1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

The show they did that night was great!!! If they had had another days worth of practice, they probably would have won.

Elphaba

I'll agree to disagree with you on that point. The Scouts had a great product by season's end in '76, but no one was beating the Blue Devils that year. I don't care if the season was extended five more weeks, the Devils were clearly the best DCI corps on the field that summer. My opinion, of course. :)

Fran

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is this "everybody" who hated on Star in 1992?

I didn't - great show, impeccably played, marched and designed.

I agree. I will never figure out why a show that performed the works of Morton Gould.... one of the greatest wind-ensemble composers of all time...... is considered "cheesy" or "selling out" by some. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Fran

Best "Second Place":

Way back in 1976, the Madison Scouts made a mid season change to their program. They changed their ENTIRE SHOW. Yep: Music, drill the works. They went into a "Mid Season Camp" and did the deed. Comming out of "Camp" they regrouped to power their way to a spectacular second place finish at DCI Philadelpia.

The show they did that night was great!!! If they had had another days worth of practice, they probably would have won. To "Us" that program was the " best, second place" show of all time... :laugh:

Elphaba

wasn't it originally a disco show? Or have I heard inccorectly?

I didnt see them early, but the pics I have here from Allentown and from finals are split pit.

~G~

Thanks; I honestly don't remember either way. Now that I'm thinking about it, didn't they have drill that went into the pit area in the center?

Man, do I feel kind of old now that I can't remember junk from what I consider my favorite drum corps times :laugh:

Best "Second Place":

Way back in 1976, the Madison Scouts made a mid season change to their program. They changed their ENTIRE SHOW. Yep: Music, drill the works. They went into a "Mid Season Camp" and did the deed. Comming out of "Camp" they regrouped to power their way to a spectacular second place finish at DCI Philadelpia.

The show they did that night was great!!! If they had had another days worth of practice, they probably would have won. To "Us" that program was the " best, second place" show of all time... :laugh:

Elphaba

1989 Phantom Regiment may be the best 2nd place show ever..........

Here's another one for you Medeabrass. Thanks for such a great show that imo deserved the title without a doubt...oh well.

By all means feel free to use the pics I have. I do have some more I need to scan. Will post them when I do.

I enjoyed Cadets in 92, the guard was simply on fire, but it lacked, imo, the pageantry and command that you guys had that year.

1992001.jpg

~G~

I agree with GMichael about BD vs Cadets guard. The Cadets more or less owned guard through most of the 1990s...see well-deserved guard trophies in 89, 91, 93, 94 (yikes!!), and 96. But we saw a taste of what BD was getting into in 1992 with their Big Bad and Blue show...and they started to really dig into it in 1994...and getting darn good at it by 1998 and then WHAM 1999. Since 1998/1999, they have been dominant in guard. Cadets have been stuck in guard from about 1998-2004 (but I will argue that 1998 was DARN close between Cadets and BD...). Then, 2005 brought us a monster from Cadets, and I think 2006 was also quite different and good in its own right, too. So, maybe Cadets have gotten out of their guard design rut...I hope so anyway. Because otherwise, no guard can usually match the innovation, exposure, and technical work of BD's guard...

ps -- don't overlook cadets 2004 guard, either. good stuff there! especially on finals night...

Edited by chris ncsu

I agree with GMichael about BD vs Cadets guard. The Cadets more or less owned guard through most of the 1990s...see well-deserved guard trophies in 89, 91, 93, 94 (yikes!!), and 96. But we saw a taste of what BD was getting into in 1992 with their Big Bad and Blue show...and they started to really dig into it in 1994...and getting darn good at it by 1998 and then WHAM 1999. Since 1998/1999, they have been dominant in guard. Cadets have been stuck in guard from about 1998-2004 (but I will argue that 1998 was DARN close between Cadets and BD...). Then, 2005 brought us a monster from Cadets, and I think 2006 was also quite different and good in its own right, too. So, maybe Cadets have gotten out of their guard design rut...I hope so anyway. Because otherwise, no guard can usually match the innovation, exposure, and technical work of BD's guard...

ps -- don't overlook cadets 2004 guard, either. good stuff there! especially on finals night...

How funny ! I absolutely love 2004 Cadets guard, from costume design, to appearance of the individuals, to silk design, to staging, and actual work...and the baton guy, oh what a silly controversy it started here on DCP, was thrilling.....btw, for those so against the baton guy, did those so adamant that it wasnt drum corps realize 1985 SV also had a female baton twirler ??...hmmmmm

~G~

ps: Agree with just about all of what you said and 98 Cadets ?? , simply outstanding, especialy in the area of GE.

It's funny how the response to '91 led to the american show in '92 and the response to that led to Medea in '93. I've heard that before we decided to "appeal to the masses" in '92 that we were supposed to play the Rite of Spring instead. I really wish the staff had stuck to their guns and gone that direction.

I definitely hear you. But, I also understand it from the staff's perspective. They really did want the crowd to like the corps. They wanted fans behind them. It's one thing to win, and it's another to have fans eating out of your hand. If I had to pick one or the other, I think I'd pick the support of fans. Maybe that was it? Maybe they thought "Rite" would lead to the same result?

You win...you win again. It doesn't feel better the second time. You've already slayed that dragon. But the fan thing proved elusive. And that bizarre hating on Star. And yes, I remember it very very well. I also remember taking a bus ride with Star in 91 and the members being really great people. From then on it always made me mad when someone busted on Star.

Personally, I didn't find the show patronizing. To me, it showed that Star had heart (they always had heart, and intellect, too, but some of the show designs didn't necessarily wear the heart on the sleeve), and that their heart was in the right place. And lest we forget, the Gulf War (remember the Bluecoats drummer on the 91 broadcast?)...Star wanted to wave the flag and who could blame them? There's nothing wrong with pride in country. There's still nothing wrong with it. :)

Star had such an interesting story...I just wish there was more of the drum corps part of it...

Edited by festive