San Antonio Crossmen

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a follower of BOA, so does anyone know if the band the new director teaches marches a cymbal line?

I suggest you watch it and see for yourself. I'm not a BOA follower, but I do enjoy some of the productions.

http://video.google.com

What an amazing emotion filled thread!!!!!!!

I for one don't have a good feeling about this and here are some reasons why.

1. Since the founding of DCI in 1972, the state of Texas has not given rise to nor supported a nationally touring Division 1 drum corps. Why would the move of the Crossmen suddenly change whatever forces exist there that have not allowed a corps to thrive in that state until now?

Past behavior is the best judge of future performance.

2. The Crossmen have existed since 1975. How many alumni does that work out to?

A. 31 years x 128 members per year = 3968 potential alums.

Assume the corps never had greater than 30% turnover in any year and that number drops considerably.

B. 31 years by 90 members per year = 2790 potential alums.

C. Even in the most loyal and active alumni organizations of any kind you are very lucky to get 50% participation = 1395 potential active Crossmen alumni.

D. Assuming that number is a good one and they all donate $100 a year to the corps, the best you are going to come up with is $140,000. No way that pays for the corps operating expenses for even 6 months.

My point here is that try as they might the Crossmen alumni do not have the purchasing power to keep the corps afloat. If they did, the alliance with YEA would not have happened in the first place.

3. The move further complicates the logistics by separating the corps from it's built in volunteer base. Hmmmm... Let's have a fundraiser outside of Philly for a corps in Texas. How long does anyone realistically think that will fly? (Before anyone starts talking about volunteers in Texas reread my first point.)

4. Right now the folks in Texas are all pumped. What happens when the reality of managing an operation such as this takes hold from a logistic and financial standpoint? When you read between the lines of the release it is clear that YEA's intent is to step away 2 years from now.

What happens if the corps is not financially solvent at that point? Nothing has been publicized about a fall back plan should this move not work. Is there one? Or do the Crossmen just fold?

Assorted other questions...

Did DCI have any hand in this decision?

Will they advise as they have done with other Div. I corps experiencing difficulty?

Did YEA even ask DCI for help?

Who "owns" the Crossmen? YEA? The Crossmen Alumni Association? RRHS?

If the Texas move fails, will another organization be able to bring the Crossmen back?

Many unanswered questions here and I feel we are being asked to accept on faith that the best is being done to save the corps. YEA may feel that way but has anyone looked at the turnover in that organization in the last 10 years? Sure it's a non-profit and these types of organizations are ripe for staff changes but is it possible that they don't have their ducks all in a row from a managment standpoint?

Edited by dckid80

Moving Crossmen is total BS. It only benefits those that stand to profit from the move moneterally. Always follow the money. Is anyone going to get rich? Probably not, however, some one stands to benefit. I wonder who it could be?

As for continued support from alumni...how many Baltimore Colts fans still support the Colts? Think they're still rootin' for the Dodgers in Brooklyn? etc., etc.

As an old timer from the '60s I hate what drum corps has become and this is just one more example of adults screwing it up for the kids so as to make things easier for themselves. What about the kids from SE, PA? You don't give a crap for them!

I could go on, but what's the point. I don't think anyone from the San Anotonio Crossmen should expect an outpouring of support from those that have been betrayed.

If you must go, then go, but you go alone.

as has been stated here many times, yes there was a group in VA that was inerested. VA is 2 hours from Philly

I dont know what part of Va that is. I moved to philly from Va. it takes 3 hours to get to Washington DC... Va is south of Dc.

And also, did they (the mystery Va group) put up when it was time? Did they offer everything that the SA group was able to offer?

I respect your opinion but we're going to have to disagree on this one.

It's just that Ronald Reagan's 2005 show is very dear to me. After watching the band perform at the Bands of America San Antonio, TX Super Regional Championships last November, I looked up at the Alamodome roof, thanked god for what I just heard and literally had to fight back the tears. They gave me a moment that I will remember for the rest of my life. Everything from the ballad to the end was just....beautiful. The music (the backfield playing to the climax of the "Prime Minister's Love Theme" from Love Actually to the ending chord) and the emotion that was pouring out of the kids as they were performing.....sends chills up and down my spine like no other.

It was just one of those shows for me.

Sorry for the ramble....

Completely agree.

Moving Crossmen is total BS. It only benefits those that stand to profit from the move moneterally. Always follow the money. Is anyone going to get rich? Probably not, however, some one stands to benefit. I wonder who it could be?

As for continued support from alumni...how many Baltimore Colts fans still support the Colts? Think they're still rootin' for the Dodgers in Brooklyn? etc., etc.

As an old timer from the '60s I hate what drum corps has become and this is just one more example of adults screwing it up for the kids so as to make things easier for themselves. What about the kids from SE, PA? You don't give a crap for them!

I could go on, but what's the point. I don't think anyone from the San Anotonio Crossmen should expect an outpouring of support from those that have been betrayed.

If you must go, then go, but you go alone.

I've been silent until now. You ask how many alumni will still support the corps and then compare it to the Colts. The difference IS we marched with the corps.....did those fans PLAY with the Colts??? Nope! So that IS why their fan base got cut off. For us the Crossmen Alumni, many of us didn't live in PA. In fact, many traveled as far away as Calif., Canada and San Antonio, Texas. So what is to stop us now from supporting the corps that became a family to us?