1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

I definitely hear you. But, I also understand it from the staff's perspective. They really did want the crowd to like the corps. They wanted fans behind them. It's one thing to win, and it's another to have fans eating out of your hand. If I had to pick one or the other, I think I'd pick the support of fans. Maybe that was it? Maybe they thought "Rite" would lead to the same result?

You win...you win again. It doesn't feel better the second time. You've already slayed that dragon. But the fan thing proved elusive. And that bizarre hating on Star. And yes, I remember it very very well. I also remember taking a bus ride with Star in 91 and the members being really great people. From then on it always made me mad when someone busted on Star.

Personally, I didn't find the show patronizing. To me, it showed that Star had heart (they always had heart, and intellect, too, but some of the show designs didn't necessarily wear the heart on the sleeve), and that their heart was in the right place. And lest we forget, the Gulf War (remember the Bluecoats drummer on the 91 broadcast?)...Star wanted to wave the flag and who could blame them? There's nothing wrong with pride in country. There's still nothing wrong with it. :)

Star had such an interesting story...I just wish there was more of the drum corps part of it...

Thanks for the appreciation and for sticking up for us. I definitely would've liked to have gotten the audience behind us and I understood the staff's motivation. I think I'm just making my judgements in hindsight. I wanted something more challenging and cohesive like Rite and would've loved to have seen what that staff could've done with it. So many what-ifs...someone on our forum posted pics of the abandoned corps hall...very sad...oops...looks like this topic has gone astray...now back to Cadets '92.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

92 Cadets was good stuff, but not anything compared to Cavies 92. Cadets placed right where they should've!

Edited by euphguy

92 Cadets was good stuff, but not anything compared to Cavies 92. Cadets placed right where they should've!

I have to disagree. Cavies had nowhere near the demand of Cadets. Especially from a marching and brass standpoint. GE could go either way in my book.

I need to find my video yearbook and post some of our warmups on youtube...I think I'm more proud of that stuff than the show itself.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesye

s pleeeeeez.

Mods have been slacking today. There's also been a TON of links to youtube and other video sites with rehearsal stuff on it, which they usually shut down almost immediately as well.

Dang it...I screwed up my intervals on that set :) Thanks for the pic...I'm saving this one. Do you mind if I post on the Star Alumni forum? Got any others?

The best response we got that year was at a show back east (I can't remember the town except that the show was on a baseball field). There were a whole bunch of vets there with their VFW outfits on and they were bawling throughout most of the show and standing ovations after each song. That made my summer for me...they were a nice remedy to all the booing and "non-responses" we got.

edit:

Radio, what do you mean? I'm not being defensive, I just don't know what you're saying exactly.

that set looks really good to me, especially considering, if i remember correctly, there was a really difficult drill move leading into it beforehand.

im wondering what he meant also, i dont think any way a corps with that high of performance standards could have come in anywhere near 5th or 6th.

although not rivaling Star 85 & 86

have to join in the 92 Star = cheez

a show for NASCAR fans

ew, the ending.. I mean cmon

patronizingly patriotic

92 Cadets show, Americana w/out the pretentious flag waving

the kids worked to reach that show's potential

loved 92 Xmen too

always wondered who killed the finals recording yelling "crossmen drumline" during the soft ending

i absolutely abhor nascar (and am hardly a fan of southern culture aside from that), but still thought it was a great show. look past the design aspects, if thats what bothers you, and look at the performance level. something dci nascar fans, dci wall street fans, dci conscientious objectors, whoever, can all appreciate.

that set looks really good to me, especially considering, if i remember correctly, there was a really difficult drill move leading into it beforehand.

im wondering what he meant also, i dont think any way a corps with that high of performance standards could have come in anywhere near 5th or 6th.

I was thinking the same thing. The hardest sets to hit are often those of recognizable "pictures" from real life. That set looks like a perfect star to me, and yes, the move going into it was not easy.