Vanguard's Phantom of the Opera

Vanguard's Phantom of the Opera  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Phantom of the Opera

• Both
    • Neither

Bits and pieces of both...89's hornline, 88's guard, 88's theatrics, 89's last 2 minutes, 88's company front...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really listened to 88 but I love the musicality of the drum book in 89. My favourite show of all time because of it.

1988. To me, 1989 was the ######## brother. It just sounded "weired."

I too agree Santa Clara Vanguard should have won in 88, Phantom Regiment in 89.

Edited by garfield_cadets

1989005.jpg

Its like splitting hairs. Both shows were awesome and timeless, but for me I'll take 1989.(Above in Allentown, Pa. Aug, 1989) A little more sophisticated, a little more intricate, a tad less theatrical..a show on a mission. An emotional rollercoaster.

1988 was no slouch, the story was told with such power and emotion, but the changes made in 89 help to put it over the top for me.

~G~

I agree 1989 was more a tour de force 88 was a bit to airy fairy!! 1989 still one of the best years in dci and vanguards show still the best dci show ever!!

1989 by far. It was the first one of the two that I saw, and I didn't even see '88 until about year after, so you know how hard it would be to switch.

Musically, I thought 1989 had a much better opener (the beautiful "Angel of Music"), better duets (Andre/Firmin and Christine/Raoul) and a better push in the closer. The only thing that was better in '88 were the soprano solos in "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again."

unless you saw 1988 live at finals you really can't compare the visual impact and emotion that the 1988 show brought to the field.

I felt bad for the '88 guys in the guard who were not asked to return in '89.

Must have really stung...especially to watch SCV win the next year.

unless you saw 1988 live at finals you really can't compare the visual impact and emotion that the 1988 show brought to the field.

I completely agree. Although anyone will argue that recordings and videos do NO drum corps justice, there are extreme instances that stand out, and 1988 SCV is one of them. I watched that show from the 5 yard line (I was working the Spirit souvie stand in the back of Arrowhead and I worked my way around to an empty section to view Vanguard). That show moved me like no other...I had lumps in my throat and tears in my eyes. The company front was among the most emotional performances I've ever seen.

In contrast, 1989 didn't move me. It was technically superior, but lacked the emotion I had witnessed from the previous year.

Although I'd love to say that SCV should have won in 88, I can't argue with Madison's win. What SCV had in emotion, the Scouts had in power and precision.

this is a tough one. they both have lots of power and emotion. however, i would have to give the slight edge to 89, due to the amazing company front at the end... i get goosebumps everytime i watch it

Me, I'd have to say 88 :)

And to see that show still get such lavish praise to this day, honestly brings a tear to my eye.