1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

Cadets are (in)famous for these "late season pushes" that usually defy my understanding. I wasn't sold on 1990, even, when I watched them being soundly beaten by other corps not long before Championships and suddenly being on top of the whole pack just in time to win. I'm not saying there is a conspiracy, but they certainly knew how to "play the game" better than some others did. I got the impression they intentionally left some things dirty for a long time just to get the extra pushes from cleaning them later rather than early.

HUH??????? <**>

Intentionally left things dirty??? We worked our frikkin' a**es off that year, top to bottom, beginning to end! We were dirty in the beginning, as we always are! The corps that beat us were Star (5 times), Vanguard (3 times), and Cavaliers (one time). After 8/6, we were on top.

The "late season push" occurs because it takes the corps that long to get it together! The corps really didn't get that much talent (especially brass-wise). That's all just hard work, and a lot of loooooonnnnnggg rehearsals!

Vanguard's show (IMO) peaked around DCSouth, and Cavaliers' show simply lacked in brass. They had great GE, and a fantastic percussion section, but that brassline simply wasn't up to par with the rest of the corps.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By intentionally, I guess I don't mean they specifically kept stuff dirty, but had a timeline to clean things on and nothing was cleaned before its time. Where other corps might have pulled out a water hose, Cadets have/had a system to get it all together late. I have to think that the staff had discovered that there were more points to be gained by cleaning it all up late with great demand than cleaning it earlier with less demand. Those jumps you can make by bringing it all together in August will mean much more than doing it in July.

You were there, and so you may be able to comment more directly, but I would suspect that staff often said they had plenty of time to clean up X or Y things in the show with the intention of getting to that in time for the classic late season push. They didn't panic and water things down because it wasn't clean when other corps were beating you guys, did they?

Edited by Tekneek

for those saying that the '92 mello book was written too high, where is it that youre referring to? if its the end, i personally love the range exhibited there.

*joins in on the eye-rolling*

:grouphug::huh::blink::blink:

Good-looking female drum major...

As loathsome as Star's show concept was, I thought they were better than Cadets on the night.

I've said it before, but the lovely female DM's hair bow that she started the season with (hot glasses, too!) ended the season in the SkyRyders' DM's possession. How it got their you would have to ask BD93's baritone soloist--I don't know that minor detail!

Yes, that 1991 show was pretty awful, I heard a rumor that some music judges actually thought the temple block used in Short Ride in a Fast Machine was mistakenly thought to be a time-keeping device and not part of the original music?? Pretty hard to believe but I don't know how popular that piece was when it came out... it was only a few years old at the time CBC played it. Anyone else ever hear that?

If any music judge was caught saying such a thing they shouldn't be judging beyond beginner band. For anybody who really isn't familiar with the piece, the block really is in there and I thought it was a pretty cool opener and piece in general. Short Ride in a Fast Machine, To Tame the Perilous Skies, In the Spring--Cadets may not have always been the best or the cleanest, but Star and Cadets always had the reputation for being the hardest-working/rehearsing groups in the activity. Just goes to show that hard work pays off.

One of the greatest shows of all time?

Ok...in your opinion.

One of their best?

Ok....in your opinion.

In my opinion, it was a stinker...but what do I know.

Remember, Nick--1st Amendment. He has the right to say anything he wants. You marched. That gives you authority when you give an opinion. Big difference.

OK, so we can pretty well agree that 91 and 06 both had some common themes as far as placements went. Cadets stuck their neck out there both times, and many others that went better, and those two occassions it didn't work so well. I'd say that by and large that organization will take the results gladly because they have 9 championships and a whole slew of other top 3's to go along with them. No, championships aren't the only thing, but being at the top of your game more than all but one other speaks pretty highly to me. In general, the rest of the activity would do well to learn lessons from this organization. And remember, I'm a PR guy. I've got no dog in the Cadet hunt. But I've learned as I grow older to give up credit where it is due.

Best second place show ever? Geez, crazy topic. Just as many great 2nds as there are 1sts. And in a year like 06 when top 2 leaves out another great show, you have to be able to give it up for the third place show, too. 92 was another hot year and it was extremely enjoyable being able to march then in a lower corps so we could be in the stands seeing the action in the top 12. Pretty cool thing, witnessing history! I highly recommend it sometime.

And cool it with all the references to Star, Phantom, and others. Cadets 92 can stand on its own 256 feet--stomach illness notwithstanding.

The "late season push" occurs because it takes the corps that long to get it together! The corps really didn't get that much talent (especially brass-wise). That's all just hard work, and a lot of loooooonnnnnggg rehearsals!

quoted for truth. until july 15 or so, the cadets are normally just trying to get through the show unharmed.

Remember, Nick--1st Amendment. He has the right to say anything he wants. You marched. That gives you authority when you give an opinion. Big difference.

No, you are wrong.

The fact that he marched and I haven't is completely irrelevant. My opinion, that the Cadets' 1991 show is one of DCI's greatest, has no less value and doesn't "lack authority" just because I haven't marched.

Sorry.

No, you are wrong.

The fact that he marched and I haven't is completely irrelevant. My opinion, that the Cadets' 1991 show is one of DCI's greatest, has no less value and doesn't "lack authority" just because I haven't marched.

Sorry.

Clueless party of one. What you do and the experiences and history and personal growth and enlightenment one brings to gather the data and construct an idea to ultimaltely form an opinion is indeed affected by ones experiences. You have NONE...he has many.....therefore while your opinion is as VALID as his, his will be much more respected and taken into consideration.

Sorry, YOU are wrong.

~G~