Who would love the Cadets again?

And I believe the 2003 show is lightyears ahead of the 2006 show in terms of sophistication.

I like 2003 as well as 2006, but how does three random tunes(with the exception of Rocky point) make it sophisticate? The theme behind 2003 was "Our Favorite Things" reffering to three favorite tunes.....and thats about how sophisticate it got. With 2006 you have a continuation of 2005 and constant allusions to the 2005 show(ie-The hammer, crown, and umbrella in the ballad, the kill bill intro, the symbolism between Alice and Dani) all these things make you think about the show. To me thats sophistication.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Cadets shows like 85 and 91 were considered cutting

edge and even bizarre for their time. I thought they were highly

innovative and complex. I would love it if they went back to

that philosophy of innovation. I'm not saying they should go

back to that kind of show, what I mean is to do a show

where they push the creative envelope, not the gimmick envelope.

I have liked just about every show they have done until 05 and 06.

I didn't hate those shows, but I didn't like them nearly as much.

There were too many distractions and not enough clear focal points.

I like 2003 as well as 2006, but how does three random tunes(with the exception of Rocky point) make it sophisticate? The theme behind 2003 was "Our Favorite Things" reffering to three favorite tunes.....and thats about how sophisticate it got. With 2006 you have a continuation of 2005 and constant allusions to the 2005 show(ie-The hammer, crown, and umbrella in the ballad, the kill bill intro, the symbolism between Alice and Dani) all these things make you think about the show. To me thats sophistication.

Maybe it's because when I watch a drum corps show I don't look for little symbols on the field. I sit there and wait to be blown back into my seat from a huge hornline sound, groove along to a jazz chart, be touched by a beautiful ballad, and get brought to my feet in sheer amazement at the end.

When a show can do that, that's sophistication.

.........The Cadets came out in '07 and dropped all vocalization, all props and gimmicks, and just plain and simple rocked the freakin house with some musical powerhouse. No spoofs, just balls to the walls music and maddening drill. Nothing mic'd up but the front line. Would you love The Cadets again? I for one would again assume the posture of Cadets fan. Chances of that happening? I'd say about 3%, maybe less.

Maybe- if they made it a long-term state of mind rather than a 1-year thing...

This horse has been senselessly beaten, killed, beaten again, and ground up into glue which is now holding together the macaroni pieces of a 1st graders picture.

I doubt that there is a single Cadets show I have not liked. I happened to enjoy '05 and '06 very much. I don't mind amplification very much, as long as it's used effectively, such as Crossmen '06. I didn't care for the vocalist during the ballad, but I found the rest of the show to be very exciting.

I absolutely love loud hornlines. I would have loved to have seen 1980 Spirit of Atlanta. I love Phantom, Spirit, and Madison.

But I loved the overall package of Cadets '06, too. I was very very entertained by their show. I think it may have been more accessible if they had not used a vocalist during the ballad.

I would give the Cadets my life's dedication if they did this show

Show entitled- Adiemus

Intro- In Caelum Fero

Ballad- Adiemus and Chorale VI (Chorale VI the first 2:03)

Drum Break- African Tango

Closer- Cantus (in the Chorale VI link but everything past 2:03)

PLEASE CADETS PLEASE, GIVE IT A CHANCE

Arrangers Publishing

Check out the bottom of this page for almost that whole show.......already arranged

I've said for YEARS it would make a WONDERFUL corps show....in fact CC almost did Song of Aeolus in 2005 I believe

I love that show

.........The Cadets came out in '07 and dropped all vocalization, all props and gimmicks, and just plain and simple rocked the freakin house with some musical powerhouse. No spoofs, just balls to the walls music and maddening drill. Nothing mic'd up but the front line. Would you love The Cadets again? I for one would again assume the posture of Cadets fan. Chances of that happening? I'd say about 3%, maybe less.

You kinda make it sound like they've been hated and scorned with these gimmicks for years. People like a drum corps one year and might hate them the next.

They could have a circus next year more so than this year, but who knows people might love them. They have as much of a chance to please the audience as much as any other drum corps. It's not just a Cadet issue that everyone makes it out to be.

I remember when Cadets shows like 85 and 91 were considered cutting

edge and even bizarre for their time.

You're correct. They were considered cutting edge, and controversial even then, and I never liked the 91 show--to me it was a disappointment since I was a rookie and really enjoyed the Cadets of previous years. That whole blanket thing killed the show for me as did the Prelude Fugue & Riffs visual--yuck!

The one show that that made me a fan of the Cadets was Les Mis in 89. I still love it--I've played that one to death year in and year out. There was more emotion in that one show than any 5 shows by any corps or combination of corps, IMO.

The last show I enjoyed was 2001.

Don't lable me a Cadets hater. I just haven't cared for the style in the last 16 years-ish. I really keep hoping that they do a show that really draws me in and keeps me.

The problem with innovation is that you still have to sell your product. If some invention comes out and people don't like it or can't use it in all practicality then it won't sell. I'm just one person who already owns a decent working vacuum cleaner and I don't need a hepafilter.

Edited by ravedodger