DCI Dominance

After Cavies winning DCI this year, clearly we're in the midst of the Cavaliers dynasty. They have won 5 titles in the last 7 seasons. So, I wanted to examine past Corps that dominated over period of seasons and I put together a chart of Drum Corps Dynasties in DCI history. I made my own accessments on what would be considered a dynasty. And perhaps I'm misusing the word, but for sake of this post, I wanted to use this chart as a way to compare past Corps dominance with the Cavies current dynasty. Being a west coast :P homer, I thought I start out with California Corps, interesting result. Check it out, if your interested in tweaking my spreadsheet, let me know and I'll email you the excel spreadsheet I created, perhaps you can post your result.

19174937.jpg

interesting chart, nicely done!

Just a few questions...how does one Vanguard win four years after their "repeat" equal a dynasty? And why wasn't the Cadets' dynasty extended to 1993 so they could have one more win...how do you decide where a dynasty ends?

Just a few questions...how does one Vanguard win four years after their "repeat" equal a dynasty? And why wasn't the Cadets' dynasty extended to 1993 so they could have one more win...how do you decide where a dynasty ends?

For The Cadets, 6 wins in 11 (83-93) seasons is a smaller percentage of wins than what Jeffe originally has. It 'helps' the Cadets keeping their dynasty time smaller.

For Vanguard, 3 wins in six years isn't bad at all, and could, I guess, be considered a mini-dynasty.

As for Midwest dominance, the Cadets don't qualify since they are an eastern corps. However, there are two separate runs by the midwest...from 88-96,. a midwest corps won 5 out of 9 times. Then, there is the Cavaliers on their current run of 5 out of 7.

I'm not sure any region will ever come close to matching the 10 out of 11 years of the West coast winning it all.

Very nice chart. Very interesting.

Obviously there are many ways to look at the various dynasties in DCI. I think the original poster did a nice job.

For SCV, I think people have to remember that SCV was a dominant corps coming into DCI in 1972. In 1968, 69, and especially 1970, they were one of the best in the country, but we didn't have shows that featured everyone. For me, the SCV Dynasty is probably more from 1969 to 1974. But I realize that 3 of those years are prior to DCI.

I think he has it right on the Cadets. Their first and only real dynasty is 1983 to 1990. The 1993, 1998, 2000, and 2005 titles are all separated by 2 or more years. However, one must remember that the Cadets actually had a better 1990s than they did in the 1980s. If you look at corps that competed every year during the 1990s (1990 to 1999), the Cadets had an average placement of 2.4, the best among all corps that competed during the whole decade. Only Star of Indiana would have been higher, but they stopped competing after 1993. So in a way, you can also make a case for the Cadets having been the dominant corps of the 1990s, with 3 titles, 4 second place finishes, a 3rd place finish that was really a runner-up finish, and 1 fourth place and 1 sixth place. But if you do that, then you also proclaim SCV the kings of the 80s, SCV kings of the 70s, and Cavaliers kings of the 2000s.

However, I think the Dynasty label works best when we consider a combination of wins that come in successive years, with maybe 1 year off in the string.

When BD won 5 of 7 from 1976 to 1982 I thought I would never see that again. Then the Cadets came close with 5 of 8. But the Cavaliers have been amazing and I have to remind myself just how good they have been. I love their shows, and they truly have set drum corps on a new path of show design and staging. The future should be exciting.

For SCV, I think people have to remember that SCV was a dominant corps coming into DCI in 1972. In 1968, 69, and especially 1970, they were one of the best in the country, but we didn't have shows that featured everyone. For me, the SCV Dynasty is probably more from 1969 to 1974.

SCV vaulted to the top in 1970, trading wins with the top corps, and they won VFW in 1971. But they weren't at that level yet in 1969 - in fact, they suffered their only prelim cut that year, finishing 13th at VFW.