1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed CBC that summer and was present in Madison for all three shows in the freezing cold. Cadets had a lot of younger kids that year, and everything came together at the end. You could see the improvement Thursday, Friday--and Saturday they were great. Many, including me, thought they should have won. It was the performance of the night. They were definitely screwed out of the color guard trophy. A wonderful, amazing show and definitely Marc Sylvester's best effort.

That was an awesome Cadets show. They were getting better all the time that year. They really hit their stride come Finals Week and the brass Line was just so powerful on Final's night. Perhaps a little overblowing at the end, but you can definately feel the emotion there. The Cadets really sold that performance on Final's . They were on fire that night. I thought they were going to actually pull out a DCI Title that night.

Edited by X DM

well

first, there was terrible illness that year during spring training.

then, there was the most physically challenging show the cadets have ever done (save maybe 1993 or 1999).

then, the first version of that show wasn't so great. so after preview of champions (where they were 6th in prelims and 5th in finals) marc sylvester, george hopkins, and company basically gutted the show and rewrote it.

mix in a few 16 hour days, and voila!

the "last two weeks" thing was born.

one more day, and i bet they would have won.

THE best 2nd place show of all time.

:worthy::blink: :blink: :worthy::blink:

I'd have to go with 1987 SCV as best 2nd place show. :)

Probably the weakest hornline they've had since '81. I think talent was down because of the goofy show they did the year before (I like that show, but lets face it, it was a little goofy).Some say they WILLED their way to second place. The guard was great , but this was NOT a second place show. Star was WAY better, but there was such hatred for them that there was just no way Star would get a fair shake at Finals.

Yes, that 1991 show was pretty awful, I heard a rumor that some music judges actually thought the temple block used in Short Ride in a Fast Machine was mistakenly thought to be a time-keeping device and not part of the original music?? Pretty hard to believe but I don't know how popular that piece was when it came out... it was only a few years old at the time CBC played it. Anyone else ever hear that?

Yes, that 1991 show was pretty awful, I heard a rumor that some music judges actually thought the temple block used in Short Ride in a Fast Machine was mistakenly thought to be a time-keeping device and not part of the original music?? Pretty hard to believe but I don't know how popular that piece was when it came out... it was only a few years old at the time CBC played it. Anyone else ever hear that?

Never heard that. I don't see why they'd use a pit instrument to be tempo control, since the sound travels forward. In 1985, in Jeremiah, when Garfield built that huge form backfield near the left corner, they used a bass drum to keep time. I don't see why it would be a big deal.