Positive Polly" attitude :)

XMen + Texas = Good Things. I think audition camp is going to be amazing and I want to challange those that think it's NOT going to improve the corps to attend and watch/listen. They are going to house at the top Texas marching band's home.... It's freaking going to be amazing.