Who would love the Cadets again?

.........The Cadets came out in '07 and dropped all vocalization, all props and gimmicks, and just plain and simple rocked the freakin house with some musical powerhouse. No spoofs, just balls to the walls music and maddening drill. Nothing mic'd up but the front line. Would you love The Cadets again? I for one would again assume the posture of Cadets fan. Chances of that happening? I'd say about 3%, maybe less.

The question here, as asked, states "Would you love the Cadets again?," and then reinforces that with the corps potentially dropping all vocalization, props, mics, amps, gimmicks, and what not.

Let's be clear here. The question is assuming you once liked the Cadets (when it uses the word AGAIN). So if you once liked the Cadets and let's say you were a fan, I find it hard to believe that you would stop liking them based on 1 or 2 shows. Hey, corps come up with bad shows. Things don't always pan out. This is a difficult process and one that takes much trial and error. True fans, real fans, do not give up on their corps because of a few bad shows. The Cadets have produced some amazing shows that have entertained many, many, many, many fans all over this country. They have done this as well as anyone in the activity, and if you really disagree with this, then fine, but I think you are not being honest with yourself.

So why would fans of this corps run away because of a few bad shows, or perhaps a few controversial shows? And maybe they actually liked those shows?

The question posed here is, I think, more for those who are not fans of the Cadets, for whatever reasons those are, and it's asking whether or not they could ever like a Cadets show. I think the obvious answer is YES. If a corps puts out one heck of a show and performs it well, I am a fan of that show, even if I typically do not care for most shows that corps produces. I think it's as simple as that.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question here, as asked, states "Would you love the Cadets again?," and then reinforces that with the corps potentially dropping all vocalization, props, mics, amps, gimmicks, and what not.

Actually, he is saying he'd like the Cadets "again" as long as they are no longer the Cadets.

Actually, he is saying he'd like the Cadets "again" as long as they are no longer the Cadets.

Were they the Cadets in 2004, when they did not use vocal amplification, even though it was allowed?

Were they the Cadets in 2004, when they did not use vocal amplification, even though it was allowed?

They did amplify the pit, fyi.

However, it's irrelevant. They have been groundbreakers and controversial going back decades...one of the first to use contras...the Peace Sign drill that nearly got us kicked out of Nationals in 1970...themed show in 71 (the "year drum corps died", as the t-shirt said), complete w/libretto..."No More War" show in 72, complete with poster handout..."Amen"....and that is just the 70's and earlier...more recently....taxi doors...the Pledge...the Firehouse controversy...and of course 2005 and 2006.

Hmmm...am I the only one that fails to see the logic in comparing the controversy created by extra guard equipment (taxi doors) to that of having sentences and sentences of the English language booming over a microphone during a drum and bugle corps show?

Think about all of the "revolutionary" changes...contras, the five bass drums, the pit on the front sideline, asymmetrical drill, the buildup system...what do they all have in common? After their inception, they were pretty much without fail used in every single subseqent drum corps show. Do you believe that drum and bugle corps will finally reach its full potential when singing and talking in a show are as standard and essential elements as brass playing, drumming, and spinning? Or will you still need more? Electronics? Woodwinds? Live animals? Jet packs? (OK, that would actually be pretty sweet...)

Edited by Hrothgar15

Hmmm...am I the only one that fails to see the logic in comparing the controversy created by extra guard equipment (taxi doors) to that of having sentences and sentences of the English language booming over a microphone during a drum and bugle corps show?

Think about all of the "revolutionary" changes...contras, the five bass drums, the pit on the front sideline, asymmetrical drill, the buildup system...what do they all have in common? After their inception, they were pretty much without fail used in every single subseqent drum corps show. Do you believe that drum and bugle corps will finally reach its full potential when singing and talking in a show are as standard and essential elements as brass playing, drumming, and spinning? Or will you still need more? Electronics? Woodwinds? Live animals? Jet packs? (OK, that would actually be pretty sweet...)

This is what Im saying in the "prediction thread" establish a new anything goes division in drum corp. I said "digital" but it could be anything, let it go where it needs to. It would be nice to have the traditional marching and playing members but, evolution and revolution will take drum corp into the future. ( cost may hinder it ) but I hope it will still be recognized. If not then we could start a new "retro division" The Cadets are one of the oldest active corps. One of the most successful too. They are doing something right.

Both are legal elements in a drum corps show...so the comparison holds true. It's illogical to think that it doesn't.

Some of the things I mentioned were not encorporated into every show...example: in the 70's the themed shows did not really catch on generally speaking. The Cadets went away from them after 72, actually.

Why does that matter, anyway?

IMO singing and speaking in drum corps will remain much as it has been in MB the past...oh...30+ years or so...used when desired..not used witin every show "just because".

Slightly off topic, but can anyone tell me why they were the "Garfield" Cadets, then the "Cadets of Bergen County" and now simply "The Cadets"? I've heard that at some point in their history they ran into financial problems and had to file for bankruptcy. When they recovered they weren't allowed to use the "same" name for legal reasons, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Can anyone please clarify that?

Thanks

Edited by Piper