What Happened to Capital Regiment?

Bryan,

As respectfully as possible, Rick does mean the best for the corps. Drum Corps is the number one place to go when you want to hear rumors. I would think that if anyone would have understood what Rick was going through it would have certainly been you. I marched Limited Edition for years and the same things happened at LE that happened at CapReg. I also would bet that the same things that happen at other corps. I won't go through the laundry list of rumors but let's defenestrate the kid gloves shall we? Kids are kids, staff members are staff members and people are people, poo will happen on tour. I remember having one of our members get busted in Canada for stealing. I remember having oranges for lunch since there wasn't enough cash flow on tour. I remember a bus driver drinking 15 minutes before taking off in the bus. I personally drank on tour with some of the staff, thus my nickname "Bud" was born. I remember getting threated by a staff member for telling him to back off on advances to an underage male in our drumline who didn't appreciate the advances. I remember watching that same staff member take advantage of a bass drummer. I remember a specific girl we had to eliminate on tour for taking on half the corps and having several days when the bank was closed because of money mismanagement.

Oh, I'm not talking about Capital Regiment either, I'm talking about Limited Edition. Problems happen, and it's strange that these problems only arise in 2006? Come on, the corps has been around for a while now.

I loved my time with Limited Edition and Drum Corps, and would do it again in a heartbeat but this is the real world people and no one is perfect. Rick has taken the corps off the roster for a year because he is fixing the problems. I have seen this man up all hours of the night working on corps issues and he isn't trying to come out here and defend himself, he is trying to fix the problems. Bryan, I'm really not beating up on anyone here because lord knows I've made more than my fair share of bad decisions. I'd follow you into h*ll and back as a director but I will not let anyone pull the feet out from under someone while they are down.

Let Rick reorganize the Corps for the members and let them come back strong in 2008. I am not sitting on the sidelines either, I am helping Capital Regiment in reconstuction. Just look at the new website! Things will get better. He needs your help more than anyone's.

Bryan,

As respectfully as possible, Rick does mean the best for the corps. Drum Corps is the number one place to go when you want to hear rumors. I would think that if anyone would have understood what Rick was going through it would have certainly been you. I marched Limited Edition for years and the same things happened at LE that happened at CapReg. I also would bet that the same things that happen at other corps. I won't go through the laundry list of rumors but let's defenestrate the kid gloves shall we? Kids are kids, staff members are staff members and people are people, poo will happen on tour. I remember having one of our members get busted in Canada for stealing. I remember having oranges for lunch since there wasn't enough cash flow on tour. I remember a bus driver drinking 15 minutes before taking off in the bus. I personally drank on tour with some of the staff, thus my nickname "Bud" was born. I remember getting threated by a staff member for telling him to back off on advances to an underage male in our drumline who didn't appreciate the advances. I remember watching that same staff member take advantage of a bass drummer. I remember a specific girl we had to eliminate on tour for taking on half the corps and having several days when the bank was closed because of money mismanagement.

Oh, I'm not talking about Capital Regiment either, I'm talking about Limited Edition. Problems happen, and it's strange that these problems only arise in 2006? Come on, the corps has been around for a while now.

I loved my time with Limited Edition and Drum Corps, and would do it again in a heartbeat but this is the real world people and no one is perfect. Rick has taken the corps off the roster for a year because he is fixing the problems. I have seen this man up all hours of the night working on corps issues and he isn't trying to come out here and defend himself, he is trying to fix the problems. Bryan, I'm really not beating up on anyone here because lord knows I've made more than my fair share of bad decisions. I'd follow you into h*ll and back as a director but I will not let anyone pull the feet out from under someone while they are down.

Let Rick reorganize the Corps for the members and let them come back strong in 2008. I am not sitting on the sidelines either, I am helping Capital Regiment in reconstuction. Just look at the new website! Things will get better. He needs your help more than anyone's.

Not sure why you would dig up such an old topic if your goal is to move beyond the issues of 2006.

Also, these things you mention (bus driver drinking 15 minutes before taking off in the bus, having oranges for lunch, etc...) are not OK. And they don't happen at most corps. There was obviously something very wrong with the way this corps was being run.

Bryan,

I think you just described a couple of criminal acts. Are you sure that's "just drum corps?"

Bryan,

Yikes. No..... most of that is really amateur and wouldn't happen to a stable drum corps. That is not just "poo".... those things should never happen. I'm sorry you had that experience.

Problems happen, and it's strange that these problems only arise in 2006? Come on, the corps has been around for a while now.

Every single year it's gotten worse and worse. If this was JUST 2006, then people would have been willing to come back. I know of 3 kids so far that were willing to return. And all of the staff, as far as I know, refuses as well. Did you even read this whole thread? We used to have a running joke about the corps folding my rookie year. This was not just 2006.

I loved my time with Capital Regiment, but I know that drum corps doesn't have to be the way it was for us. I know I didn't get the full experience I deserved, and neither did my friends. It does not have to be a summer of organizational nightmares. It shouldn't be. We shouldn't feel like we're being policed.

At some point last month, Dan Acheson met with Rick, Greg, and Mark to talk about Capital Regiment. I am not privy to what was discussed at that meeting, but I do know that DCI did not tell Capital Regiment they had to take a year off but I have to imagine it was clear to everyone at that meeting that there was lots of work to be done in order for Capital Regiment to have a future.

I know he has his plate full running DCI, but it's too bad Dan Acheson couldn't be more of a mentor to some of these corps with organizational issues. Dans outstanding job he did with the Glassmen should be used as a model of how to develop and improve a corps.

I know he has his plate full running DCI, but it's too bad Dan Acheson couldn't be more of a mentor to some of these corps with organizational issues. Dans outstanding job he did with the Glassmen should be used as a model of how to develop and improve a corps.

Now this is the type constructive comments that I was looking to see. Thank you and what a great idea. I used to work with Dan at the University of Toledo when I was in the drum line there and he was very knowledgeable in this area. Maybe DCI can put out a best practices guide.

Not sure why you would dig up such an old topic if your goal is to move beyond the issues of 2006.

Also, these things you mention (bus driver drinking 15 minutes before taking off in the bus, having oranges for lunch, etc...) are not OK. And they don't happen at most corps. There was obviously something very wrong with the way this corps was being run.

:bleah: Yes, you are right, these things are not okay but they did happen and Bryan Tracht was running Limited Edition when this went on, so this is why I'm not believing he wrote the article. It sounded too holier than thou to me. I wasn't speaking of Capital Reg but Limited Edition. Sorry bout the old thread thing though since I just signed on recently.

Bryan,

Just to clarify...

I'm 99% sure that most of the stuff you mention happened in 1991 or 1992, when Mark Holm (Capital Regiment Board member, one of only three) was corps director; in 1992 Rick Bays was a part of the corps management.

So, you're correct: there is obviously a trend...

Jay,

My OP was made over four months ago and was my personal commentary on what happened with Capital Regiment and what I think should have happened with the management of the corps. Read it carefully.

I really don’t understand the purpose or point of your reply and find it very hard to follow. I don’t see what bringing up your negative “LE” experiences have to do with the CR situation.

:rolleyes: Yes, you are right, these things are not okay but they did happen and Bryan Tracht was running Limited Edition when this went on, so this is why I'm not believing he wrote the article. It sounded too holier than thou to me. I wasn't speaking of Capital Reg but Limited Edition. Sorry bout the old thread thing though since I just signed on recently.

Also, I also suggest you get your facts straight when referring to things that happened while I was director of LE. If my memory serves me correct, you didn't even march during the summers when I was the director.

Straight from Jay's Profile

Colts 93, Limited Edition 90,91,92

Copied from your Signature Bryan

Limited Edition - Founder & Director 87 - 91

Edited by et_hd_rider