1992 The Cadets - To Tame the Perilous Skies

ummm....yeah.....about that.....

I think Star '93 MIGHT have something to day about that.

Perhaps you're right about Star '93, at least through 2006 eyes (and ears.) Unless I'm going senile, though, in '93, people were stunned that show didn't place a few slots lower. OTOH, Star '92 deserved their placement. By the end of the season, that show rivaled Cadets and BAC '02 for the Velveeta Award.

Edited by Phillygwm

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of tuning/intonation...

Does anyone else think that the mello's parts were scored to high in their register? I'm usually all about high mello parts but for some reason, it just didnt seem to blow me away like most every CBC mello line does. Did they march any flugel's that year?

Perhaps you're right about Star '93, at least through 2006 eyes (and ears.) Unless I'm going senile, though, in '93, people were stunned that show didn't place a few slots lower. OTOH, Star '92 deserved their placement. By the end of the season, that show rivaled Cadets and BAC '02 for the Velveeta Award.

I guess your going senile. That crowd was split, but there was no question who the top 2 was despite one of the best Phantom shows in years that year. It was just a matter of who would squeak by.

'To tame the perilous skys' was a catchy show. They really pulled it off in the end, hornline issues aside. Cavies hit the nail on the head that year, finally driving it home. Star's hornline was increadible that year, and the book had some tough stuff in it. Dominated all year until everyone caught up in the end. BD could have told them how that felt before. But Velveeta? I would say more of a nice gouda or really a nice creamy brie.

Speaking of tuning/intonation...

Does anyone else think that the mello's parts were scored to high in their register? I'm usually all about high mello parts but for some reason, it just didnt seem to blow me away like most every CBC mello line does. Did they march any flugel's that year?

Yes. There was an obvious change the next year when Bocook started writing their horn book. For one, the brass seemed to be scored a little lower -- thus giving them a much more full sound -- especially in the low brass. I never was a fan of their pre-1993 sound. A little too high, thin, etc. for my taste. Lead baritone dominant. Not a lot of bottom. (I marched in a corps one year that played a book by one of their former arrangers. Voiced too high. Even for two-valve bugles.)

I don't think they marched flugels that year. But not sure...

Followed CBC that summer and was present in Madison for all three shows in the freezing cold. Cadets had a lot of younger kids that year, and everything came together at the end. You could see the improvement Thursday, Friday--and Saturday they were great. Many, including me, thought they should have won. It was the performance of the night. They were definitely screwed out of the color guard trophy. A wonderful, amazing show and definitely Marc Sylvester's best effort.

Didn't get a chance to see 'em during Championship week, but I watched the Cadets on several occasions that summer, and you're right.... that show just kept getting better and better as the season wore on.

Fran

Easily one of my favorite shows.

I think it was a case where the judges actually got it right. The Cadets were a mess at the beginning of the season , plus they hit the road with several injuries. But I have never seen a drum corps, in my years, improve from what looked like a big bag of poo to a champion caliber ensemble. No one was moving like they were, I feel some of thier intonation issues had to due with that fact. plus it was cold, oh and those were crappy g bugles, oh and who cares if they used flugels....they didn't, flugels don't project they're like sousaphones for the alto voice. Sorry if that sounds harsh....?

To comment on PR 92. They should have won the velveeta award. not until 93 did they poke thier heads out of the sands of the 80's. After all there was more fabric and lemee on that field than at a drag show. CHEEEEEEZY!

Easily one of my favorite shows.

I think it was a case where the judges actually got it right. The Cadets were a mess at the beginning of the season , plus they hit the road with several injuries. But I have never seen a drum corps, in my years, improve from what looked like a big bag of poo to a champion caliber ensemble. No one was moving like they were, I feel some of thier intonation issues had to due with that fact. plus it was cold, oh and those were crappy g bugles, oh and who cares if they used flugels....they didn't, flugels don't project they're like sousaphones for the alto voice. Sorry if that sounds harsh....?

To comment on PR 92. They should have won the velveeta award. not until 93 did they poke thier heads out of the sands of the 80's. After all there was more fabric and lemee on that field than at a drag show. CHEEEEEEZY!

Not until 1993 did they emerge?

Sorry you missed 1989. And though 1991 used some fabric, i don't think i would categorize it as "CHEEEEEEZY" but...hey, it's your opinion.

Though I am having trouble seeing where this shot at 1992 PR is coming from...I can't find any reference to them in this thread beforehand.

Not until 1993 did they emerge?

Sorry you missed 1989. And though 1991 used some fabric, i don't think i would categorize it as "CHEEEEEEZY" but...hey, it's your opinion.

Though I am having trouble seeing where this shot at 1992 PR is coming from...I can't find any reference to them in this thread beforehand.

it was moreso a reference to cheese, which was mentioned along with some other shows....

Fantastic show. Full of GE, squeaky clean (if mostly conservative) guard, and a great (yeah, if a little high/thin) horn book. Their brass scores were much better in quarters (2nd in field and ensemble) and semis (1st in field, 5th ensemble) than in finals (4th field, 3rd ensemble). But, even if they had gotten their quarters/semis brass score, they'd still be 0.2 away from tying Cavies.

Good-looking female drum major...

As loathsome as Star's show concept was, I thought they were better than Cadets on the night.