1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

Perhaps you're right about Star '93, at least through 2006 eyes (and ears.) Unless I'm going senile, though, in '93, people were stunned that show didn't place a few slots lower. OTOH, Star '92 deserved their placement. By the end of the season, that show rivaled Cadets and BAC '02 for the Velveeta Award.

Speaking of 2006 eyes (and ears) how many on here have seen that many 2nd place shows before 2000? Sometimes I get the feeling that if it wasn't shown on the Classic Count Down, it didn't happen...

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...why do you think so?

I think the Cadets 1991 show is one of the greatest DCI shows of all time, certainly one of their best.

Oh gosh it was soooo boring. I was a CBC freak ( except for 90 show) and expecting something out of this world. I got abstract and minimalistic.

Gosh, I was a music major and I was trying to find things to like in the show. Let's say that it was an educational year, and the Cadets are allowed to try new things from time to time.

I went to Hershey and the crowd was sooooo out of it. The Crossmen beat them at that show and the crowd wasn't really that kind to the Cadets. Hey, maybe that why Crossmen recruited so well the next year.... Having watch the '91 show from the Cadets a lot, I've grown to appreciate it more, and I appreciate the quality of what their performance. It's not one of my favorite shows from them.

Edited by jjeffeory

Ah, my first Madison show, and the Cadets were my favorite corps that year. Sorry Cavies but the Cadets were robbed! Man how I love that show.

Speaking of 2006 eyes (and ears) how many on here have seen that many 2nd place show before 2000? Sometimes I get the feeling that if it wasn't shown on the Classic Count Down, it didn't happen...

ummmm...probably lots of people.

ummmm...probably lots of people.

Maybe we should make a poll.

It would be interesting to see as I can't recall too many discussions on 2nd place shows besides the "What is the best x place show EVER" thread, Star threads here and here, and Phantom '89.

I'm hoping to raise a little curiosity on some of the less hyped shows a little.

Edited by jjeffeory

Cadets are (in)famous for these "late season pushes" that usually defy my understanding. I wasn't sold on 1990, even, when I watched them being soundly beaten by other corps not long before Championships and suddenly being on top of the whole pack just in time to win. I'm not saying there is a conspiracy, but they certainly knew how to "play the game" better than some others did. I got the impression they intentionally left some things dirty for a long time just to get the extra pushes from cleaning them later rather than early.

THE best 2nd place show of all time.

:grouphug::blink::huh::blink::huh:

SCV '85-88, - PR '89,'06?

Hmm...why do you think so?

I think the Cadets 1991 show is one of the greatest DCI shows of all time, certainly one of their best.

'91 doesn't rank in my top 20 for the Cadets.

Perhaps the "late season push" the Cadets are so famous for is less due to their admittedly impressive work ethic than it is a very dysfunctional and haphazard design process?

Maybe the 16 hour days and late season surges wouldn't be necessary if they got it right the first time more often?

This was very definitely the case in the time period we're talking about here. I spoke with a vet from '91 a few years ago and he said that during movein they had 20+ minutes of music.

I've said it before, but if you go by purely score differential from Thursday-Friday-Saturday, Cadets would have beaten us given one more night. On the other hand, the opposite would have happened in 1990.

Again, I am going purely on scores, and this is completely hypothetical.

I can't say I agree. I marched in 1990 in the snare line. The difference between Cavies and Cadets was 1 tenth on quarters night, 6 tenths in prelims, and 8 tenths in finals. The spread just kept getting bigger and bigger each night. Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying. If I'm wrong, please feel free to clarify...the ole' memory's getting foggier in my old age!!

Really, if you look at the scores in 1990 all season (I just did that yesterday), we didn't really come on hard until around DCSouth in Burningman, Alabama....we were getting spanked HARD by SCV and Star early on. We only saw the Cavaliers twice until the week of finals, them beating us once, and we beat them once. We pulled a couple of BRUTAL 16-hour sessions in the heat in early August, and something just really made us all click.

But for those that don't know what happened in 92....ther corps got REALLY sick with a stomach virus. Virtually the whole corps was down for almost a week. I saw them in a pre-show exhibition in June when I was teaching Bluecoats....they were positively AWFUL!!! They marched something like 32 horns, and it was a mess. I thought it spelled the end for them. Boy, am I glad I was wrong!!!

Edited by Cadetsnare