Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

Something that I would've liked when i marched there (73-84) was to do a show that really delved into what New York City is all about. There are so many flavors and colors to be explored from the birthplace of hip-hop (Bronx) to Broadway and everything in between. The one thing I remember when I first saw the Skyliners as a young kid was being able to envision being on a subway or just walking the streets of the town I grew up in. Alot has changed since then but New York is still the most diverse place in the country (imho) maybe that thought may be something to help guide the process. Good luck

Hmmm, working the multiple ethnic and neighborhood personalities of NYC.....

Just keep 'dat brassy Sky sound Lee and sounds good to me.....

s/ Sky fan since 1974 no matter where they place.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about any of the shows from the 60's re-scored for today's horns and drums. Sky rocked back then, it would give them a chance to go back to their roots and give the young ones a look at what a wall of sound they had!

Let's try to leave all the old shows in the file. Time for some NEW New York music. There's so many NEW good ones out there that reflect our New York style that nothing should be "pulled from the past"...and god help anyone who "tinkers" with Hy's music...leave that for the Alumni. :worthy:

IMHO

Barbara

Lee, it's great that you'll be working with us this year. I can't wait to meet you. Finally introduced myself to Sara at the E. Hanover parade and she's great! Since joining the corps in 1986, I've found a love for this organization that will never die...and hopefully you will too. Lots of good hearts and hands out there ready to get New York back to where they need to be.

Garbarina, Let's Go! Never say die! Never will!

Edited by flaggirl86

how about any of the shows from the 60's re-scored for today's horns and drums. Sky rocked back then, it would give them a chance to go back to their roots and give the young ones a look at what a wall of sound they had!

Forget re-scoring. Build a show around Hy's original charts with a modern interpretation. Many of his charts are timeless. Oh, and for what its worth, if Hy were alive today he probably would be doing just that - recycling with a modern interpretation.

Forget re-scoring. Build a show around Hy's original charts with a modern interpretation. Many of his charts are timeless. Oh, and for what its worth, if Hy were alive today he probably would be doing just that - recycling with a modern interpretation.

Exactly.....It's all about identity. Dreitzers music is who you are :worthy:

again I say......"A Portrait In Brass Part II"

I would say not to play anything the corps has done before. Carve a new, unique identity, but within the framework of what the corps can find achievable.

Be different, but still be Sky. A greats hits show is not a way to do something uniqe, at least not yet.

I agree... if the corps is reaching a turning point, they should REALLY commit to it and add to their already illustrious identity in some way.

With the success of the classical route that Buccs have been having, maybe a DCA arrangement of The Big Apple (Symphony No. 2) by Johan de Meij. I know Cadets did the piece in '99 but Skyliners could put thier mark on that piece.

Edited by sburstall

With the success of the classical route that Buccs have been having, maybe a DCA arrangement of The Big Apple (Symphony No. 2) by Johan de Meij. I know Cadets did the piece in '99 but Skyliners could put thier mark on that piece.

Good luck getting the rights to that... from what I understand de Meij won't let ANYONE arrange his pieces any more. Some corps out in the Midwest (Oklahoma I think?) used Lord of the Rings without permission and that was pretty much the end of that.... From what I hear. Can anyone confirm this?

Many of us here on DCP are show designers, band directors, and/or alumni of the Skyliners or other various drum corps, and most of us have seen the New York Skyliners over many years of DCA competition.

Here is a serious question for you (please save wacky jokes for another thread).

If you could pick music or a show theme for the New York Skyliners -- what would it be?

It doesn't matter what corps you are with right now, or where you marched before -- any and all input is good.

Hmmm.....

Open with "Little Ol' New York" and close with "Give My regard to Broadway" and all will be right with the world!

I do think a show of music from current Broadway musicals might work with a bit of the above mixed in.

I'm with Snappetesmom, throw a hot latin/cuban jazz chart in there somewhere. I agree with the folks who opt for change...always. If I had my way, I'd never play a song I played previously. Thats what the Renegades do, they come in with a new sound, image and ideas. I don't think they hired Lee to play their greatest hits show.