The Crossmen still belong in Pennsylvania.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People from Delaware probably felt the same way when they moved to PA.

Who is to say where the corps belongs as long as they are active and healthy?

People from Delaware probably felt the same way when they moved to PA.

Who is to say where the corps belongs as long as they are active and healthy?

What??? :laugh:

Tx I think you misunderstood when you heard they were from Delaware County, PA. As well as Philly, West Chester and Allentown.

They did move to Delaware state for a while back in the '90s, but the corps was originally from PA.

Yes, it hurts but deep down inside I think every alumni wishes the best for the corps, even if it takes them to Texas.

Inaction causes action. In this case, that action came from those outside the state of Pennsylvania, and the inaction came from within. If PA wanted the corps so bad, they would have saved it. It would have been healthy enough years ago that the merger between the Crossmen and YEA woud never have happened. But when you leave your future up to an outside organization, you then become reliant on forces and circumstances that may not have your best intentions or your history in sight.

I am not saying YEA did not have the best intentions of helping the Crossmen, because I believe they did...and they did help. But once that deal was cut many moons ago (to join YEA), the Crossmen lost some leverage with alumni and long-time fans who wanted to see the corps stay in PA. No longer was the corps itself in charge of its own destiny, but YEA was. Look at any company that gets bought-out by an even larger company. Once this happens, the smaller company loses a lot of leverage. Everything from products, to salaries, to location of corporate headquarters and plants, to total workforce can change...and usually does.

Maybe this is the effect of corperate mergers like this in drum corps, and perhaps there was a tendancy for alumni and volunteers to back off when YEA rushed in to "save the day." The fault is not YEA's, and I have never looked at it that way, but in hindsight I believe that the Crossmen should have considered not signing on with YEA, and instead should have tried going inactive for a year and carried out a more extensive search for benefactors who would allow the corps to operate in the Philadelphia area. But that's hindsight, and it provides us with the 20/20 view of a problem that, at that time, seemed to be solved by allowing YEA to manage and operate two corps. Very few of us could have predicted then that YEA would ultimately "sell" the corps to a group in Texas.

I remain optomistic that this organization in Texas will do well, and that many Texas and PA kids will be marching Crossmen.

Edited by jwillis35

What??? :laugh:

Tx I think you misunderstood when you heard they were from Delaware County, PA. As well as Philly, West Chester and Allentown.

They did move to Delaware state for a while back in the '90s, but the corps was originally from PA.

My sister went to Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, PA.

Many times she was asked "Where exactly in Delaware is your school". :laugh:

3 words... get over it.

It may totally suck, but they're better for it. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but they moved on. Let's not say they "belong" where they aren't.

time will tell if they're better or not. right now i'd say a lot of people rightfully choose to be skeptical.

Inaction causes action. In this case, that action came from those outside the state of Pennsylvania, and the inaction came from within. If PA wanted the corps so bad, they would have saved it. It would have been healthy enough years ago that the merger between the Crossmen and YEA woud never have happened. But when you leave your future up to an outside organization, you then become reliant on forces and circumstances that may not have your best intentions or your history in sight.

I am not saying YEA did not have the best intentions of helping the Crossmen, because I believe they did...and they did help. But once that deal was cut many moons ago (to join YEA), the Crossmen lost some leverage with alumni and long-time fans who wanted to see the corps stay in PA. No longer was the corps itself in charge of its own destiny, but YEA was. Look at any company that gets bought-out by an even larger company. Once this happens, the smaller company loses a lot of leverage. Everything from products, to salaries, to location of corporate headquarters and plants, to total workforce can change...and usually does.

Maybe this is the effect of corperate mergers like this in drum corps, and perhaps there was a tendancy for alumni and volunteers to back off when YEA rushed in to "save the day." The fault is not YEA's, and I have never looked at it that way, but in hindsight I believe that the Crossmen should have considered not signing on with YEA, and instead should have tried going inactive for a year and carried out a more extensive search for benefactors who would allow the corps to operate in the Philadelphia area. But that's hindsight, and it provides us with the 20/20 view of a problem that, at that time, seemed to be solved by allowing YEA to manage and operate two corps. Very few of us could have predicted then that YEA would ultimately "sell" the corps to a group in Texas.

I remain optomistic that this organization in Texas will do well, and that many Texas and PA kids will be marching Crossmen.

part of the problem was YEA tho, because it did turn off many here in PA that would have liked to help.

not saying that's the right call, and i'm not saying it isn't either, but it IS fact