• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV '89 - Baritone solo in the closer till the end

Phantom '94 - Entire Claire De Lune production

Madison '95 - Closer....

SCV '00 - Adagio for Strings

All I can think of for now

Ok lets see...

87' Cadets I hate to say it they earned that championship.

87' SCV The push at the end

88' Scouts the 360 turn and then wam with the sound.

89' PR the sop scream in the closer, and the meshing boxes while running.

89' SCV The final push where the crowd goes crazy and then SCV just gets louder.

91' SCV Miss saigon is an underrated show very well done.

92' BD when a man loves a woman when they take off thier jackets anf just scream.

94' PR claire de lune (sp?) still can make me weep.

96' PR The closer

Thats enough for now I'll get into the 2000's after I sleep on it.

I will go with the Music of the Night company front in SCV '89

All of Cadets '00

Ostinato and to the end from PR '03

Star '93 The end when they're hitting the big nice chord, which turns dissonant, I love it

1983 Garfield Cadets (the changing of the guard in drum corps). It made sense, but we didn't understand it at the same time. "The drill isn't the same on both sides...can they do that?"

Hmmm...I was thinking the same thing three years earlier with SCV.

:P

Garry

Overall wise I would have to say Cadets 05.....I did not know 99.15 could look so good......

BD 03.....The guard for the entire show was ON FIRE. On the pbs broadcast the camera gets really close to the front sideline and you see the rifles toss that six with an ascending pit run that comes back down with the rifle (it had to have been written for that purpose, that doesn't just happen, unless god had a hand in it) and BAM....all the guys who tossed it, NAILED it.......

The last push in that show and DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.....that huge chord.....chills I say.

All of Cadets 98.

Ok, I can never get over how clean this one sixteenth note run the sops have in Phantom's '05 show, it's kind of near the beginning, they're in these two small chevrons, and OMG, everytime I listen to that particular run, I just can't get over how clean it was and how hard they had to work on that one part.

if I had to pick one show, it'd be Cavaliers 02.

~>conner

'95 Cavaliers - End of Mars.

Oh, my...that's my all-time most amazing moment. It was the most thrilling 2-3 minutes I've had in drum corps. At the end, I turned to look at a couple people I know...one was the wife of a competing corps director...and she looked at me with her mouth practically in her lap. Another was a friend behind me a couple rows who just held up his index finger...and he was partisan to other corps. After that end to "Mars," it didn't really seem to matter what came next...it was impossible to maintain that level of personal excitation.

I've had entire shows that have impressed me to no end, but that moment actually made me quiver...and I didn't feel that way about the show heading up to the final week. Sometimes things just converge at finals and when they do, you've got to grasp on to them, because you might not feel that way again for a long, long time.

Another such moment with The Cavaliers was the backwards-facing company front in "Frameworks" 2002 when the rippled chord change went across the the front like a wave. I've had moments like that with many corps and cherish each of them. (Such as the intro to SCV's "The Canyon," the high sticking in BD's "My Spanish Heart," Phantom's filling in the arc in '96 when the contras completed the big build-up chord in Shostakovich's "Symphony No. 5," the ending of The Cadets in 1987 when they quietly went backfield in "Appalachian Spring" and everyone was encouraging everyone else to be quiet until the very end...the list goes on and on.

We should do a Fanfare column (here comes the plug) and transformative moments that one never forgets, moments that send chills down the spine and raise the hair. boomike@dci.org