Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

I would say not to play anything the corps has done before. Carve a new, unique identity, but within the framework of what the corps can find achievable.

Be different, but still be Sky. A greats hits show is not a way to do something uniqe, at least not yet.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no clue why yall ask for advice from the underlings.You never take our advice anyways. :( :(

this is true. however, Dreamgirls offers a lot more material other than what Sky did in 83 and 84

I have no clue why yall ask for advice from the underlings.You never take our advice anyways. :( :(

Well my friend, if you ever work with me, you will find out that nothing could be further from the truth. For example, I don't think we have ever had a Renegades show where at least one tune didn't come from a fan or corps member's suggestion.

As for Skyliners, the new Corps Director, Harry Eldridge Sr., will have the final say in what the 2007 show will be. However, at this stage, the team is gathering as much information about what the Skyliners, and what the fans, want to hear the 2007 Skyliners play. Personally, I am trying to find out what tunes in the history of the corps have really defined the Skyliners sound.

Having said that, I think it would be competitive suicide for the 2007 Skyliners to dust off the charts from, for example, 1980, and call it a show. However, it would be equally bad for the Skyliners to lose its identity, and suddenly try to be the Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, Renegades, Bushwackers, blah blah blah.

The goal, IMO, is to find music that will enable the New York Skyliners to be the New York Skyliners, and no one else ... but that will also enable the Skyliners to fill the corps, and quickly return to world-class DCA Finalist status. With some help from the hundreds of Skyliners alumni, and a lot of hard work from within the organization, I believe this can, and will, happen.

And I already apologized in advance for the Chaos that will result in DCA when it does. ^0^

Lee

p.s. Applications are still being accepted for the 2007 Staff.

I think an all latin jazz show might do the trick.

'do wha - do wha', signature whale at the end to top it off.

I know that might step on their nieghbors toes but they could rip the lid off a show with Latin.

Mom

Well my friend, if you ever work with me, you will find out that nothing could be further from the truth. For example, I don't think we have ever had a Renegades show where at least one tune didn't come from a fan or corps member's suggestion.

As for Skyliners, the new Corps Director, Harry Eldridge Sr., will have the final say in what the 2007 show will be. However, at this stage, the team is gathering as much information about what the Skyliners, and what the fans, want to hear the 2007 Skyliners play. Personally, I am trying to find out what tunes in the history of the corps have really defined the Skyliners sound.

Having said that, I think it would be competitive suicide for the 2007 Skyliners to dust off the charts from, for example, 1980, and call it a show. However, it would be equally bad for the Skyliners to lose its identity, and suddenly try to be the Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, Renegades, Bushwackers, blah blah blah.

The goal, IMO, is to find music that will enable the New York Skyliners to be the New York Skyliners, and no one else ... but that will also enable the Skyliners to fill the corps, and quickly return to world-class DCA Finalist status. With some help from the hundreds of Skyliners alumni, and a lot of hard work from within the organization, I believe this can, and will, happen.

And I already apologized in advance for the Chaos that will result in DCA when it does. ^0^

Lee

p.s. Applications are still being accepted for the 2007 Staff.

your probably right lee.It will be interesting to go back and see if the SL pick anything from this thread.

Something that I would've liked when i marched there (73-84) was to do a show that really delved into what New York City is all about. There are so many flavors and colors to be explored from the birthplace of hip-hop (Bronx) to Broadway and everything in between. The one thing I remember when I first saw the Skyliners as a young kid was being able to envision being on a subway or just walking the streets of the town I grew up in. Alot has changed since then but New York is still the most diverse place in the country (imho) maybe that thought may be something to help guide the process. Good luck