Who would love the Cadets again?

how many people criticized them for using the "curves" instead of rifles??

Those things are much harder to spin than rifles. Just a side note.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the 2006 show was the most stupid, awkward, immature, insipid, insulting, painful, silliest, cheesiest, worst drum corps show I've ever seen in my entire life.

:laugh: For a Cadet fan you sure are a tough critic. I guess you would be happy with corps doing the same thing they do every year and not pushing the activity. If the activity was ran to your standards, corps would still be doing basic drill with marching timpanies; not that theres anything wrong with that. Its just the evolution of the activity dude. Life will go on and so will drumcorps.

it was in reference to bsd mstch

Pretty much every one of their shows from 1983 to 2003 is a complete masterpiece in every sense of the word. Drum corps, for the most part, to me, equals the Cadets.

In every sense of the word? Really? Seriously?

I think that's stretching it a little.

But the 2006 show was the most stupid, awkward, immature, insipid, insulting, painful, silliest, cheesiest, worst drum corps show I've ever seen in my entire life.

It was every one of those things more than any other drum corps show ever? Seriously?

Also a bit of a stretch.

Those are both, in my opinion, pretty ridiculous statements. Hyperbole or not, point gotten across or not, it's hard to take either of those declarations seriously.

No you aren't.

People who are really fans of a corps can disagree and not like something they do without beating the dead horse for literally MONTHS to the point where even people who AGREE with you want you to stop talking about it.

Saying it doesn't make it true.

You've not met many Toronto Maple Leaf fans then. :P

You're right, there are many audience members who enjoyed the 2006 show. But as a whole, audience reaction was at an all-time low for the Cadets. Even the members themselves have admitted this.

What members did you talk to? Crowd rxn was def UP from '05. My ears hurt in INdy. Granted it was a dome...but that deafening roar hasn't left my ears....

And watching "that guy" leaping to his feat when the Twilight Zone theme made its reappearance...priceless

Neither happened in '05

But then again, just my opinion

You're right, there are many audience members who enjoyed the 2006 show. But as a whole, audience reaction was at an all-time low for the Cadets.

An all time low? Dating back to the founding of the corps in the 1930s? Again, your grasp of history is astounding. I wasn't aware that anyone had done a study of crowd reaction but, I stand corrected.

Oh, count me among those that enjoyed the 2006 show.

Great..I've been seeing shows since 1964 and I totally disagree. Just how long IS your entire life of watching shows?

I saw my first show in June 2005.

Yes, I would like every corps to do exactly what I like.

No, I want every corps to do what the largest portion of the audience likes. The Cadets were able to be innovative and break new ground in the '80s and '90s all while bringing thousands of screaming audience members to their feet.

No you aren't.

People who are really fans of a corps can disagree and not like something they do without beating the dead horse for literally MONTHS to the point where even people who AGREE with you want you to stop talking about it.

Saying it doesn't make it true.

fan (n.)- an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport, pastime, celebrity, etc.

I am enthusiastic about and admire the Cadets and what they put on the field, for the most part. Who are you to say what a "true fan" is?

:laugh: For a Cadet fan you sure are a tough critic. I guess you would be happy with corps doing the same thing they do every year and not pushing the activity. If the activity was ran to your standards, corps would still be doing basic drill with marching timpanies; not that theres anything wrong with that. Its just the evolution of the activity dude. Life will go on and so will drumcorps.

I would never want corps to do the same thing over and over again. I'm up for corps trying to break new ground while staying within the confines of what I personally believe to be drum and bugle corps, which does not include solo vocalists or spoken dialogue. I don't approve of corps adding foreign elements that are characteristic of other activities, and which have been used in marching band for years and years, in an attempt to be "innovative." Asymmetrical drill was an evolution of symmetrical drill. The pit was an evolution of the percussion section in which previously members had to march with all instruments played. Spoken dialogue and narration (actual English sentences), however, is a completely new addition to the activity and did not evolve from anything. It's not a change, but a mutation.

Why is there such an emphasis on innovation? Change should happen naturally and not be forced. Shows this year such as Phantom Regiment's, Crown's, and Bluecoats' brought absolutely nothing new to the drum corps table. Yet those three shows were some of the best of 2006, and the audience as a whole seemed to agree. Phantom Regiment's show, especially, is one of the greatest shows of all time to me, and seeing it finals night was a completely amazing experience. When change needs to occur, it will. How many people in the '90s were saying, "Man, that show would have been so much better if we could have sprinkled bits of narration throughout the entire thing?"

In every sense of the word? Really? Seriously?

I think that's stretching it a little.

Yes. I know what I believe.

It was every one of those things more than any other drum corps show ever? Seriously?

Also a bit of a stretch.

Those are both, in my opinion, pretty ridiculous statements. Hyperbole or not, point gotten across or not, it's hard to take either of those declarations seriously.

I'm just saying exactly how I feel.

An all time low? Dating back to the founding of the corps in the 1930s? Again, your grasp of history is astounding. I wasn't aware that anyone had done a study of crowd reaction but, I stand corrected.

Oh, count me among those that enjoyed the 2006 show.

Good point. However, the audience reaction was considerably low, compared to many other Cadets shows finals night (and ESPECIALLY compared to their shows in the '80s and '90s).

Just saying how I feel. Pretty sure I have the right to do that.