Classical music in DCA?

Good music, no matter what the genre, sells......if performed well.........and presented well :ramd:

Edited by Jimbalaya

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think classical music on the field is amazing if it is properly executed. However, the same goes with jazz or anything on the field. My personal two all time favorite corps are Phantom and SCV. You can't get more classical then that. How they are able to take classical pieces from over 3 centuries ago and execute it on a field with modern interpratation is simply amazing. I don't think Shostakovich, Korsakov, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Debussy, or many of the great composers could ever have dreamt of such an idea.

I think Bucs had an amazing show this year. Granted it sounded almost like SCV in 2004, but what DCA show isn’t a rip off of some DCI show. They had an amazing arrangement of Claire de Lune. Amazing pit book!!!

As far as star goes you just can’t go there. I didn’t get to see them during there glory days live, sorry young guy here, but love them. What I have seen and heard, I really hope they come out with an All Age Corp and blow the people out of the stands with their classic sound.

My response to questioning classical being on the field is it should be there. I actually would challenge more drum corps to do it. It takes a little bit more talent then squealing a few loud notes from 5 people standing on the front yard line!

Is Carmen considered Classical?

If it is I'm sure that the DCA fans will love it.

Mike

Is Carmen considered Classical?

It's opera, so yes (some music prof is going to jump in and say it's romantic period, but it's overall classical).

If it is I'm sure that the DCA fans will love it.

Cabs playing Carmen - oh yeah......... b**bs :huh:

I think a single selection of symphonic music in a show is highly appropriate.I just hate to see corps base their whole show around it.

I love the idea of something for everyone in a show theme.I would hate to loose members just because they didn't want to do a ALL jazz show or a whole Gospel show or for that matter a whole Classical show.

you can't please everyone all of the time. trying to do so will only cause more issues

I guess the flip side is that many members pick a corps BECAUSE they like the style of music the corps plays and like the fact that they will play a show of that style. Members of the Bucs join either becuase they love the style of our music and want to play it, or want to be part of our corps regardless of the repertoire we play. Folks who want to play a jazz show and for whom that's a critical factor likely will audition for Blue Devils or Bluecoats over Phantom Regiment or Santa Clara Vanguard. Or folks who love jazz but want to be members of SCV will go to SCV anyway. Same thing goes for DCA.

I also have to believe that most fans can appreciate the quality of a corps, a performance or a show design even if the repertoire isn't their favorite. A well-designed and well-performed show is usually appreciated by a well-informed fan.

We all have our styles, and as many have said, the fact that they're so different from corps to corps is one thing that makes DCA so rich. So we should all do what we're good at and what's true to our identity. And do it well. #### well.

Not to ruin a surprise or anything, but it's safe to say that the Bucs will be performing classical and symphonic literature in 2007! :P

Happy Thanksgiving.

I guess the flip side is that many members pick a corps BECAUSE they like the style of music the corps plays and like the fact that they will play a show of that style. Members of the Bucs join either becuase they love the style of our music and want to play it, or want to be part of our corps regardless of the repertoire we play. Folks who want to play a jazz show and for whom that's a critical factor likely will audition for Blue Devils or Bluecoats over Phantom Regiment or Santa Clara Vanguard. Or folks who love jazz but want to be members of SCV will go to SCV anyway. Same thing goes for DCA.

Yep - if I had the cash to go where I wanted (and the talent and youth :( ) I'd be going to SCV or Phantom for exactly that reason.

Not to ruin a surprise or anything, but it's safe to say that the Bucs will be performing classical and symphonic literature in 2007! :P

I hope there will be a general announcement after the corps hears about it this weekend? B)

Edited by kusankusho

Yep - if I had the cash to go where I wanted (and the talent and youth :( ) I'd be going to SCV or Phantom for exactly that reason.

I hope there will be a general announcement after the corps hears about it this weekend? B)

I will make the announcement Sunday, and if I can ensure internet access from Twin Valley High School, I'll make it simultaneously to the announcement to the corps! We're very excited about it!

Edited by TomMoore

The simple answer, based on audience reaction to the Buccaneers over the past several years, is that lots of people are entertained by "classical music" in DCA.

:wub::wub::music::huh::ph34r::wub::wub:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I know our shows (Renegades) wouldn't have had nearly the depth and impact over the years without utilizing at least some classical pieces as we have. I can't imagine DCA without.........well, every corps doing the same genre of music the same way???

How boring!

Any style of music if performed well can be highly entertaining. If you have a bias again classical (or any genre for that matter), maybe it's because you just don't understand it enough to appreciate it. Or maybe you just really closed minded...which is a shame cause you close yourself off to so many wonderful peices.