Marching Bands and Drum Corps Playing Together

In about a week and a half my corps will be playing "America the Beautiful" with the Gettysburg High School band at a concert. This is not the first time this has been done as every year the Lancers, local high schools, local town band and forget who else play this arrangement at Hanovers Memorial Day ceremonies. Arrangement was written by the Lancers horn instructor who is also a local band director so he knows both sides.

Anyone else know of a corps that has played with a marching/concert band or other non-drum corps groups. And jamming with the Mummers before a parade doesn't count. ^0^ (Been there, seen that. :doh: )

And before anyone makes the comment - we play G horns. :)

Edit - I had marching/convert band, talk about a Fruedian slip :doh:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

On their Myspace, the Cadets once had a clip of them and another high school band playing "Cadillac of the Skies" together, and it was absolutely beautiful. Yes, with woodwinds and all.

I never want to see woodwinds in drum corps, but you have to admit, they add a whole new texture to the ensemble sound. I'd love to see a Marching Bands International in the same vein as DCI, so long as it's not affiliated with them and remains a completely separate entity.

slightly OT - in my mind it is the pureness of the uniform brass texture that gives corps its unique sound and power

As for bands - I remmember a show up in Minnessota in 01 and 02 (think it was the MBI's homeshow) where a local marching band performed in exhibition to begin the show.

On their Myspace, the Cadets once had a clip of them and another high school band playing "Cadillac of the Skies" together, and it was absolutely beautiful. Yes, with woodwinds and all.

That was the YEA! all-star concert band...USSBA directors nominate kids to play with that group. The video you mention might be when they were at the Trenton War Memorial theater in NJ. I know they did that number together then...spring 2004.

My daughter was in the all-star percussion ensemble that year...and played one of the drum heads in the audience during Robt. W. Smith's "Inchon" that the band played.

Arrangement we use has everyone playing a few measures fanfare then woodwinds only for the first verse. Then all play for the second verse and the closer. Hard to tell when playing from the back but probably sounds like a band with an overloaded brass section.

Idea is for anyone who plays a MB/DC type instrument to be able to join in at the Memorial Day ceremony.

The Cadets do clinics several times each year with kids from the local high schools wherever they are at the time. It always ends with a big show and tell with the clinic students and the corps playing together.

Also at Memorial Brass every year the Cadets and a USSBA concert band (I think) play Cadillac together.

In 04 at one show the Cavaliers did a neat thing where a whole lot of high school marching band kids actually learned drill to their opener and before retreat they marched it with the Cavaliers (The drill was obviously not integrated with the Cavies drill, but it was still a neat idea)

well... I dunno. I'm all for the unity and fun of it all...and it's good PR I'm sure.

But something about that picture in my mind of a swingin' clarinet line doing a solo...followed closely by a soprano line from Phantom

or something just seems ... I dunno... imbalanced and unfair. :P

OK... I'm kidding of course. But you get the picture...

"Bands & Corps Together":

Not at all new. The USAF & USAF Academy drum corps used to march with and perform with their respective "Marching Bands", as did the USMC drum corps. "Way Back" the USMC corps (DC) even had Bb bugles for the troops to use when they did the "Combined" bit.

In the early 1960s there was a high school band from Loris SC. They were "Also" a drum & bugle corps. In 1964, they appeared at Fleetwood/DCN's Carnagie Hall. The first half of their show they performed as a "Band". They then switched to bugles and played the second half of their show as a drum & bugle corps.

Elphaba