Vanguard's Phantom of the Opera

Vanguard's Phantom of the Opera  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Phantom of the Opera

• Both
    • Neither

Personally I prefer the sounds of 1988 but 1989 was more visually apetizing. What do you think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1989005.jpg

Its like splitting hairs. Both shows were awesome and timeless, but for me I'll take 1989.(Above in Allentown, Pa. Aug, 1989) A little more sophisticated, a little more intricate, a tad less theatrical..a show on a mission. An emotional rollercoaster.

1988 was no slouch, the story was told with such power and emotion, but the changes made in 89 help to put it over the top for me.

~G~

88' for me.

The horn line had a much more refined sound in 88'.

The drill from 89' was much better though.

Sorry SCV fanatics, I thought Phantom was better in 89'.

Tough to say for me. 88 was probably technically better, better drill, maybe better music, etc., but 89 had so much emotion. That company front at the end... goosebump city. I'm going with 89.

I like 89 better, the order of the music was better I thought, and the duest sounded better on two different instruments.

88 for obvious reasons.

1989 by far. It was the first one of the two that I saw, and I didn't even see '88 until about year after, so you know how hard it would be to switch.

Musically, I thought 1989 had a much better opener (the beautiful "Angel of Music"), better duets (Andre/Firmin and Christine/Raoul) and a better push in the closer. The only thing that was better in '88 were the soprano solos in "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again."

Performance may have been better in '88, but I like the arrangements so much better in the '89 show that it takes the cake.