although not rivaling Star 85 & 86

have to join in the 92 Star = cheez

a show for NASCAR fans

ew, the ending.. I mean cmon

patronizingly patriotic

92 Cadets show, Americana w/out the pretentious flag waving

the kids worked to reach that show's potential

loved 92 Xmen too

always wondered who killed the finals recording yelling "crossmen drumline" during the soft ending

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed CBC that summer and was present in Madison for all three shows in the freezing cold. Cadets had a lot of younger kids that year, and everything came together at the end. You could see the improvement Thursday, Friday--and Saturday they were great. Many, including me, thought they should have won. It was the performance of the night. They were definitely screwed out of the color guard trophy. A wonderful, amazing show and definitely Marc Sylvester's best effort.

Yes, I recall not liking it on Thursday and telling my girlfriend that they weren't very good. We saw them together on Friday and she said "what's wrong with them (sarcastically)?" I said this was a different corps than the Cadets from Thursday. This show remains one (of many) of my favorite Cadet shows. :beer:

So though Star was purportedly hated by "everyone" - umm - yeah. You could tell that in the finals recording that year. Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't the crowd going apes**t for them after the final hit/note/cymbal crash, etc?

Who is this "everybody" who hated on Star in 1992?

I didn't - great show, impeccably played, marched and designed.

It was one people should have appreciated more, and did not because of old-school favoritism. The same cluster-#### of people in 1993 were just as ugly toward Star. But many more have heralded Medea as one of the top 2nd place shows of all time, and a top choice as a show that deserved to win in their year.

As far as "everybody" hating on them - slow down, kids.

1992 and 93 Cadets deserved their accolades, but had Star performed the same shows, with the same performance standards, they would have been judged 5th or 6th. (See 1989 and 1990 for reference)

Edited by radiosteele

I agree, though Star apparently felt that audience hatred from the 92 show:

Bill Cook: "Jim and the staff wanted to try to make Star more accessible to the public. They were ready to go back into time and perform a book that would hopefully be identifiable. ...For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was a hostile crowd. His frustrations led him to the 1993 Medea program because he wanted to give the organization a vehicle where they would be in control of their performance from beginning to end."

So you get 93 because of 92, which means a visceral response to what some would consider unfair criticism can truly make an artist break his or her own boundaries and create something truly new.

I still think 92 is an underappreciated little gem of a show.

Cadets 92 is good, too, but I haven't listened to it in years. The Star show I still listen to occasionally.

It's funny how the response to '91 led to the american show in '92 and the response to that led to Medea in '93. I've heard that before we decided to "appeal to the masses" in '92 that we were supposed to play the Rite of Spring instead. I really wish the staff had stuck to their guns and gone that direction. Rodney Dangerfield is still Rodney Dangerfield no matter what he's wearing....might as well let him wear what's he's comfortable in:) ...I love that hornline but wish we had a better vehicle such as Rite. I like to listen to the CD just to appreciate the execution, but I can't stand to watch the show. Some of it makes me cringe. I often wonder how the show would've turned out if Zingali had been around. Instead, we were left scrambling in the spring. Todd Ryan had some big shoes to fill. I think this "transition" period came through in the final product.

I need to find my video yearbook and post some of our warmups on youtube...I think I'm more proud of that stuff than the show itself.

I loved Cadets show that year and would love to have heard it with a more seasoned hornline. I think another couple of weeks together would've done wonders for them.

No, I'm pretty sure I heard they really liked that show. See for yourself...

24e47dbcbf.jpg

"Munchkins":

Those Munchkins got it right.... :)

Now get them to an Alumni show.

Elphaba

Who is this "everybody" who hated on Star in 1992?

Well, you mentioned finals. There are a couple impact points in the show that were pretty amazing and loud and everything fans seem to like, and yet they were met with little to no applause at all. Also, all you need to do is listen to the scores being announced. All Brandt Crocker had to say for 3rd place was "Star..." and you couldn't even hear the rest. One of the loudest crowd responses I've ever heard live. All because they knew Star wouldn't be winning. (Plus it meant Cavaliers still had a chance for a first time win, but make no mistake about it...they didn't want Star to win again.)

But to me, the moment I really knew that people didn't like this show was when I saw them at one of the northeast shows. I think it was in Beverly, Mass. You can't find a more enthusiastic drum corps crowd on the planet. They love drum corps, they love loud, they love the stars and stripes. They totally sat on their hands for this show. I was mystified by it, and knew that if they can't even please the people in Beverly, they're in for a long season with the fans.

Well, you mentioned finals. There are a couple impact points in the show that were pretty amazing and loud and everything fans seem to like, and yet they were met with little to no applause at all. Also, all you need to do is listen to the scores being announced. All Brandt Crocker had to say for 3rd place was "Star..." and you couldn't even hear the rest. One of the loudest crowd responses I've ever heard live. All because they knew Star wouldn't be winning. (Plus it meant Cavaliers still had a chance for a first time win, but make no mistake about it...they didn't want Star to win again.)

But to me, the moment I really knew that people didn't like this show was when I saw them at one of the northeast shows. I think it was in Beverly, Mass. You can't find a more enthusiastic drum corps crowd on the planet. They love drum corps, they love loud, they love the stars and stripes. They totally sat on their hands for this show. I was mystified by it, and knew that if they can't even please the people in Beverly, they're in for a long season with the fans.

1992.jpg

So true. Even in Allentown that year, the response was less than enthusiastic. Everyone was all about the Vanguard. What a shame, I thought it was the best show that year, outstanding brass, cool concept, awesome GE and great toal show. Much cleaner than Cavaliers during finals week too.

~G~

1992.jpg

So true. Even in Allentown that year, the response was less than enthusiastic. Everyone was all about the Vanguard. What a shame, I thought it was the best show that year, outstanding brass, cool concept, awesome GE and great toal show. Much cleaner than Cavaliers during finals week too.

~G~

Did Star split their pit like that all season? I saw that show several times through out the year (early season shows, Preivew, Championships, etc) and I don't recall them splitting the pit. That was obviously a LONG time ago, but I'm just curious...

Did Star split their pit like that all season? I saw that show several times through out the year (early season shows, Preivew, Championships, etc) and I don't recall them splitting the pit. That was obviously a LONG time ago, but I'm just curious...

I didnt see them early, but the pics I have here from Allentown and from finals are split pit.

~G~

1992.jpg

~G~

Dang it...I screwed up my intervals on that set :) Thanks for the pic...I'm saving this one. Do you mind if I post on the Star Alumni forum? Got any others?

The best response we got that year was at a show back east (I can't remember the town except that the show was on a baseball field). There were a whole bunch of vets there with their VFW outfits on and they were bawling throughout most of the show and standing ovations after each song. That made my summer for me...they were a nice remedy to all the booing and "non-responses" we got.

edit:

[snip]...1992 and 93 Cadets deserved their accolades, but had Star performed the same shows, with the same performance standards, they would have been judged 5th or 6th. (See 1989 and 1990 for reference)

Radio, what do you mean? I'm not being defensive, I just don't know what you're saying exactly.

Edited by Medeabrass